Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning Your Egg

Options
What do you use to Clean the outside of your egg?
Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Myself I use a 100% cotton rag soaked with water. Seems to work pretty good. To date I haven't put any type of cleaner on my egg. Just water and ivory soap. So far so good. Others may can offer other suggestions as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stevethegreat
    Options
    I've used water when it's hot/warm (be careful) and a towel. Also used simple green and paper towel when it's cool.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    Grease lightening or dish soap with warm water and scrub brush rinsed with hose.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Simple Green works like a charm.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I use Method spray. Keep a bottle sitting on the SS table as it's good on the Eggs or table. Cooks Illustrated picked it #1.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I let the rain do most of the cleaning! Have used a paper towel from time to time.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    I just cook on it.  Cleaning is for sissies!
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I will wipe down the outside of it with a rag while it's hot and cooking if I see any grease running from the daisy wheel.  It's usually hot enough that it comes right off without too much fuss.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    You can't beat simple green IMHO for the outside kettle and dome finish. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    SGH said:
    Myself I use a 100% cotton rag soaked with water. Seems to work pretty good. To date I haven't put any type of cleaner on my egg. Just water and ivory soap. So far so good. Others may can offer other suggestions as well.
    That is exactly what I do. Every time I use it! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    BGE recommends to avoid the use of chemical cleaners, the use of water and a soft rag seem the most appropriate. As @johnkitchens says - easy to do if you wipe it down every time you snuff it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I use a little vinegar diluted in water. Works great.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum