Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SAMs vs Costco-- difference in quality/pricing of pork products?

Options
Specifically pork butts and ribs.
I am a member of each - but is one better? Wouldn't mind paying a little more if it was worth it.

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    It will end up being a personal preference. If I was you I'd buy some ribs from both, use the same rub and cook them together. This will help eliminate any variables and then do a taste test.

I am only a member of Costco now, I used to be both, but I couldn't justify both clubs because they were so similar. I remained with Costco because they're 10 minutes from my house.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they source from similar places. Overall, the shopping experience is better at Costco(better lit, wider aisles, cleaner, nicer employees). I don't actually shop at Sams but I go with my dad since he has membership at both.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Depends on the market and store manager. I have been to Costcos that blow my local Sams away and I have been to ones that are crap compared to my Sam's. I only have Sam's in my area now, so that's what I use.

Check both stores and see what looks cleaner. Which one gets shopped more (meat counter turns over faster that way) and which stocks cuts you want.  But as a whole, I think it depends more on the costco/sams in YOUR area.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    edited July 2014
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Sam's near me has butts more regularly than Costco.  I get ribs+brisket at Costco, butts at Sams.  quality of ribs seems to be better at Costco and they have prime brisket vs select at the Sam's near me.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Costco only has boneless butts
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I have both but end up going to Sams more because of location. I go to Sams for pork butt since they have bone in over Costco boneless
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I prefer boneless for butts. More surface area for rub.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I switch from Sams to Costco a couple years ago I thought the meat section was better. I prefer the boneless Butts as well.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokininCT
    SmokininCT Posts: 51
    Options
    check the labeling on the packages. the pork brands will vary and are sometimes even mixed my my local sams club. i try to grab any ibp buts or ribs if they have them, and stay away from the smithfield ones.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    That is really cool. I wish there was a costco near me. Closest is about 70 miles away
    Boom
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Like they say, more flavor with bone! ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Something not mentioned in that Huffington post article is how Costco was one of the first to not use plastic bags. I'm not a hippy by any means, but that's pretty impressive. They use plastic bags for meat, poultry, etc, but not plastic bags to bag your groceries.

Before cities banned plastic bags Costco did it on their own.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    WeberWho? said:

Like they say, more flavor with bone! ;)

Except science. Yeah, science!
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    I have both but end up going to Sams more because of location. I go to Sams for pork butt since they have bone in over Costco boneless
    I'm going with you on this one, everything is better bone in. Standing bone in Pork Roast is my favorite. I only have a Sams Club near me. If they build Costco near me I will join it, I heard they have really Great Vodka.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Kirkland signature(Costco) vodka is Grey Goose, bourbon is a Jim Beam brand(supposedly knob creek) and Scotch is Macallan 18.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Kirkland signature(Costco) vodka is Grey Goose, bourbon is a Jim Beam brand(supposedly knob creek) and Scotch is Macallan 18.

Oh crap my closest Costco is 60 miles away, I'm going thanks for the info (Grey Goose) I'm going ...

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I compared the Kirkland to Grey Goose and did not think they were the same. I love my Vodka on the rocks preferably with a couple olives  stuffed with blue cheese....My go to is Kettle one though.

Johns Creek, Georgia