Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rack purchase confusion... (i.e. HELP!)

Options
I've decided to add an adjustable rack to the mix and it seems folks like the offering over at Ceramics Grill Store (if there is another product that better suits my needs, please point me to it!)    The issue is, that website is so confusing I can not figure out what I need.  To add to that, they have gone through great pains to clearly point out all the configurations and what options you need...but it is still confusing.  Their pictures are tiny little thumbnails and I can't really figure out what is going on.

Here is what I would like, if anyone can provide guidance on the best way to get there...I'm all ears!

1) Two levels to cook multiple pork shoulders, brisket or ribs.  (6 racks of ribs laid flat would be ideal)
2) I want to re-use my BGE plate setter and cooking grid if possible.

I would prefer to not have to remove the rack from the BGE to access the meat when the cook is done or if I want to rotate pieces during cooking.  It seems that on long cooks, the longer I have the grill open the more flare ups I get.  I want to be in and out quickly.

The AR seems to offer so many options for so many different scenarios...I'm dizzy.  I'm not sure what I need and what is just a "nice to have".  

Maybe I'm best just going to Home Depot, getting a round grate that would fit on top of my existing grate, and buying some stainless steel bolts and washers to raise it up...  (If I do that, what size round grate would I buy for a large so that I can raise it above the felt and still close the lid?)

THANKS in advance, for any help here!  :-bd
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Give Tom a call at Ceramic Grill Store or copy this post and email to his site. This post is very well written and explains your needs very well.
    He really is a nice guy and will not sell you more than you need or want.
    I have a AR for my Large and really like it. Kind of against what you said above, but I like the ability to grab the AR and lift it out of the Egg in one piece to rotate and move food around and not keep the dome open. If you choose, most cooks can be set up on sliding racks as well.
    It  does seem confusion until you start cooking with it. Many options depending on what you want to cook and what kind of grids, trays and stones you have. You don't need the Super Deluxe Presidential Model to get started. The AR body, 2 to 4 sets of cross bars, and your choice of a second grid, round or slide out oval will get you going. A 15"-16" pizza stone is also nice. So much nicer than messing with the platesetter.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    He has a you tube channel. 2 different set ups in action. Just search ceramic grill store on you tube
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Give Tom a call at Ceramic Grill Store or copy this post and email to his site. This post is very well written and explains your needs very well.
    He really is a nice guy and will not sell you more than you need or want.
    Email sent.
    Appreciate the feedback!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I want to keep using the platesetter too and didn't want to drop too much $ right now, so I bought a grill dome grill extender on Amazon for ~ $35.  it's one rack on three legs and gives me the room I need.  Works great, can set on plate setter or on grid and gives you enough headroom for butts or brisket.
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    @KiterTodd  I am glad it is not just me.  Their website could use a major overhaul.

Living Large and XL

• VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    Options
    CGS is good stuff and Tom is a straight shooter.

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    Personally I would start with some home made stuff first and then figure out what ya need. Think couple extra cheap grids , maybe a couple fire bricks cut in varying heights , beer cans, and or bolts nuts and washers. Here's a pic of my cheap multi tier setup for 3 levels of baconimage
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    lilwooty said:
    @KiterTodd  I am glad it is not just me.  Their website could use a major overhaul.
    I have arrived at their website a few times now on various searches, like the look of the product and always end leaving going "I don't have time for this now..."

I'll give the AR folks a chance to respond, but I like the look of some of the more simple raised grid approaches out there.  Haven't seen any that would fit 3 racks of ribs, top and bottom, though.  (other than the HomeDepot solution!)  
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Personally I would start with some home made stuff first and then figure out what ya need. Think couple extra cheap grids , maybe a couple fire bricks cut in varying heights , beer cans, and or bolts nuts and washers. Here's a pic of my cheap multi tier setup for 3 levels of baconimage

Is that Pork Belly in the photo? How did you cook it and at what temp? I want to try that one sometime soon.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Sounds like R&B oval combo , extender with sliding D grid. 2 extra oval racks and additional set of cross bars. Smaller pizza stone also to put on your spider you will need.

If you can live with 4 racks no need for spider or extra stone and take off one of the extra oval grids.

I don't think you can use PS with the rig, I have one just put it to the side and use the oval. You can use the stock grid for 2 butts or anything else where you don't need the extender.

I have some pics of my AR setup if you browse through the comments. Good luck.
    Seattle, WA
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    lilwooty said:
    I have arrived at their website a few times now on various searches, like the look of the product and always end leaving going "I don't have time for this now..."

I'll give the AR folks a chance to respond, but I like the look of some of the more simple raised grid approaches out there.  Haven't seen any that would fit 3 racks of ribs, top and bottom, though.  (other than the HomeDepot solution!)  
    I ended up going to HD and buying an 18" round cooking grid and some SS nuts and bolts and made my own raised grid for a little over $20.  Fits my XL perfectly and sturdy too.  I think the AR products are good stuff, but for me they are not worth the price tag.  To each his own as they say.

Living Large and XL

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Agree looking at a cheap work around setup was not worth it to me, and I am frugal. It just depends.
    Seattle, WA
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    ... If you can live with 4 racks no need for spider or extra stone and take off one of the extra oval grids....
    You lost me here.

So...I can skip the spider and stone?  it seems that the small stones they have don't provide enough indirect shielding?   I'm sure I am looking at it wrong....
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Oval combo comes with the oval stone. That occupies a spot on the rig you can use for an additional rack of ribs. If you want that space you need the stone and spider for use below.

This page helps also

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/103-tab-articles/lg-adj-rig-tabs.html
    Seattle, WA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    SkinnyV said:
    ... If you can live with 4 racks no need for spider or extra stone and take off one of the extra oval grids....
    You lost me here.

So...I can skip the spider and stone?  it seems that the small stones they have don't provide enough indirect shielding?   I'm sure I am looking at it wrong....
    the stone on the spider sits down lower and works very well as an indirect setup and down the road you might regret not having a spider and wok setup.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Ahhh, thanks.   I had forgot about the wok bonus you get.   I could see doing a campfire cook on that.  Hmmm...

Thanks!
    LBGE/Maryland