Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Question

Options
I'm going to try them today for the first time and was wondering if anyone had any tips.

I'm going to do what looks like the easy way:  halve the Jalapeño, remove the veins, stuff with cream cheese, wrap with bacon and cook indirect. over a drip pan.  What I don't know is what temperature I should use and roughly how long they'll take to get done.

Any help will be appreciated
=D>

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    325-350 if goin indirect. Depending on thickness of bacon prolly take at 45min or so.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Make sure you cook them long enough. The longer they cook the mellower they get!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I cook direct raised. I mix 50/50 cream cheese and goat cheese with a rub mixed in. No drip pan. 350/400 raised wrapped in bacon. Sometimes I will use maple bacon.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    @Mickey Do you get much flare-up from the dripping?  I wanted to go direct but was afraid the flames might screw things up

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
     Direct raised grid around 350*F or indirect at the same temp. The finish on the bacon will let you know when done. For the next round try the following: I prep the jalas as you do, but then I load 'em up with hot sausage/chorizo (cooked prior) mixed with cheese, the heat of which is defined by the consumer.  You can also use shrimp, left-over pulled pork, brisket -about anything you can imagine.
    @henapple has a version with chocolate and cherries.  I will defer to him for the details but never without bacon.   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Wear vinyl gloves when cleaning the peppers. +1 on adding cooked chorizo to the creme cheese
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Farbuck said:
    @Mickey Do you get much flare-up from the dripping?  I wanted to go direct but was afraid the flames might screw things up

NO...... Raised makes you a better cook especially when adult beverage is in play.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    I keep mine whole, split down the middle and stuffed with a mix a cream cheese and shredded cheese.  If you like them spicy, leave a few seeds and some membrane in the pepper. These have to be my favorite app.
    Oh, and the thicker the bacon the less likely that the overlapped bacon will fully cook, so just something to consider if you someone who might not like the undercooked pieces... (like my wife). I love the thick bacon but she's not really a fan... she prefers the regular thinner bacon for ABT's.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @mcmac-not to hijack the thread but if you want a great thick bacon app then check out "pig shots".  The thick bacon is the key.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    @lousubcap, I will have to check them out... Never done them before!! Thanks for the suggestion.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR