Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump coal...

Options
So I know there are about eight million different types of lump coal...I have always used BGE but tonight I bought a different type.  I'm not sure if I wanna try it or if I should just continue with BGE.  Looking for a little feed back if y'all could help I would really appreciate it! 

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Depends on what type you bought. If it's Cowboy, stick with BGE. If anything else, let us know and there will be many opinions.
    bearBGE Posts: 129
    Options
    It was Cowboy...Just bought it out of the blue because I feared that I was about out and I wouldn't have been able to grill...
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited July 2014
    Options
    If you can find Ozark Oak its the best lump i personally have ever used

I wish i could get it here. Im paying almost 30 bucks a bag for BGE lump. Im going to start trying others when my bag of BGE and bag of Ozark Oak i picked up when i was in Mo is gone
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    If it's all you have try the Cowboy and see what you think. Personally, I'm not a fan -lots of sparking, lots of ash, fast burn. Check out the Naked Whiz site for reviews of all the lump out there.
    Options
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    A thousand lumps, a thousand opinions....my last bag of BGE was sub-standard, but its been excellent before. Royal Oak is considered premium around my campfire and now I also have 225# of coconut lump in stock. Best of the West has proven to be my least favorite.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • bearBGE
    Options
    I have a comfort factor when it comes to BGE and I know it will give me a great cook every time...Been eggin for three years now and have yet to be disappointed!  
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited July 2014
    Options

BGE lump doesn't see much love here.  There are better, but the real problem is the price.  The rumor is that Royal Oak is the same as BGE lump.  I would need to be convinced - they are similar, but it is totally possible for a manufacturer to have multiple lines.  The Naked Whiz has a great lump database: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm  .  By the way, if BGE gets panned, Cowboy gets stoned.  For a readily available lump, Royal Oak isn't bad.  It can be found at Home Depot and Wal*Mart, and is very reasonably priced. 

You will find the top contenders here are Rockwood, Ozark Oak, and Fogo.  Here in the BBQ wasteland of the Peoples Republic of Califomia, we can't get Rockwood or OO.  Fogo is sold on Amazon, and with a prime membership, shipping is free.  I highly recommend it.  The price varies a lot.  I last bought it at $28 for a 35lb bag.  Now it's $41.  The price of 8KG bags (17 lbs) is fairly steady at $20.  It's worth that price.  I just bought 2 8KG bags because I got down to 2 35 lb. bags.  This will be my first purchase of the smaller bags.   Anyhow, this is always a hot topic here, and if you live somewhere that top tier lump is readily available, life is good.

If you need emergency lump, get Royal Oak - it is actually very good. 

Good luck - enjoy!!

Santa Paula, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Choice of lump riles more folks up on here than politics and religion combined!

Try what is readily available around you and see what you like. Where are you located? BGE lump is probably the most expensive of the commonly available lump brands. Around here, Royal Oak is available at Home Depot, B&B at Academy, Stubbs at Costco. HEB (grocery store chain ) brand lump is pretty good, as is Kroger brand lump. OO is available about an hour away, or if I buy @henapple some bacon lingerie. My favorite so far has been Rockwood, which I stocked up on from group buys. I have a few bags of Fogo also from the last time it went on sale on Amazon.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    tksmoke said:

BGE lump doesn't see much love here.  There are better, but the real problem is the price.  The rumor is that Royal Oak is the same as BGE lump.  I would need to be convinced - they are similar, but it is totally possible for a manufacturer to have multiple lines.  The Naked Whiz has a great lump database: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm  .  By the way, if BGE gets panned, Cowboy gets stoned.  For a readily available lump, Royal Oak isn't bad.  It can be found at Home Depot and Wal*Mart, and is very reasonably priced. 

You will find the top contenders here are Rockwood, Ozark Oak, and Fogo.  Since here in the BBQ wasteland of the Peoples Republic of Califomia, we can't get Rockwood or OO.  Fogo is sold on Amazon, and with a prime membership, shipping is free.  I highly recommend it.  The price varies a lot.  I last bought it at $28 for a 35lb bag.  Now it's $41.  The price of 8KG bags (17 lbs) is fairly steady at $20.  It's worth that price.  I just bought 2 8KG bags because I got down to 2 35 lb. bags.  This will be my first purchase of the smaller bags.   Anyhow, this is always a hot topic here, and if you live somewhere that top tier lump is readily available, life is good.

If you need emergency lump, get Royal Oak - it is actually very good. 

Good luck - enjoy!!

Great advice. In my part of California propane is king. Those of us enjoying the wood-fired arts and sciences are limited to fewer choices. Best of the West seems to rear its ugly head frequently in many establishments that carry lump here. Its a last resort lump IMO, and I agree wholeheartedly with you on Royal Oak.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    I agree Cowboy pops and leaves a lot of ash, but I have used it. Our local BGE dealer just started carrying Rockwood and I've become a fan! Clean burning and great for long cooks but I'm still learning... Good luck!
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • bearBGE
    Options
    Didn't mean to start WW3 here honestly...I'm from Minnesota and not too many places to get lump coal but it sounds like I should switch to Royal Oak for same quality as BGE is pretty much what I'm gathering until I have an opportunity to browse.
  • caliking
    Options
    bearBGE said:

Didn't mean to start WW3 here honestly...

Too late! :D

• bearBGE
    Options
    Yeah so I've noticed
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

GFS has 20 # bags of lump for 13.99 and if you buy 5 or more they are 11.99 and if you sign up for there email they send you a 10% off coupon in every weeks flyer that put's it at 10.80 a bag and I believe it is also made by RO. It work well for me.

Chuck King

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Lump whore here, will try anything. Maple Leaf is excellent, Canucks rave about it the way our US cousins rave about Rockwood or Ozark Oak. 
    I say be promiscuous. Do it all. Like any recipe, if you are having folks for dinner, stick with what you know works. Don't be afraid to try something different, specially if it is on sale. 

Royal Oak is a good reliable product, not really great but not bad either. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    Options
    @Grillmagic‌ - that's a good deal.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Check the review dates on the whiz. Some are several years old and things/quality change. Royal Oak comes under several different names. Check their website.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I ruined $40 worth of steaks because I didn't wait a hour for the smoke to clear. It will work under the right lighting technique and situation but I avoid Cowboy and Frontier Brand. I bought some Ozark Oak and Rockwood from Firecraft.com for a sure thing.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    bearBGE said:
    Didn't mean to start WW3 here honestly...I'm from Minnesota and not too many places to get lump coal but it sounds like I should switch to Royal Oak for same quality as BGE is pretty much what I'm gathering until I have an opportunity to browse.

There are many great Eggheads in the MN Area. If you add your location to your signature line you will get better help from locals. Even your post title. "Need help finding lump in Southern MN" would be a great start. Also try the greeneggers.com site.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options

I work a company that sells BGE's. I have ordered and used BGE, Kamado Joe's, Wicked Good. Also have tried Royal Oak and a few others. Based on my customer's and my experiences here is my two cents.

BGE is good quality, but pricey. Nice mix of big and med chunks.

Kamado Joe's is reasonable, you get 22lb, and very good quality. Good mix of big and med chunks.

Wicked Good is reasonable, and have people like it. Good mix. Some say it is difficult to light??

Royal Oak, cheaper buy, but lots of ash and burns up quickly. Smaller chunks and dust.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I will not buy BGE lump. I got a bag free with my egg and its OK but there are better options for less money. Ozark Oak is what I'm burning now and Rockwood, bot are superior IMHO.
    Jacksonville FL
  • bearBGE
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice I love this site!!!

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    You might as well ask which religion is the right one.   :)

I just got my first bag of Rockwood recently and been really impressed by it.  I'll probably drop an order for a stack of it from Firecraft once I use up what I have on hand.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    I need to chime in on this subject.  I finally finished a bag of Frontier.  It SUCKED!!!!! I bought it at Lowes.  I'm going to look at Home Depot and hope theirs is better.  Mark
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I've found most lumps worth buying are made by Royal Oak, including BGE.  Pick up a bag of USA royal Oak at your local Wal Mart, you won't regret it.  good lump, good price, after all... it's lump charcoal, you're gonna burn it.  I did try Cowboy, was not thrilled.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    I like using Fogo and Wicked Good weekend warrior the best, but I keep a few bags of Royal Oak around for simple cooks like burgers and dogs.

I haven't used either ozark Oak or Rockwood, but I'm thinking of putting in an order for some from firecraft.com.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Just gave away 9 bags of 8.8lb cowboy today. Listed it free on CL stay away.
    Seattle, WA
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

Just gave away 9 bags of 8.8lb cowboy today. Listed it free on CL stay away.

Good move! Gotta make sure there is enough room to store all the quality lump.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    It was $1 a bag so no big loss but man the stuff took forever to burn clean.
    Seattle, WA