Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

william sonoma sale - Coconut Charcoal w/ free shipping

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Afire Koko Coconut Charcoal, 4 1/2 lbs   Item #: 61-1578350

I just got 4 boxes (4.5 lbs a box)  w/ free shipping.  I know nothing about it but I will give it a try.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I jumped on several boxes as well with 25% off and free shipping 2 weeks ago.
    Have used similar lump and like using it in my Small and Mini. The smaller uniform size was very nice in the small Eggs.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Just looked at Naked Whiz review of it . .  NOT GOOD! 

My only positive is the price here - paid less per pound than I do for my normal fuel (K.Joe - Red Bag).  Still maybe others will be smart and the review first (below) before following my lead.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Just bought 4 boxes. Thanks for the heads up!
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Haven't tried this. Rockwood all the way for me.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Don't worry about the review that was a while ago. My boxes from a few weeks ago have been doing well.
    6 hour butt cook had 50% left easily. I posted it recently.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1545082/#Comment_1545082
    Seattle, WA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Anyone used this before and can comment on taste with regards to standard lump?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    No taste less smokey if anything.
    Seattle, WA
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Pass!! 

;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options

@NDG-thanks for the opportunity to spend a few $$ (about the cheapest after-market buy I have had with the BGE). :)   Just ordered 4 boxes-nice to find a change of pace.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Good to know, thank you.
    I have had good luck with the nut fuel in the past and I really like the smaller uniform pieces in the small grills. To me the fire is more even across the cooking grid using this type of fuel in the smaller Eggs. Just my opinion, no thermo probe testing.
    I really like the TNW site and his reviews are awesome but quality will vary and we can only hope ours fall in a good season.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I tossed 2 of my 4.5 pound boxes on the scale tonight. Both were closer to 5 pounds than 4.5. At least I know these boxes were not short like the larger box in TNW review.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    See my thread elsewhere on my fantastic CL score this week of 450# of coco extruded lump. Tried it last night, takes awhile to get rolling but oh when it does! Takes equally long time to cool off. I can see this being my go-to for low and slow cooks for quite the while given my present "inventory". Despite what TNW or any other experts on the subject say about any lump, if its reasonably priced and youre interested why not form your own opinion? Choices are good.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I did see your earlier post. I agree people should form their own opinions and experiment with different lump. I also think it's foolish not to take advantage of the wealth of compiled information on the TNW site. Hell, I would have at least burned a piece of that nut lump in the parking lot before loading 450 pounds into my car. But again, money does not grow on trees for me and we all have our opinions and take our own risks with time and money. I'm glad your CL deal worked well for you but it could have easily gone the other direction.
    Happy scootering
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    I am only one man, with one egg...it takes an awful long time to go through a bag of lump you're not crazy about.  AND, when you find something you like better, you use it even less because what cook is not worthy of your best lump?  Hamburgers and hot dogs, I guess...and those don't get cooked that often or use up that much lump.   I definitely process the opinions here and on TNW before buying lump!
    LBGE/Maryland