Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mahi Mahi help please

So...I have some pieces of Mahi fillets from a trip to Florida this spring. Wanting to grill them tonight. Any advice I can get would be appreciated. Trying to eat healthy, so wanting to keep it simple. Just some sort of rub and EVOO maybe. I've had bad luck in the past with fish drying out on me. Thoughts?
GWN

Comments

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Last time I did Mahi, I blackened it at high heat. Couple of minutes per side and it definitely did not dry out.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    @BuckeyeBob‌ . So you thinking CI pan on grate at fire ring level at around 500°? I do have some blacken seasoning here. Do you put anything in the pan, or just leave it dry? Do you rub the fish with EVOO before applying the seasoning?
    GWN
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    I just grill direct.  On my large,  I get the dome temp to about 400 degrees.  Cooking grate must be brought up to temp, and it must be clean.  I am not a big fan of rubs with multiple seasonings on fish.  Just a light coat of canola oil and salt and pepper.  I want to taste the fish, not a dozen different herbs and spices.  Lightly coat the cooking grate with a little canola oil too, just before the fish hits the grill.   When the top of the fish starts to turn opaque, it is time to flip.  Just flip once.  I cook mine until it is medium, no more.  Take it off and hit it with a squeeze of lemon.  Good to go. 

Living Large and XL

• ofcman29
    ofcman29 Posts: 28

We live in Fort Lauderdale and do Mahi often.  We usually use a cast iron skillet on the BGE and get it to a searing heat.  We dress the fish prior to cooking with olive oil and either Everglades spice or simple S&P.

Once it hits the heated cast iron it immediately sears the outside of the Mahi and within a couple of minutes the fish is done.  Crisp on the outside and flaky on the inside.

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    How about an asian marinade and glaze?
    Soy, ginger, garlic scallions, sesame oil (very little),, vegetable oil,  honey sriracha sauce, tbs peanut butter. or something along those lines. Split the marinade in half and simmer half to thicken to a sticky glaze
    Marinate the fish fillets for about an hour, meanwhile get the egg to about 400. cook the fish, depends on thickness for the length of time but Mahi Mahi is reasonably dense. Paint the fish with the glaze as it cooks and just before serving. Man, I want some myself now.
    >:D<

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    If your fish is dry it's overcooked. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Nanook
    Thanks for the advice!
    GWN
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited July 2014
    This is a fun cook, and pretty easy to whip up. cut a whole pineapple to make enough planks to hold the number of filets you have. Set the fillets on top of the pineapple planks and grill direct. If you want some color on the side of the mahi that faces up. grill a side first and then flip it into the plank with the uncooked side down. I put  Cilantro, shaved red onion, Pineapple chunks, rub of your choice, (I use a citrus savory blend from Kroger) and a little heat (I use a powdered form of  Cholula that is no longer sold, sad, because it is great) in the salsa. If I have it ripe I add some mango chunks as well. 350-375 until the fish is about 120 IT,  Looks fancy tastes even better than it looks. Not a chance it is going to dry out using this method unless you go way over 120 IT. Really a moist cooking method. Saw someone do this some where and tried it, it was wonderful and easy. 
  • Nanook
    Well. Did the blackened thing with the CI pan. Turned out awesome. Thanks again for everyone's input. @keepervodeflame‌ . That looks great. Will def give it a try.
    GWN