Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire grate - Is brass okay?

I'm in need of replacing my  fire grate.
I was digging around in my shed and found this old brass drain grate. It's very close to teh  size of the original cast iron fire grate that comes with the BGE.
Just wanted to run this by you guys before I used it in my egg.  Will it have an adverse effect/affect if I use brass instead of cast iron or stainless? 
I know you are not supposed to cook using brass or bronze. 
The fire grate gets extremely hot, I don't think there is a problem with it holding up under the heat.
Any reason not to use brass as a fire grate?

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    What purpose going from OEM CI to the brass floor drain? Is the CI one broken?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited July 2014
    @NPHuskerFL Yes my oem cast Iron fire grate is warped and cracked. Either I use this brass drain grate or I buy a new grate from the Ace bge dealer. Why should I waste the money on a new one if this works just as good or maybe even better?
    I wish that nolaegghead was around because I feel confident that he would know the answer :)
    New Orleans

• NPHuskerFL
    I only ask because mine broke and the dealer replaced at NC. You may be able to do the same. Or if ya don't care whatever, that's cool. Yes, brass should be fine if it is in fact solid brass.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • My vote is don't use it. It my have other alloys in it other than brass.
    San Angelo, texas
  • TigerTony
    @NPHuskerFL The owner of the Ace hardware store where I bought both my BGE's is very hard to deal with when it come to the warranty on the egg.. He said that the grate is not covered and wants me to buy a new one. In fact he didn't even want to cover my plate-setter when that broke. He made me go dig up my receipts from both bge's I bought even though he new darn good and well that I purchased them at his store. He eventually replaced my plate-setter.
    New Orleans

• NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    Edited....

@TigerTony‌ how old is your egg? Should be warranty for 1st yr. But, if your dealer is an A$$ Clown as you describe.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/elementfacts/a/copper.htm
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited July 2014
    Short answer, Do not use it.  Brass contains basically copper and zinc. Sometimes it is alloyed with lead for easy machining.  It has a relatively low melting point of around 1650°F.  Zinc used in galvanizing and lead are both bad for you.  The melting point is likely of concern as you may find your new grate lying on the bottom of your Egg in a rather unique looking hardened puddle after a clean burn or pizza cook.  If the dealer will not replace look into a High Que or other stainless replacement.  It may be more expensive but should last forever.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Where's @nolaegghead when you need him?? :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Great time to upgrade to a high que! Is this a large egg?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • TigerTony
    @bettysnephew Thanks for the info! I believe you are correct. I'm not going to take any chances.
    High Que? I'll look into that, I'll search it now.
    New Orleans

• Thatgrimguy
    If you have a large or smaller. The high que grate is AWESOME. Much better airflow. More consistent low ans slows and higher highs!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • TigerTony
    @Thatgrimguy Yes it's for my large egg. I just read about the High Que stainless grate and I'm ordering one now.
    New Orleans

• bettysnephew
    BTW if you have an XL, HiQue does not make a grid for it.  I have heard of use of 2 Weber charcoal grates at 90° to each other.  At the price for 2 of them, I would discard if they go bad and buy 2 more.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL

Brass contains basically copper and zinc. Sometimes it is alloyed with lead for easy machining.  It has a relatively low melting point of around 1650°F.  Zinc used in galvanizing and lead are both bad for you.  The melting point is likely of concern as you may find your new grate lying on the bottom of your Egg in a rather unique looking hardened puddle after a clean burn or pizza cook.  Short answer, Do not use it.  If the dealer will not replace look into a High Que or other stainless replacement

Agree. Which is why I referenced the link.

Properties: Copper has a melting point of 1083.4 +/- 0.2°C

Not suited for this application.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bettysnephew
    NPHuskerFL  While working in the food processing industry I saw an article in one of my maintenance trade magazines that California had tested numerous samples of brass from different sources and it had high contents of lead in most.  Something like 20X Cali's accepted level if I recall correctly.  I am glad @Tony_Tiger has chosen to do something else for his and his family's sake.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    I had edited the earlier post but, it still posted the unrevised version.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL

NPHuskerFL  While working in the food processing industry I saw an article in one of my maintenance trade magazines that California had tested numerous samples of brass from different sources and it had high contents of lead in most.  Something like 20X Cali's accepted level if I recall correctly.  I am glad @Tony_Tiger has chosen to do something else for his and his family's sake.

Agreed. With this already. CI OR SS.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • TigerTony
    Thanks guys! Looks like the High Que stainless is teh way to geaux.
    I'm going to polish the brass drain grate and hang it on teh fence for decoration ;)
    New Orleans

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Just saw this, seems you have your answer. An 8" two screw brass Zurn grate will retail in our area for as much as $70. Sell it and buy two High-Ques. 
    The zinc component is typically not a good mix with high temps. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TigerTony
    @Skiddymarker < $70. you gotta be shitt'n me?!!!
    Never thought about selling it. I'm going to polish it up and list it on ebay or craigslist. What ever I get is better then nothing.
    New Orleans

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    BTW if you have an XL, HiQue does not make a grid for it.  I have heard of use of 2 Weber charcoal grates at 90° to each other.  At the price for 2 of them, I would discard if they go bad and buy 2 more.
    This is what I did........and we manufacturer and sold our own SS fire grates for years for the S, M, & L.  For the XL, the one or two Weber cooking grates was cheap and easy vs. the big piece of #9 expanded stainless steel.  I've never replaced mine--3 yrs going strong.
  • Thatgrimguy
    I find no need to change my XL. The Holes in the standard XL grate are so much larger than the other grates it doesn't clog. I just poke a few holes with my trusty wiggle rod and life is good!
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Beside the chemical reaction aspect, it appears that there may be restricted air flow compared to a high-queue or BGE grate.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If you get the Weber grates, buy the thicker steel charcoal grates, not the cooking grids which are not as robust.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bettysnephew
    I find no need to change my XL. The Holes in the standard XL grate are so much larger than the other grates it doesn't clog. I just poke a few holes with my trusty wiggle rod and life is good!
    stlcharcoal.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I believe they are just 3 inch drain covers. Ill check at the supplier on Monday.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cfwilen
    cfwilen Posts: 27
    Just had my fire grate replaced under warranty.  My dealer was also sort of difficult to deal with, so I went straight to the Mothership.  Within 24 hours, I had an email from them to myself and the dealer detailing the course of action to be taken.  Unfortunately, was also having the firering and firebox replaced so after getting the call that the replacement parts were in, I ran down there yesterday, broken pieces in hand, only to find that they had placed the correct orders for the firering and grate but plugged in the wrong size for the firebox.  Didn't even think to take the 3 pieces of the firebox back home so I could actually cook the steaks I had bought for my bday.  Doh!  I may have to break out the gasser tonight.  Not sure I remember how to light it.

I expect to have the firebox in a couple days.
    Portland, OR
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Before you invest in a High-Que (which I've used happily for a few years) suggest you check out the 
    Kick Ash Basket .  The company's big selling point is being able to lift it out after a cook and shake off the burned ash, and also clean out the bottom of the bowl much easier while the lump/basket are removed; it does those things very well.
    However, the REALLY cool feature is this basket is large enough to cover the six holes in the fire bowl, and mine haven't clogged since getting it.  I'm really happy with this thing!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• TigerTony
    @cfwilen Man that sucks! Hate to hear that you're gonna use the old gasser <( ha! spell check doesn't even recognize this as a word ;) .

@Botch Thanks but I already pulled the trigger on teh High Que.
    New Orleans

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    @tigertony in my opinion the bigger issue here is the fact that your dealer is so difficult to deal with you don't even want to go in and get something for FREE. The metal fire grate has a 5 year warranty. I feel you should let the mothership know of your issues with the dealer and how he has treated you. Also you are not required to file a warranty clam at the dealer you purchased from. I have had a pizza stone, fire grate and in the process of having a fire ring replaced. All from a different dealer than I bought from. The dealer I bought from did nothing wrong in my case I just use a dealer that is more convenient for me. Please let us know what you find out from the mothership.