Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Seared Pit Beef

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
PitBeef.jpg
<p />Finally got some pix off my camera from this weekend's cowboys and injuns game Pit Beef. First time I have cooked anything like this, and being stubborn I had to try something new. Instead of searing at the beginning, I smoked this 8 pound top round roast for 5 hours at 210 degrees until it was 132 internal. Then seared the pants off of it on a blazing medium egg. [p]The color was amazingly even all the way through, and the roast barely gave up any juice during the slow cook. I was expecting half a pie pan of drippings, but only got a few drops. Nice subtle smoke flavor and a tantalizing peppery crust. Piled high on a toasted kaiser roll with some hoss radish, and we wuz in high heaven.[p]cheers!
Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    Nature Boy,
    thats absolutly the best roast beef pic ive seen yet. always have done them at higher temp, but definately going to try that, 210, indirect?

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nature Boy,
    Now that I wiped the drool off my computer I'm curious to know what cut of beef you used - inquiring minds want to know. Man that looks tremendous! Joe

• Nature Boy
    fishlessman,
    Thank you. Like I said, I am new with beef roasts, so not much to compare to. But we had very little in the way of leftovers, so I figger it was alright! Yeah, indirect. I was gonna go higher (like 250), but it was moving along pretty well at 210 so I just left it there.[p]Forgot to mention I used a coule nice cherry chunks for smoke.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Thanks Joe,
    Twas an 8 pound top round roast from Costco. Slathered in olive oil and an overnight sit with a blanket of Cow Lick.
    Happy holidays!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    sorry i missed you on sunday. ..that looks outstanding!! !. ..[p]which rub did you use?? ... i love 'red eye' on pit beef. ..

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Nature Boy,
    That's beautiful looking meat. I've been working on the same method, my new change is a lighter sear at the end. I just did a tri-tip and had pink straight across the cut. I'm VERY satisfied with this method so far.[p]Your cook looks blue ribbon!
    Are there BBQ competition categories for shaved pit beef?
    Clay[p]

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Nature Boy, now you see why I like roasts slow cooked first then seared last. Also makes a nice presentation with the even full color of meat. Tri-tips done this way are outstanding.

• Nature Boy
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Dizzy Pig Cow Lick [p];-)

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Thanks Clay
    Now that you mention it, shaved beef could be entered for the "Chef's Choice" or "Anything But" categories since it's not brisket. Then the team could eat what's left (most of it hehe)
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    tach18k,
    Yep, I see why.
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    I won't say I told you so, but that is the way I do most of my beef. [p]Chef Jerry

• Nature Boy
    Jwirlwind,
    You're way ahead of me, Chef!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Nature Boy,
    Was it 210 degrees at the grate or the dome? I've got to try that. Looks yummy! Both my wife's family and my family want me to cook Christmas dinner on the eggs. had planned on turkey and pork loin, but now I'm going to have to add that beef!
    Tnx,
    Jimbo[p]

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • Nature Boy
    Mornin Jimbo.
    210 grate. The dome was running about 225 the way I had it set up. [p]Yeah, you gotta do the beef. I was at the grocery store the other day lookin at those beef roasts, and WessB's pit beef popped into my mind. I couldn't shake the craving and had to go back out and git me a roast. Will do this one again as it is a pretty low maintenance cook.[p]'Appy 'Olidays!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Nature Boy,[p]That looks amazing! It will happen in our home soon![p]
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Nature Boy,[p]Now that sounds, and looks, good. I have had a hankerin' for a good beef sandwich lately and you haven't helped matters any. Working close to home tomorrow so I might just have to put one on at lunch time for dinner. I might also have to head to south philly and get me one for lunch today.[p]Have a great day!![p]Chuck

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Nature Boy,[p]Of the several advantages to an end sear, The complexity of the flavors on the crust has got to be near the top of the list.[p]Like many, I prefer to use barbecue temps (190°-220°) on most roasts, but have gone higher on top & bottom rounds. I'm giving the lo-n-slo a try on my next one of those![p]PS: Have you tried out that stick burner yet??[p]~thirdeye~ [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Nature Boy,
    Sally would kill for some that rare, now you got me thinkin its time to do some pit beef.[p]Merry Christmas to you and yours
    Wess

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Nature Boy,
    I sure will be happy when you finally learn how to cook.[p]lmao

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Bobby-Q,
    Yea, I was thinking it was a little red. I thought beef was supposed to be dead....haha.....

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • tach18k,[p]So how long would you slo cook a tri-tip. I finally got my hands on two and was thinking of doing one this weekend. Do you sear it afterwatds? When you slo cook it are you doing it indirect or direct at a low temp?[p]Thanks,
    Paul

• Paul,
    I cooked a 2 3/4 LB tri-tip by searing 5 minutes each side at approx. 600 degrees, then took it off and brought the BGE temp down to 300 degrees. Put it back on for 10 minutes per side, and came out great, sort of medium to medium rare. I used a rub I made on each side, marinated overnight.

• Nature Boy,
    very nice indeed! Thanks for the info... [p]Happy & Merry to you too!!! Joe

• Nature Boy,[p]How much did the meat temp go up during the sear? I like the idea of an end sear for a number of reasons but have been hesitant to try...don't want to get the meat temps over.[p]Beautiful roast![p]
  • Nature Boy
    thirdeye,
    So, you find the end sear gives you a more complex flavor that a begin sear?? [p]Naw, not cooked on the stickburner yet. I am still trying to figure out if I can get that beast shipped out here from Oklahoma reasonably. I look forward to playing on it. Should be quite a different experience than an egg. That was a pretty cool prize.[p]Happy holidays
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Bobby-Q,
    When will I know when I have learned?? [p]Funny, I think of cooking sorta like law or medicine where you are always "practicing".
    Hope all is well Mr. Q
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    The Egg And I,
    The sear had very little effect on the internal temp of that beast. The interesting thing is that since very little heat was being applied for the roasting/smoking, the internal temp must have risen very little during the rest. (I did not measure it after removing). The sear put a pretty heavy burst of heat on the meat for a few minutes, but doesn't really carry over to the middle.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    WessB,
    It was not rare, but I'd prolly call it a solid medium rare all the way through.
    Still learning bigtime though, but it was pink not bloody. Bet Sally would be into it. You gonna go down the "Reverse Sear" route?? I didn't coin a technique, but I might have coined a phrase!!!
    cheers to yall, and Merry Christmas.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Paul,
    I do mine indirect at 250 dome, I take it to 125 and pull and rest for about 15 minutews or till the Egg gets back to 600 plus degrees, then I sear to my liking. Time wise I dont know I never checked or cared, Once it got to 100 I started anything that would be done in 30 minutes. Searing at the end allows for more time for other items to be ready rather than have the meat ready and have to wait for the rice or potatoes to be done. Wehn everything is ready I sear away and rest about 10 minutes before slicing.[p]tri_tip800.jpg

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Nature Boy,[p]Yeah... the way I figure, without a beginning sear, you got several hours for the protiens and sugars to come to the surface (I'm sure some evaporate). Now, we know the Maillard reaction does happen on a begin sear ..... so I'm thinkin' there is more ammunition to let it happen on an end sear. With an end sear, even considering the resting time, those carmel like flavors would only be 15 or 20 minutes old instead of several hours old. Maybe I should have said "distinct" instead of complex :)[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery