Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humbled by the fire

Options
I've had my Large BGE for about a month. It has been great. I've smoked bologna, a pork shoulder, did a spatchcock chicken, some burgers etc. All of these had been during the day but I had no trouble with the fire. 

Jump to last night and I decide to put a pork shoulder on. I lit the egg, had it stabilized at 250, and put the shoulder on at 11 PM. I stayed with it maybe 15 minutes and everything seemed good so I went to bed. I slept just fine as I had very good experiences so far. I get up at 5:30 this morning and you guessed it, no fire. I felt like crap. The shoulder was for my in-laws and I wasn't going to risk making them sick so I tossed it. I hated to do it but it wasn't worth the risk.

So now I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong and how to make it not happen in the future:

1. I need a remote thermometer with two probes, one for grate and one for meat. I need it to have an alarm for when the grate temp gets low and when the meat is done.  I want it to have good probes that I don't have to worry about. I thought I saw one recommended where an aftermarket guy swaps out for better, made in USA probes. I'd like to keep it under $100
2. When I lit the fire I used my weed torch which I've used in the past. However I mainly had one spot lit instead of the three I would have had lit if had used the egg starters. I'll make sure to have more spots started next time (may use starters as backup)
3. I should have stayed up with it longer and checked on it every couple hours or so. Lesson learned. I can sleep when I'm dead.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• golfandgrill
    golfandgrill Posts: 198
    Options
    switch to turbo mode. 325-350 all the way through. I've never had a fire go out once that way.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. Under $100, made in USA, probes you don't have to worry about and an alarm for the pit and the food. FWIW you may have difficulty with this in that price range. One word. Stoker.

Hang on while I speak to the wise one on your request. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I would recommend a Maverick ET-733 as the remote thermometer. Email forum member @stlcharcoal to get a good deal on it.

I think the total package will be well below $100.

I light the fires at 2 places for my low & slow .. a little bit off center on the left & right. I have run out of charcoal on a brisket cook ... now I often load it up with charcoal right up to almost touching the platesetter ( I use a PSWoo2).
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Don't feel bad. It has happened to a lot of eggers before. 

It sounds like you need a Maverick. I just purchased mine last week. I haven't used it yet, but your description in number 1 sounds just like what a Maverick does. I got mine for $69.99 I think.

Don't sweat it. No one wants to throw away meat and have a ruined cook, but I bet you will never do it again!  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @fljoemon‌ and are the probes worthy and Made in the US of A? How about the controller? Just saying.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL .. they are definitely Made in USA .. a forum post on BBQ Brethern by the owner of the BBQ Equipment Store attests to that.

Yes .. I have a controller (Flame Boss) and I love iit .. but for less that $100 which is what the OP wants .. I don't think you can find anything other than a used Auber that someone is wlling to sell.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Just curious... what did your dome thermo read at 5:30 when you woke up?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    @NPHuskerFL .. they are definitely Made in USA .. a forum post on BBQ Brethern by the owner of the BBQ Equipment Store attests to that.

Yes .. I have a controller (Flame Boss) and I love iit .. but for less that $100 which is what the OP wants .. I don't think you can find anything other than a used Auber that someone is wlling to sell.
    The Pitmaster IQ110 is the closest you're going to get the $100 mark.......email me.  If you can find a used one, it would be under $100.  I occasionally see them on eBay or have one from someone that traded up to a IQ120 (none right now though.)
  • JHands
    JHands Posts: 78
    Options
    I'll add in. Maverick et 733. Keep only lighting one area of lump dead center. Make sure you arrange your lump don't just dump and light. Big chunky pieces on the bottom. Then getting smaller as you get to the top. I fill almost to the level of the plate setter now - above the fire ring. When you are trying to hold 250 dome the fire is more likely to go out than at say 300 dome. The only way you are going to be able to sleep the full night without the maverick alarm going off and you having to go out and open the vents up for a few is if you get a controller set up IMO. This can also be combatted by better lump. I have not tried better lump yet so I just sleep on the couch as per my old lady's orders when I'm overnighting
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    fljoemon said:

Cool! That's awesome that it's made here stateside.

& @stlcharcoal‌ I've never tried the device you've listed. However, I trust you as you led me to the Smokeware (you even saved me $$ by giving me a heads up that the business was located right in my neck of the woods). And FWIW you always give sound advice and it's appreciated Sir. Thanks. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • w_ky
    w_ky Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm not necessarily looking for something to control the temp, just something to report what it is and send an alarm if it goes outside a certain range.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Sounds like the Maverick is for you. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

fljoemon said:

Cool! That's awesome that it's made here stateside.

& @stlcharcoal‌ I've never tried the device you've listed. However, I trust you as you led me to the Smokeware (you even saved me $$ by giving me a heads up that the business was located right in my neck of the woods). And FWIW you always give sound advice and it's appreciated Sir. Thanks. B-)
    The probes he linked to are made in USA, the base and receiver of the Maverick are not. Just an FYI.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    A key to what may have happened is your definition of "stable".  I will get the LBGE loaded up with everything except the meat and once no vent adjustments for 45-60 mins, I'm "good to go".  With the large lump load mentioned in above posts, you can light the BGE 2-3 hours before starting the cook and still have plenty of lump for follow-on cooks the next day.  There are many ways to get there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    DMW said:
    The probes he linked to are made in USA, the base and receiver of the Maverick are not. Just an FYI.
    This is correct.  I don't know about the probes that come with it though.  They look the same, but I the units are completely packaged overseas from what I can tell.  So unless they export the probes, the originals are foreign as well.  Not sure.  Either way, so far so good on my two units.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Is your forum name for Western Kentucky? If so, can't help you. UK fan here. Just kidding.

I light in 3 places for low and slow, overnight. I stabilize for an hour, then put the meat on. Then I monitor for 2 hours. I know everyone says the temp will come back up, and it may just do that. However, in my experience that takes several hours. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I use a maverick and it works well. I am in the market for a pit controller, but that is for a different thread.

Welcome aboard.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    +1 on the Maverick ET-733, That would have woke you up when the temp dropped too low. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    edited July 2014
    Options
    +1 on Lousubcap.  15 minutes is not nearly enough time for the egg to "stabilize."  One more thing to consider - be mindful of chasing the temperature.  Make small adjustments until you land on the right temp.  Having said that, I also own a ET-733.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    You really do need a Maverick.  Unless you're willing to wake up every 30 minutes during an overnight cook to check the temp, you should have one.  It's less than $100, works well and lets you sleep through the night

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    A good nights rest is worth $100! 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    What type of lump?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    If your shoulder was above 140 degrees when you woke up you would more than likely be ok.
  • w_ky
    w_ky Posts: 9
    Options
    The dome temp was under 100 and the meet temp was under 140. I just didn't feel safe with it. If me or my in-laws would have gotten sick, the cost of the meat would have been the least of my worries. 

I was using red bag Royal Oak charcoal. I've used it before with good success. I should have stayed up with it longer to make sure everything was good. 

That all being said, I'm working out the details now of buying a Maverick 733 from stlcharcoal. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    w_ky said:
    The dome temp was under 100 and the meet temp was under 140. I just didn't feel safe with it. If me or my in-laws would have gotten sick, the cost of the meat would have been the least of my worries. 

I was using red bag Royal Oak charcoal. I've used it before with good success. I should have stayed up with it longer to make sure everything was good. 

That all being said, I'm working out the details now of buying a Maverick 733 from stlcharcoal. 
    You erred on the side of caution and, there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    The big question is how much lump did you put in? Don't get me wrong i love my et-732 but it isn't going to keep the fire from goin out. So once the alarm goes off you'll be stirring coals or worse yet adding coals. For my long overnights I use my et-732 combined with my party q and it works amazingly well. I got both for around 150$. Et-733 is more expensive but I'm sure it's worth it for the extra features.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos