Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GROSS!

Options
GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
I have lived in Florida for over 50 years, been grilling for over 40 years and I have never seen anything like it when I lifted the cover on my poor neglected egg. It's been a while since I have egged and I expected to see some mold with all the rain we have had but not only was there black mold on the outside but white mold on the inside. The critters that took up residence just grossed me out. Roaches inside my gloves and lighter cubes. Millions of ants nesting in my wood chips. MDSH went and bought me new wood, starters and gloves. I Clorox the outside and lit the egg turbo with everything else inside the egg like the plate setter, grate, daisy wheel and bricks. Then I cleaned the patio with Clorox also, jumped in the pool and took a shower. Does anyone else have nasty critters taking up residence in their egg or table and if so what do you do about it? Gross! Need to egg more. ;;)
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    How long had it been since you last used your Egg?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I'm in Florida and when it's covered and I go for a while without using it I often find critters and maybe some light mold or rust on steel/cast iron, but nothing near like what you're saying. I have been keeping my wood in water/bug proof containers.
    Dunedin, FL
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Last summer I was in an accident and had to have surgery to repair the damage. I was laid up for 6 weeks and couldn't egg. 

When I got better and took the cover off of my large egg and table I had roaches all underneath the cover, on the egg, and the table.  

I told my wife I was throwing it all away and starting over. I did throw the cover away and gave everything a good cleaning. Thankfully I kept the egg sealed tight so nothing could get inside. 

I even sanded and stained the table. Now I am coverless, but that is fine by me. I can't stand a roach. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options

When I kept my Egg+table under cover - same thing, roaches. All it takes is just a few bits of food to make them happy. Getting the thing under shelter and removing the cover was the only way to keep it all clean...of course, if you Egg every (other) day, then you may be good to go too.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice to see you post again, been some time. Holy smoke, sound like you had quite the cleaning experience. Taking the egg nuclear probably looked after both the inside and outside - the real solution is to cook more, you already know that. 

Interesting your use of Clorox, great to help sanitize, but it does not kill mold all that well. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    @YEMTrey‌ I can't remember when I used it last but it's been awhile. Maybe during football season. @johnkitchens‌ I'm glad you have recovered from your accident. Roaches are nasty and gross. Good idea on pitching the cover. @yzzi for now I will store everything inside and look into new containers. ;;)
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I hated to toss the cover. I loved it and paid a lot for it, but after seeing all of those roaches on the underside there was no going back for me! 

Thank you for the accident comments. I am almost as good as new now! 

• GrannyX4
    Options
    MDSH isn't going to like the idea of pitching the cover but I think it will disappear. Tomorrow is trash day. I have been asking for a covered outdoor kitchen and I find resistance to the idea. ;;)
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I would toss it as well. I just figured out what MDSH meant. My Dear Sweet Husband! 

I am going to order my wife to start calling me that! 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I hate to tell you folks who threw away things but you should  go out of your home in the dark of night with a flashlight and look at your siding, walks, patio furniture etc and I bet you will see more roaches than you care to! We have lived nestled in the woods for 34 years now and while we are clean people etc you have to realize roaches inhabit the outdoors - it's when they get inside you can go bananas, but outside they are everywhere!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @RRP I know you are right. I went outside the other night around midnight and OMG they were just as you described. 

I have a pest control company spray often, and I use Bengal inside my house and in my garages. I can't stand roaches and that stuff works great. 

I know I can't really do anything about the outside, but I can't have them inside! 

I had to throw the cover away. I couldn't stand the thought of putting that dirty thing back on my clean table and egg. 

• GrannyX4
    Options
    @RRP. I agree with you that roaches are everywhere but under the egg cover is a haven for them. I'm just trying to eliminate a warm fuzzy place.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    No roaches here in the GWT......
    GWN
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    @Skiddymarker‌ Yep, it's has been some time but life has a habit of getting in the way. We'll slap my head! After all these years of using Clorox who knew - not me. What do I use to keep mold at bay?
  • GrannyX4
    Options

When I kept my Egg+table under cover - same thing, roaches. All it takes is just a few bits of food to make them happy. Getting the thing under shelter and removing the cover was the only way to keep it all clean...of course, if you Egg every (other) day, then you may be good to go too.

Great argument for the outdoor kitchen! Love it ;;)
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Nanook said:
    No roaches here in the GWT......

But you have to shovel it! ;;)
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I would toss it as well. I just figured out what MDSH meant. My Dear Sweet Husband! 

I am going to order my wife to start calling me that! 

That would be OK but then you need to refer to her as MDSW instead of SWMBO. It just sounds better.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
    Damn, where u folks live. We don't have that many roaches. What we do have, we just tossem on the grill and cookem.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    @Skiddymarker‌ Yep, it's has been some time but life has a habit of getting in the way. We'll slap my head! After all these years of using Clorox who knew - not me. What do I use to keep mold at bay?
    Concrobium like this works - a little goes a long way. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm in FL. You've seen my table. I use the cover and for the most part it keeps it dry. I would think just building a fire and letting I roll for several hours before cooking and you should be fine. But, the real question is how long has it been vacant of egging? And I agree and so does your egg (egg more). ;;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Florida is not really meant for human occupation.

I've had a few wasp nests on my old Weber, a few nondescript spiders and one black widow; but I haven't had a single critter touch my Eggs yet.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrannyX4
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    Concrobium like this works - a little goes a long way. 

Thanks Skiddymarker . It is now on my list along with a big umbrella to protect the egg.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Bleach definitely works on mold! I'm not saying it's the best thing for the environment,, but back when I was in the Army, we used it on our shower curtains every time prior to inspection. Worked like a charm.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    It is also used in commercial food plants to kill mold on kettle and tank door gaskets.  That may be due to the fact there is no harmful residue after rinsing though.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Botch said:

I've had a few wasp nests on my old Weber, a few nondescript spiders and one black widow; but I haven't had a single critter touch my Eggs yet.  

No critter has touched our weber. The difference is the cover. Sorry Botch but I like Florida. Yes I would like it a little cooler but we never shovel and I don't need to wear much more than flip flops, shorts and a tee shirt most so the year. Love, love, love the ocean. ;;)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Botch said:

@Botch‌ I love living in FL. I have a great "occupation" here in FL.
    And I'm pretty sure most of the folks in the North around October-March would say FL is a perfect place to take up "occupancy".

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited July 2014
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    Botch said:

No critter has touched our weber. The difference is the cover. Sorry Botch but I like Florida. Yes I would like it a little cooler but we never shovel and I don't need to wear much more than flip flops, shorts and a tee shirt most so the year. Love, love, love the ocean. ;;)

Just teasing!  I'm not a fan of humidity, or bugs; just glad I discovered the Rockies (and I LOVE to ski!)  (the downhill kind!)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrannyX4
    Options
    I love the Rockies. Majestic views can't be beat. ;;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    move north, ive only seen 1 roach in all my 50 years up here in newengland and it was in a takout chinese restaurant that i never went back to again
    :))  would rather have a blizzard than roaches
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it