Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Doctor's Orders?

So I had my yearly physical the other day and the doctor told me the obvious...I need to shed some weight (a lot actually). She encouraged me to try a more vegetable based diet...like that is really going to happen. I didn't bother telling her I had a $1500 grill setup on my deck haha.

Comments

• I'm trying to lose some too...probably put on about 20 pounds since I got my Large a little over a year ago. It's easy to do. I'm eating way more fish, as well as grilled veggies.
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Its harder to grill carbohydrates, so go all vegetables and lean meats. The fat should drip off, so that will help too!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    I told here I could definitely cut the portions down but I can't cut it out. She went vegan a couple of weeks prior so I knew we were not going to totally agree.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Cut the carbs.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Try myfitnesspal to hold yourself accountable for how many calories you are eating daily. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Simple. Whether you do it by controlling portion size, going vegan (shudder), or whatever. Oh and without exercising regularly you are unlikely to lose weight. A dietitian once told me that you had to burn 3500cal to lose 1lb, but that sounds over-generalized.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Sorry, the point of my rant was that yes you can lose weight and still enjoy egging :)

• jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    I know I can...I lost 65lbs over about 6-9 months once just by cutting portion sizes dramatically and exercising. Getting my mind right is 75% of the battle. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • caliking
    You owe it to carnivores and bbq'ers everywhere - prove to your vegan doctor that if can be done! :)

Seriously though, good luck with your efforts. It's one of the best things you can do for your health and your family.

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited July 2014
    caliking said:
    Try myfitnesspal to hold yourself accountable for how many calories you are eating daily. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Simple. Whether you do it by controlling portion size, going vegan (shudder), or whatever. Oh and without exercising regularly you are unlikely to lose weight. A dietitian once told me that you had to burn 3500cal to lose 1lb, but that sounds over-generalized.

That's absolutely right - every 3,500 difference in calories (between calories "in" and calories "out") is one pound.

I used to track absolutely everything I ate - no matter how small - and keyed it into SparkPeople (similar to the other site mentioned above)..then track all exercise (a heart rate monitor is a good way to do that)..

It really does work..I lost 15+ pounds 3X already (can't seem to stay with it after I get to my target weight - must be cuz I have 2 Kamados and a smoker! :)..or, because I just get tired of tracking everything..).

When people used to ask "hey, how'd you do that?  What cool fad diet did you do?" I would always tell them it was the "basic math" diet - calories in - calories out..and 3,500 calorie delta for every pound you want to get rid of.  (BTW, your body needs 2,000+ calories per day - sites like Sparkpeople will tell you how much based on your current weight, height, age, physical activity level..then, create the gap from there - so, even if it's only 500 per day - say, you "can" eat 2,500 calories in a given day to maintain your weight - but only eat 2,000 worth..that's 500 difference per day.  Do that for 7 days in a week, and lose one pound per week.

Voila - the "simple math diet"..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • JHands
    JHands Posts: 78
    I eat bacon every day. Steaks multiple times a week. Real butter, cheese, heavy cream in my coffee. I am cut and in great shape with a beach body. Your doctor is an idiot. Keep the meat levels up, and eat veggies. No potatoes or corn. No pastas, grains, bread. Weight will fall off without any added exercise. Adding exercise increases calorie deficit which yields faster results. You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight, just pay more attention to what you eat.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I started a half assed Paleo thing a couple weeks ago. Mostly passing on starches, ie pastas and potatoes, and avoiding breads/buns. , and dairy. Iam really enjoying the Almond Milk. I am a sweets guy so it has been tough, but making the compromise to avoid pastries and baked good smade with flour seems to be ok for me. I still eat my chocolate. Seems I can give up cakes and cookies but not chocolate. Just less of it. I snack on almonds and other kinds of nuts. dinners are proteins and extra veggies. I have dropped 13 lbs in 2 weeks.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    hondabbq said:
    I started a half assed Paleo thing a couple weeks ago. Mostly passing on starches, ie pastas and potatoes, and avoiding breads/buns. , and dairy. Iam really enjoying the Almond Milk. I am a sweets guy so it has been tough, but making the compromise to avoid pastries and baked good smade with flour seems to be ok for me. I still eat my chocolate. Seems I can give up cakes and cookies but not chocolate. Just less of it. I snack on almonds and other kinds of nuts. dinners are proteins and extra veggies. I have dropped 13 lbs in 2 weeks.
    I have been living the paleo/primal lifestyle now for a little over a year.  I'm not quite a hard core as I was when I first started, but still pass on the breads and pasta.  I went from 180 to 156 in about 6 months.  Went to the gym 3-4 days a week.  Never felt or looked better in my entire life.  I have since cut back on my gym time and am still holding off the weight.  Biggest thing is as mentioned above is to pass on as much carbs as possible.  They turn into sugar if not burned and will stay stored as fat.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2014
    hondabbq said:
    I have been living the paleo/primal lifestyle now for a little over a year.  I'm not quite a hard core as I was when I first started, but still pass on the breads and pasta.  I went from 180 to 156 in about 6 months.  Went to the gym 3-4 days a week.  Never felt or looked better in my entire life.  I have since cut back on my gym time and am still holding off the weight.  Biggest thing is as mentioned above is to pass on as much carbs as possible.  They turn into sugar if not burned and will stay stored as fat.

There was a post about it and I did some looking into it. It may have been your post that inspired me to do it.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    JHands said:

I eat bacon every day. Steaks multiple times a week. Real butter, cheese, heavy cream in my coffee. I am cut and in great shape with a beach body. Your doctor is an idiot. Keep the meat levels up, and eat veggies. No potatoes or corn. No pastas, grains, bread. Weight will fall off without any added exercise. Adding exercise increases calorie deficit which yields faster results. You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight, just pay more attention to what you eat.

Cool ancedotal story, bro.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776

People are skating around the answer here - EXERCISE!!!  Increase the calories burned, and decrease by portion control the calories in.  I was very concerned about the BGE's affect on my weight, as I am definitely a carnivore.  Back in the ancient past when I was a marathon runner, I needed 5000 calories a day to maintain.  Walking a few miles a day through the hills (my dog Wiley takes me) is all that is required for maintenance now.  Losing the weight takes some commitment.  I shed 20+ pounds last year, and have managed to keep it off.  It has done wonders for my BP and A1C.  We do eat fish (loves me some salmon and seared ahi), but beef and pork are firmly entrenched in the diet as well.  Fad diets are just that.  Dieticians who make them up are generally quacks.  Back in the day, the Scarsdale diet was probably the most effective I've seen.  It had a real basis (high protein, low carb, reduce fats, etc).  It was developed by Dr. Tarnower, but it didn't do him any good.  He was shot by his jealous girl friend.  As Kurt Vonnegut would say - so it goes...

Santa Paula, CA
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Exercise is certainly good for your health, but it's not exactly a panacea for weight loss.  It's something that you absolutely should do, but when it comes to losing weight you always have to remember that it's extremely difficult to outrun your fork.  If you go for an hour walk you will burn off ~500 calories in the process, which may be a generous estimate.  Then you eat a small Blizzard from DQ, which probably runs at around 600 calories.  An hour's worth of exercise = 5 minutes worth of eating.  Doing large amounts of exercise also has the annoying tendency to increase your appetite.  I do completely agree with the suggests to go with lots of protein and vegetables with minimal carbs.  Carbs aren't inherently evil, it's just easier to overeat them.

Exercise should definitely be a part of the equation.  It makes you happy because you feel like you're taking charge of the process and it will have health benefits above and beyond weight loss.  Just be mindful that watching what you eat is 80% of the process and activity is the other 20%.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    JHands said:
    Well, you do know what you call the person who graduates last in his/her medical school class?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    If you're looking for information about weight loss that's not one of the standard fad diets, I highly recommend this book:

It's a non-diet diet book and has information about a lot of the other common diet plans that you see out there.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I lost 55 lbs since having my egg. I eat better. I eat out waaaay less and I really pay attention to what I'm eating since I'm the one that's cooking.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I am also in shape and have a beach body.  Round is a shape, and works fine on the beach. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I just had my physical this morning and I still need to lose some more weight, but i have lost 120 lbs in the last year and a half. The doctor says keep doing what I am doing what I am doing and after my hip surgery I should be able to walk more to help burn calories. I am on Medifast or Take Shape For Life. It is a meal replacement where I eat 5 of there balanced meals and get one lean and green a day. Its very low carb and about 1200 to 1300 calories a day. I still get to use my egg and i have been eating ribs and pork butt, but now I am going to back off on the fatter cuts for a while before my surgery. I was showing my doctor a picture of my son and me and he noticed the BGE in the photo and asked about it. He says he wants one, but lives in an apartment. Good luck on the weight loss.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Just because the egg can grill a 2" thick 1lb steak doesn't mean you should eat it all by your lonesome.

The egg can grill veggies and lean protein just the same as red meat.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    BYS1981 said:
    Just because the egg can grill a 2" thick 1lb steak doesn't mean you should eat it all by your lonesome. The egg can grill veggies and lean protein just the same as red meat.

That would feed me, my wife and kid. I try not to eat a 1 pound steak if I can help it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Anhhh what the hell do doctors know
    Greensboro, NC
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited July 2014
    Seems they know a LOT when they are cleaning out your arteries and placing stents or bypasses in your heart or peripheral arteries...it's not about how you look, it's about how you live. Exercise benefits your arteries on a cellular level. Those that boast that they eat a load of saturated fats and still look  "fit" are fooling themselves. I see just as many "fit and cut" ppl on the cath and bypass table as I do the overweight ones.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA