Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Auber Control

Options
sctdg
sctdg Posts: 301
I have an Auber Model SYL-1615 that I had been using on my Chargriller Acorn .I am trying to use it on my Egg . It has the 6.5 fan which I believe is correct for the Large Egg . My question is why would for no reason would the Auber start showing an increase in pit temp and dome thermo is dropping . Auber probe is clipped to grate over the platesetter so there isn't the influence directly from the fire .I had Auber set to 225 and at one point I looked at it and it was reading 243 and going up when dome was reading 210 and going down . Unfortunately my Maverick was not being used so I could not verify what was happening . I took probe off grate and checked wire thinking it was reacting how a bad maverick probe did when that went bad .Not the case .When I took out probe from pit it dropped temp just like it should and no fluctuations when moving wire at connection to probe . Values on Auber are set to default and a couple of them are the updated settings that Auber started using to eliminate going past set temp . Has anyone experienced this? I'm wondering if I would be better off just getting the Digiq DX2 . I have read that some people are having some issues with the Digiq but I do like the two probe thing and it might eliminate the need for running the maverick alongside the control .

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I have an Auber (although I have only used it maybe 6 times, I'm usually a manual dude) and so does my neighbor.  Neither of us has had that type of issue but we did have some issues cooking a whole pork shoulder, but in that case our guts were telling us the fire was hotter than we wanted but both the dome and Auber controller showed the temps dropping quickly.  It eventually worked out.

The 6.5 cfm fan is the one you need for a Large.  I'm at a loss for how the two probes would be going in opposite directions that drastically unless the dome temp probe was touching or very close to cool meat and affecting it's reading. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited July 2014
    Options
    If you decide to replace the Auber consider the Flame Boss. StLouis Charcoal can hook you up for a reasonable price.  If I recall the Auber uses type K probes with the standard industrial plugs (two flat prongs, one slightly larger than the other probably with a yellow body or stamped K)  That way you have a spare probe or two. If that is the correct probe you will probably never need it as the thermocouples are very rugged.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Thanks for the help . What is strange about that whole thing is that I had been running a test of the Auber since early in the morning and it seemed to be holding 225 +/- 5 degrees up until later in the day when I put some boneless country ribs in to get something to eat . It was then that the temp on the Auber started to climb and dome fell . Made no sense at all . Oh yeah I was careful about the open lid thing and waited for temp to recover before switching auber  back on .
    Thanks for the Flame Boss heads up .I read a little on that one and was thinking it might be something to consider . The Auber does use the K probe . Which does seem a lot beefier than the Maverick type probes .When it comes down to it I don't use a controller all that much but when it comes to a long cook like a brisket and such it is sure nice to have .
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    Typically most controllers have thermocouple break protection fail safe.  If the probe fails open, the controller will go to a maximum temperature reading or display an error message of some sort and shut the process output of the fan down so it does not over heat.  the exception to this would be a unit doing a cooling function which would be configured to take the opposite action unless it were a process that would cause imminent danger by getting too warm.  Not something that exists in Eggdom unless you have found a way to make ice cream in it.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

You will drive yourself crazy if you have a pit controller and keep looking at the dome temp. Or any kind of probe for that matter. They will never seem to match each other. Make sure your probe from your Auber is working correctly in boiling water, then just ignore the dome thermometer. Best advice I can give you.

As for the Auber, I've got one. Hate it. Quirky at best. Fan would always come on even when I was above my set temp aned the temp would keep going up.  Eventually, left to its own devices overnight, it would invariable be right at my set point in the morning, though. Never could figure that out, though, and it would drive me bat **** crazy. The lack of an open dome feature was definietly a weak point as well. It's sitting in a box somewhere. Collecting dust. Hate to throw it out, but hate it enough that I've never felt comfortable enough to pass it on to a fellow egghead.

Love my Flame Boss, though. Works like a champ. No ccomplaints at all with that one.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    See?  I TOLD y'all that Griff was bat **** crazy!  :D:D

Great comment about the dome vs controller temps, Jason! The two never seem to match but I still have to look out of curiosity sometimes. 

Have a great weekend.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Were you cooking a pork butt? Did the temp start to act up during the stall?  The dome probe may have been close to the meat and you may have actually been picking up the evaporative cooling process.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    =)) @NibbleMeThis yup, that's me. Mr. Batshit Crazy. I blame it on hormones leaking over from the Baby Mama. Not sure what my excuse was before that. :D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings