Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's cook

Options

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I've got a compressor tank. Im gonna check
    Out sgh's rigs to see what i wanna do with it.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌
    Thank you brother

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Wow that's a beast!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    Looks awesome!!!
  • SGH
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌
    It's massive to say the least. I can easily load over 500 pounds of brisket with room to spare.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Dyal_SC‌
    Thanks my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    For every day use reverse flow is the way to go. A tunable pit can be a pain. They certainly have there place but reverse flow is the way to go for a pit that's not dedicated to comp cooking. That's not sentiment at all.

Status- Standing by.

• Jeremiah
    Options

I've got a compressor tank. Im gonna check
    Out sgh's rigs to see what i wanna do with it.

How big?
  • SGH
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌
    If you are building it for home use anything from 80 gallon up to 150 gallon works excellent in my opinion. Once you go larger than 150 gallon they cease to be practical for every day use. Just my thoughts.

Status- Standing by.

• Jeremiah
    Options
    @SGH‌ yeah I had my heart set on a 250 lp tank (and thought that was what I was buying) but every morning I fire up our 80 gal compressors and stand there imagining my cooker. (That and I'm usually somewhat hungover and don't feel like working yet)
  • SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    I'm stuffing that pork shoulder for you in the morning. Hope it turns out.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌
    If you go with a 150 it's plenty big for comps. You can cook all categories in one run if the need arises. On the other hand it's still practical for home use as well. The big 250's and larger are specialized cookers. They are great for their intended purposes though.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @SGH‌ dude that's a nice set-up.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Is that the first time you saw it? I have been posting it for months. Thanks for the compliment my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ I had my old (nothin special about it) offset for .probably 12 to 15 years. It was a 80 or 100 gallon and for just a few people it just wasn't practical anymore so, I gave it to a friend.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ nope. Saw it on other posts.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    The Big Unit.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Never part with a smoker my friend. ;)

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    WOW!!!!! Well that's the first time I've seen pictures of the full unit and it is a beautiful thing!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ it's definitely a smokey meaty mammoth. (pun intended). ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Thank you brother. She cooks like a dream. I have really enjoyed it. Again thank you.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    If I'm diligent in my loading I can load over 750 pounds of meat in one cook without stalling it. I can throw 500 pounds in it at will with no concern as to placement at all. It's been well worth the price to me. Saves a lot of headache when cooking for a crowd.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ exactly my reason for parting w/ mine.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I think my tank is about 100lbs.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Mine is definitely overkill for most meals. But it's a blessing for the primals and large subprimals. It's in this arena that it really shines.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    That's the perfect size for a home unit.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @SGH‌ I use to invite all my friends from work back when I worked on the base at NAS Jax and we'd get a couple of kegs and make a serious weekend of it. Now that I'm out of the USN and I don't entertain like that a big rig is impractical. So, I'm good w/ my LBGE. And as of now I'm on the list at my dealer for the Max as my 2nd egg.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Bought some wahoo and cobia to throw on egg tmrw. Have never eaten either.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I'm getting a mini/max as well. It should look real cute setting by the big unit!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    It is excellent. You will enjoy it my friend.

Status- Standing by.