Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

carcinogens

Options
Any thoughts out there on these and black charcoal......

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2014
    Options
    the air we breathe....
    the food we eat...

so in the end everything has risks but i dont think that is one to worry about.
    Seattle, WA
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    Water we drink...

LBGE

BTFU!

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I am choosing to ignore any negative press. I suspect it is not as good as broiled in an electric oven but hey it's probably still better than a happy meal!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    I once heard a doctor on the radio talking about bbq and carcinogens.  He said something like "if you do everything to live a healthy life, eat all the proper foods, keep alcohol to a minimum and only eat in moderation, on average you'll live 6 months longer.  And you know what, on average, those 6 months will be in a nursing home."
    Don't know if he was correct but it's something to consider.
    I have a t-shirt for the Art of Barbeque in St. Augustine.  It says "Eat what you want. Die like a man."
    Words to live by

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options

Its only hazardous in California.

Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Cooking on a stable lump fire is good to go, even with a touch of smoke wood, if I understand what I've read. 
    The real issue is with high temps and directly burning food high in protein - meats. It is the drippings catching on fire and coating the food that is harmful. Low and slows and reverse sears minimize this, but I'd think twice if you are planning on going caveman three times a day. 

Moderation. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I got 99 problems, carcinoginz ain't one. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Waking up in the morning causes death.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Actually, @NPHuskerFL‌, I would have to disagree and say failure to wake up in the morning would cause death.

And unless one is actually breathing the nice dirty white wood smoke you get when u first add your wood chunks for 20 minutes, and doing so for a couple hours a day, the "carcinogens' aren't going to do anything.

For something to be toxic, you have to reach toxic levels of it in the body.

Warfarin, the blood thinner that tons of folks are on for treatment of various medical conditions is called warfarin because it was initially used on warfs as rat poison. So is it good or bad for you?

By this logic, small doses of any of these "carcinogens" must be good for you. Therefore I need to egg more often!!!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @xiphoid007‌ You know what I was saying man. ;-)
    The minute we're born we begin to die. We all have a shelf life. I'm saying enjoy life. Don't be afraid of every little thing. I put on sun screen etc because I don't want to increase my risk factor. I quit smoking yrs ago for the same reason. I'm a Cancer Survivor and I say egg on.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    My grandparents ate bacon, sausage, fried everything, smoked like coal-fired power plants.... And lived longer than anyone in their area....

I like the "Eat what you want" statement. I've gotta get one of those shirts!

And if you ask California, EVERYTHING causes cancer from coffee cups to tennis shoes.... Overkill if you ask me. That's why good lump is hard to come by out there on the left coast.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    In his book On Food and Science, Harold Weems writes about the carcinogenic compounds from grilling such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are mostly caused by burning meat when grilling.  Things like marinating the meat and proper grilling techniques greatly reduced that risk.  Or something like that, from what I remember.

And we Eggheads never burn anything.....right? ;)

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This