Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your go to rub?

Options

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Swamp venom tears up my stomach. The only rub to ever do that. Did a ham and ribs. Both times, 3am... Well it was bad. Been scared ever since
    It must be the venom.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I love them all...equally   :-\"

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice kitchen you have there @Cazzy.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • cazzy
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

Nice kitchen you have there @Cazzy.

Yeah...honestly a big waste of money. I need to start giving it away. Use about 90% homebrew rubs now.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Head Country, Oak Ridge Secret Weapon, Willies Hog Dust
  • Sm62577
    Sm62577 Posts: 30
    Options
    Oakridge secret weapon, and Simply Marvelous sweet and hot..
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Just finished some Oakridge products and was quite impressed. Will be my new go to for a while!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Dizzy Pig Raging River - Spatchock Chick, Chops and ESPECIALLY Salmon (awesome!)

Montreal Steak Seasoning (best yet for steaks)

Penzy's Arizona Dreamin - just to mix it up on Chick and Chops..wife has to watch her salt and this is a great salt free rub.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Happy Holla is my rub of choice right now.  Butt Rub is a definite "go-to" that pleases everyone.  Mickey's Coffee has had a strong presence as of late.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • chupacabra
    chupacabra Posts: 77
    Options
    @cazzy...very nice collection!
    Marietta, Ga
    I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I use a rub from Dr. BBQs book on chicken or pork and on brisket I use salt and pepper.

No point in me having a spice rub collection like @cazzy‌ picture, I could never use all that while it was still good lol.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Denny and Mike's Sublime Swine
  • cazzy
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    I use a rub from Dr. BBQs book on chicken or pork and on brisket I use salt and pepper. No point in me having a spice rub collection like @cazzy‌ picture, I could never use all that while it was still good lol.
    I agree...but what can really happen to a rub after its expiration date? The spices won't be as potent. It's not something I'm overly concerned with I guess.
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    I wouldn't be concerned either the rub isn't the total taste of the food, just an enhancement IMO.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options

BYS1981 said:

I use a rub from Dr. BBQs book on chicken or pork and on brisket I use salt and pepper.

No point in me having a spice rub collection like @cazzy‌ picture, I could never use all that while it was still good lol.

I agree...but what can really happen to a rub after its expiration date? The spices won't be as potent. It's not something I'm overly concerned with I guess.
    YOU CAN FREAKING DIE.

Agree, you're not going to get sick etc, but I'm more of a buy and immediately use guy, lol. If they're is a zombie apocalypse, I'm coming to you for spices.
  • cazzy
    edited July 2014
    Options
    BYS1981 said:

BYS1981 said:

YOU CAN FREAKING DIE.

Agree, you're not going to get sick etc, but I'm more of a buy and immediately use guy, lol. If they're is a zombie apocalypse, I'm coming to you for spices.

Do zombies eat BBQ??

Well...this kind of looks like a beef rib smothered in Bone Suckin' Sauce. :D
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    This is my personal favorite combination for most everything I cook. I'm weird I guess .image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I like the Dizzy Pigs-all are good, but if I had to pick one probably Swamp Venom.

Big fan of the Oakridge BBQ stuff as well.

Byrons Butt Rub, bought once, used once, haven't thrown out yet.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Dizzy Dust

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I like the Amazing Ribs stuff as well.  My go to is very simple and is usually a variation of the BBQ Bible basic rub. http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/all-purpose-barbecue-rub/ I keep a few mason jars with different home made rubs handy. Hint...don't give it to the dog. Poor Vinny (my 60lb lab) had to sleep in the garage for a week one time after I gave him a heavily rubbed piece of meat. I'll spare you the details, but it was a bad scene.

Later,
    KS
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    Because of this thread I just went and bought some Dizzy Pig Raging River for the Spatchcocks I am doing tomorrow night. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Because of this thread I just went and bought some Dizzy Pig Raging River for the Spatchcocks I am doing tomorrow night. 
    Good call!  It's our go-to rub for Spatchcock Chick.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    I have two... Bad Byron's and, irony of ironies, Chupacabra. I get both at my dealer. TheChupacabra is made here in San Antonio

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Tastylick's Flyin' Swine is a personal favorite along with the entire Dizzy Pig line

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I have tried several brands that are mentioned here and my Favorite is DP Raging River on most things, spatched, wings, 2 inch thick bone in pork chops and my wife's favorite is on  Salmon. I EVOO all of the mentioned and RR the crap out of them. I just ordered 4 quarts (Dizzy Dust, Raging River, Cow Lick, Pineapple Head)  and 3 different 8 oz (Mediterranean-ish, Bayou-ish, Tsunami Spin) Today. I hope I can use it up while it's still fresh, I went through 4 quarts in the last 10 months. 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • thunderdome
    Options
    Mad Hunky General Purpose (+Brown Sugar for Pork)
    Mad Hunky Hot Wang Rub  (Chicken)
    Tatonka Dust (Beef)
    Dizzy Pig Raging River (Salmon)
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head on anything and everything.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited July 2014
    Options
    My "Go To" rub is whatever I choose to put in this!
    I haven't bought a pre-made rub in a long time.
    With a well stocked spice rack, no need to pay too much for someone else's concoction that may have MSG and most likely has too much salt.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Tsunami Spin for the win! Thanks, gents. I learned of it here.
    Kemah, TX
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Mickeys. Sometimes Bobby Flay's recipe on ribs.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius.