Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Me Eat Pig, No Moo

Options
Dichickos Garlic marinated thick pork chops done caveman style.  Potatoes and sauteed asparagus sides.

Did not have the dramatic effect on flavor that it does on beef, but did have more caramelized surface that it would have had on the grid.  Inside was moist and soft.  Nice presentation and a good entertainment for company, but not as much so as beef.

Last pic shows I got a dinner and a lunch with one of these chops.  I like it when a plan comes together.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Looks like a tasty meal Doc!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • stevethegreat
    stevethegreat Posts: 247
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Looks awesome @Doc_Eggerton‌ ! Did you cook them all the way through caveman or pull them after the crust was formed and finish on the grid? I couldn't imagine sticking a thermapen down there or pulling a chop out each time you wanted to temp it.

Edit: looking at the pics again it looks like you filled it to the brim with charcoal so maybe wouldn't be too bad temping on the coals.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Excellent, I have to try caveman style!  Fine looking pics.
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Nailed it Doc... they look awesome. Try it will some big chicken breasts next, they turn out pretty good to.
  • hapster
    Options
    Looks awesome @Doc_Eggerton‌ ! Did you cook them all the way through caveman or pull them after the crust was formed and finish on the grid? I couldn't imagine sticking a thermapen down there or pulling a chop out each time you wanted to temp it. Edit: looking at the pics again it looks like you filled it to the brim with charcoal so maybe wouldn't be too bad temping on the coals.
    I do it using a welding glove, that's one advantage of the thermapen being so fast
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Ya I use some heavy leather BBQ gloves, I would be more concerned with my thermapen being exposed to such high direct heat.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Looks awesome @Doc_Eggerton‌ ! Did you cook them all the way through caveman or pull them after the crust was formed and finish on the grid? I couldn't imagine sticking a thermapen down there or pulling a chop out each time you wanted to temp it. Edit: looking at the pics again it looks like you filled it to the brim with charcoal so maybe wouldn't be too bad temping on the coals.
    Did the whole meal that way.  It is no problem reaching in with a thermapen, the meat dampens the temp.  Near the end I pulled the chops and stirred the lump to get some hot coals to the surface.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    hapster said:
    Nailed it Doc... they look awesome. Try it will some big chicken breasts next, they turn out pretty good to.
    As it happens I am cooking split rib chicken breasts tonight.  Do you flip them so both sides are on the coals, or do them ribs down?

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Very nice, Doc. Been awhile since I employed the caveman style of cooking.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice Job, Doc. I haven't tried caveman yet.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • hapster
    Options
    hapster said:
    As it happens I am cooking split rib chicken breasts tonight.  Do you flip them so both sides are on the coals, or do them ribs down?
    Cool... the ones I did where boneless and I did flip them a few times to even the char till they got to about 155 when I pulled them for a rest