Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your EDC knife?

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
What knife do you EDC? What do you and don't you like about it? What EDC, if any, are you lusting after?

If you do not EDC a knife where do you buy your purse from?:-)
Boom

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2 - its light, sharp and well made with a good combination of size and balance. Highly recommend.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have a Wenger Swiss Army Knife that I keep on my keychain. Does everything I have any need for it to do.

Open mail
    Open bottles
    Clean a whole beef tenderloin
    Get splinters out
    Peel fruit
    sharpen pencils
    etc.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2 - its light, sharp and well made with a good combination of size and balance. Highly recommend.

That is an extremely popular knife. I want to own one eventually just because it seems like a knife everyone should own at least once. 
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    fusionhq said:
    XD45...;-)
    Those are terrible for opening the mail and slicing food. But they make a good subsitute when holding a hostage!
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I have a Wenger Swiss Army Knife that I keep on my keychain. Does everything I have any need for it to do.

Open mail
    Open bottles
    Get splinters out
    Peel fruit
    sharpen pencils
    etc.
    I get everything in your list but cleaning the beef tenderloin. You have done that with a swiss army knife? Isnt the blade like one inch?
    Boom
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    Mostly the two Spyderco Endura's at the Top. The SS Endura and Delica close to the bottom are my "dress up" knives. The orange Delica is what I take kayaking. The Zero Tolerance is built like a tank, but too heavy for edc. image

Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    What is EDC?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    What is EDC?
    every day carry
    Boom
  • frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    Kershaw Cryo II
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

Open mail
    Open bottles
    Get splinters out
    Peel fruit
    sharpen pencils
    etc.
    I get everything in your list but cleaning the beef tenderloin. You have done that with a swiss army knife? Isnt the blade like one inch?
    It's 2 inches. I was at ski patrol and one of my buddies brought up a whole tenderloin. We only had plastic kitchen knives in our duty station so I whipped that thing out and trimmed off the silverskin with that. It went surprisingly well, albeit a little messy with only the knife and 2 paper plates.

I would not do it a second time with more appropriate implements available.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

Open mail
    Open bottles
    Get splinters out
    Peel fruit
    sharpen pencils
    etc.
    It's 2 inches. I was at ski patrol and one of my buddies brought up a whole tenderloin. We only had plastic kitchen knives in our duty station so I whipped that thing out and trimmed off the silverskin with that. It went surprisingly well, albeit a little messy with only the knife and 2 paper plates.

I would not do it a second time with more appropriate implements available.
    Gotcha, makes sense. Which model do you have?
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    frankc623 said:
    Kershaw Cryo II
    That is a solid knife for the price. How long have you carried it?
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Mostly the two Spyderco Endura's at the Top. The SS Endura and Delica close to the bottom are my "dress up" knives. The orange Delica is what I take kayaking. The Zero Tolerance is built like a tank, but too heavy for edc. image

Nice collection you have there. You are a Sypderco fan for sure. 
    Boom
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Here are mine...

The top Benchmade is just about 80% of the time with the bottom one filling out the rest. The top one is almost 20yrs old and the bottom is prob about the 12-15yrs old.
    The Gerber is only for "special occasions" , I've had that for over 25yrs now.

All three are just as functional as new, just a little worn from healthy use...

imageimage
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    swisschamp during the week, some towns around me wont allow a bigger knife

weekend i have the swisschamp and  my damascus boker/ german silver with black buffalo horn

in the woods i carry my buck knife

i lost this one, i think it was at the bank, really liked the composite blade

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Cold Steele Folding Tanto.......the thing is a total work horse that can take anything you throw at it.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    @hapster is that top benchmade the 9100 auto stryker?
    Boom
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Just a 25 year old Buck with a locking 2.5 blade. Can't leave home without it. My favorite tool.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• hapster
    Options
    It's #765/100 of the first production run of the model... I think it is a 910STSB? It's not an auto version
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Just a 25 year old Buck with a locking 2.5 blade. Can't leave home without it.
    pictures? like to see how used knives look
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    hapster said:
    It's #765/100 of the first production run of the model... I think it is a 910STSB? It's not an auto version
    Gotcha. So it is manual or assisted version of that knife it looks like then. My buddy has the 9100 and loves it. 
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    @fishlessman that is a damn good looking buck knife! I am jealous
    Boom
  • hapster
    Options
    hapster said:
    Gotcha. So it is manual or assisted version of that knife it looks like then. My buddy has the 9100 and loves it. 
    It's manual... but I have a quick thumb ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options

its an early akonua, bought around 1980. emptied my wallet at the time and im still kicking myself for not getting the matching pocket sized hatchet.  Stike got a good closeup of the buck once
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    benchmade all day every day, with a surefire fury light and an XDs 45 with spare mag
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I used to carry the Buck 525 Gent. Got when I was 15 and carried for about 12 years. Got drunk while fishing one day, decided to jump in lake. Did not empty pockets. It is now at the bottom of lake murray. It looked like this. 

I spent a couple years lusting after a Chris Reeve Sebenza 21. After going about a year without an EDC, and much rationalizing why it is a good buy, I order one direct from CRK. Took a few months but it finally arrived. It has been my EDC since Feb. More I use and handle more I love. 
    imageimageimage
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    benchmade all day every day, with a surefire fury light and an XDs 45 with spare mag
    For light I currently carry a surefire but I think for Christmas I am going to buy myself a McGizmo Haiku. I have been looking at them for a long time now it seems
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

its an early akonua, bought around 1980. emptied my wallet at the time and im still kicking myself for not getting the matching pocket sized hatchet.  Stike got a good closeup of the buck once
    :))
    If you ever want to sell it I want to buy it!
    Boom