Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza setup

Dublin Dawg
Dublin Dawg Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best setup to bake a pizza in my BGE? I have a pizza stone - Do I sit it on a place setter, or on the top grill?
Thanks

Comments

• Dublin Dawg,[p]Crank up that lump to about 700º put the plate setter and pizza stone on and preheat them for 5 minutes then open the lid real fast dust the top with cornmeal and slide the pizza on for about 4 to 7 minutes. Keep an eye on it through the top vent if you can bear the heat!
    Don't forget the cornmeal, they tend to stick without it and a good preheat.

• David Thomas,
    Should the pizza stone rest direct on the place setter, or should I but maybe the BGE feet underneath to let the air circulate underneath?

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I use a pizza stone on top of a platesetter )it is just about level with the bottom lip of the EGG then) and use a temperature of 500. It takes about 15 minutes for a pizza to cook at this temperature. Instead of corn meal I use a sheet of non-stick aluminum foil under the pizza. Makes it very easy to slide the pizza on and off.
  • Dublin Dawg,
    You want it right on top of the plate setter, when installed properly, it should be at the perfect height to slid the peel right into the egg to get the pizza off. The direct contact makes it a heat sink, like a brick oven. They are great at breads too!

• David Thomas,
    Thanks for the help!

• Dublin Dawg,
    Anytime, nice to meet you! Merry Christmas! Happy Egging.

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    I'm with you, I don't care for all that cornmeal on my pizzas. I use a pizza screen. I make my pizza right on the screen and then I put the screen on the stone. They come out just as brown and crisp as when I used the cornmeal and no screen.
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Dublin Dawg,
    Yum. Pizza! You may receive many opinions on this--time and temp have varied widely in the threads I've read.[p]I don't like to stand over too hot a fire, so I do mine at about 500. Get a very clean fire burning there, because the crust (dough) will soak up any dirty charcoal taste that's still around. [p]Plate setter goes in legs down. Pizza stone right on top. I give them both at least 15 minutes to come up to temp. Cornmeal is important and a hot pizza stone is important; both to prevent sticking.[p]I cook my pizzas for about 15 minutes at that temp. If I cook more than one, I wipe the pizza stone down with a cool wet rag (tip from TNW, I believe). Sitting directly above the coals, the plate setter gets very hot and sends that heat right through the pizza stone. I was having trouble with a burned crust on all but my first pizza until the wet rag trick.[p]Good luck![p]J

• Dublin Dawg,
    Here is a link to my pizza hints and tips page. A couple of quick points, preheat the plate setter and stone thoroughly. A hot stone is part of the process, and it can help prevent broken a stone. Also, the temperature you should use will vary depending on the type of dough/crust you are using. You may have to experiment and eat your failures, lol! Good luck![p]TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Dublin Dawg, Dont have a place setter so I use 3 half fire-bricks set up in a "Y" formation and set the stone on top of it. Preheat stone as fire builds until Dome temp about 500-515. [p]Note - Speaking from experience (i.e., complaints) if you've recently used wood chips/lumps, other than Oak, you may want to cleanout the firebox and start fresh -- No one seemed to like an Alder flavored pizza - go figure!

• Check the bottom of the pizza after 2 minutes. I have to put it on a pan ( I also put a tile under the pan)after 2 minutes at 500 baking right on the setter. I use Japanese bread crumbs (Panko) and press them into the bottom of the crust. This insures a crispy crust and slides right off the peel.
    When you take it off, put it on something where it can let steam off the bottom, or the crust will get soggy.
    Best pizzas ever. When I do a pan pizza I put some hot coals right up next to the pan and turn it every couple of minutes.
  • RoadKill,
    I typically use hickory to smoke my pizzas and so far the wife hasn't objected....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Dublin Dawg,[p]OK, I know this isn't keeping in line with what the others have said,but, I have found that having an airspace between the pizza stone and the pizza keeps from burning the crust. I find that 500 is about the right temp, it really depends on your setup and what works for you. have fun, enjoy, and if the first pizza doesn't turn out make adjustments, your third pizza will be about as good as it gets. your 10th pizza youl burn cuz your too confident but the 11th will be better than the 3rd.[p]Scott

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    2004_0214_012424.jpg
    <p />Dublin Dawg,
    pizza stone with a barrier underneath such as fire bricks or a platesetter works well. also dont rule out pan pizzas, i like them as a change of pace. thin pizza, thick pizza, deep dish pizza, i like them all. heres a deep dish sausage and stewed tomato pizza and a garlic cheese and oil pizza.
    54177f30.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    623f6422.jpg
    <p />Dublin Dawg,[p]I make pizzas with a thin crust and only two or three toppings maximum. I like the pizza screens. I can build several pizzas ahead of time, don't need a peel and they lessen the chance of bottom burning. Not sure how they will work on thicker crust ones.[p]41cf240a.jpg[p]For a shortcut, I make them using flour tortillas. Everyone can build 'em the way they want. (My favorite is cheese, garlic & spinach) About a 5 minute cook.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery