Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip Photo?

Options
Bootheel Egger
Bootheel Egger Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a pic of a tri tip prior to cooking. As stated in the thread below "Tri Tip Price", I had a market order me some and they just came in. Went to pick it up and was a bit "disappointed" in how they looked. I know that there is supposed to be a fat cap on one side, but overall this is a very fatty looking cut of meat. Is that the way it's supposed to look? I was expecting some marbling to it but this if very fatty. Help!!![p]BE

Comments

• Dublin Dawg
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,
    Mine had the fat cap on one side, and I left it on. It had a lot of flavor to it. Watch the flare up when you sear though, cause it really gets the flames jumping.

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,
    Mine had what you might call a fat cap which I trimmed off this time. May 3/8 of an inch thick. There is marbling in the thick end. Some people trim off the fat and some don't.
    Also I think you can buy them either way. I don't know if the price reflects being trimmed or not.
    From what I hear it is a lean piece of meat so I think you have the real McCoy. Cook it up and see what you think.[p]Bob

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,
    I bought two of them yesterday at Costco and they look to be much more stringy and fatty than the ones I usually get at Fry's. I am hoping this is a good thing though since they are a better grade of beef. -RP

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    e42ba5f3.jpg
    <p />Bootheel Egger,
    This is the best I can do. Mine have always been very lean. Make sure you don't over cook.[p]Mike[p]tritip2.jpg

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,
    Follow the link then go the the bottom of the page to see a tri tip.[p]Hope it helps,
    New Bob

[ul][li]Link[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    f7583523.jpg
    <p />Bootheel Egger,[p]And here is the flip side[p]c17bb507.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Dublin Dawg
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Do we ever stop and think to ourselves "I am taking pictures of raw meat and posting them on the Internet?"
    ;0) LOL

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,
    Yea, or like staring at the temperature guage long enough that it talks to you.

• wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,
    I have to say... my wife thinks I'm nuts when I grab the camera with the cover off of the egg. Me thinks she just doesn't understand...LOL
    Heres to taking as many pics as I can sneak in... ;)
    Cheers,
    wrobs

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,[p]Boy, you hit the nail on the head! I take hundreds of digital pictures weekly at work, so it only seemed natural to take some of fun things as well.[p]I think it was Mad Max that posted a Dagwood cartoon from the funny papers taking a photo of one of his sandwiches. Can't find it but is was great.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bootheel Egger
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks for the photo. That looks more like what I was thinking. The one I got was "choice" grade but is very fatty throughout the roast. Maybe I need to look a little before buying next time. But then again at about $3.50 per lb, not a big loss. Bout to put it on the grill. Thanks again,[p]BE