Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging Lasagna Tonight

I have always made my lasagna in the oven but the thermostat in the oven has been acting up so I've decided that I should throw it on the Egg tonight.  I made the sauce before work and have it in the crock-pot cooking for a good 8-10 hours.

I guess I'll start the grill when I get home, throw the lasagna together and cook it at about 350 for 70-75 minutes uncovered.  I'll throw some pictures up later tonight.

Comments

• Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871

Lasagna is one of our favourite egged treats.  We even use the egg to smoke the tomatoes and garlic we use in making the sauce.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    Hard to beat lasagna on the Egg. That smokey flavor....... :D
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    What wood do you use for flavor other then the lump? I've been wanting to try this and may have to soon. The other thing I want to cook is brisket chili. I am going to smoke a brisket point and let the drippings go into my CI DO with beans and chili seasonings. That's coming up this fall.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • StellarEvo
    StellarEvo Posts: 89

What wood do you use for flavor other then the lump? I've been wanting to try this and may have to soon. The other thing I want to cook is brisket chili. I am going to smoke a brisket point and let the drippings go into my CI DO with beans and chili seasonings. That's coming up this fall.
    I have pear wood and some hickory wood.  Haven't really thought about which one I would throw on there.  I would assume pear but not sure how that will go over.  Any thoughts?

• StellarEvo
    While throwing it together, I found out that we only have the "no boil" lasagna noodles.  It says to cover it with foil while baking.  I'm afraid that'll keep the smoke from the lasagna...anybody tried the no boil noodles on the Egg?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    While throwing it together, I found out that we only have the "no boil" lasagna noodles.  It says to cover it with foil while baking.  I'm afraid that'll keep the smoke from the lasagna...anybody tried the no boil noodles on the Egg?
    I haven't tried this, but I would cook it uncovered for 1/2 the time then cover it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• StellarEvo
    I ended up cooking it uncovered at about 330-350 for 35 minutes.  I covered it with foil and let it cook for another 10 minutes.  Finally, I let it go for another 5 minutes to let the cheese get a little more melty.  Then let it sit for 10 minutes before cutting.  Total time with Egg to mouth was an hour.

I think I cooked it too long to be honest.  I probably could have pulled it off before foiling.  There was a little scorching on the bottom layer so it wasn't perfect BUT...it was still really good.  There was a lot of good smoke flavor from the pear wood that I used.  See below for finished product: