Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rumor Has It... (Mini Max)

Got a call from my BGE dealer today. She is supposed ot be receiving the first Mini Max shipment at the end of August. I already ordered mine...

Comments

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited July 2014
    Lit said:
    What year?

:))
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Is there an official price on it yet?
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • KJWILD
    KJWILD Posts: 95
    What is the price?
    Husband, Father, Grandfather and Chef of the Home Front. XL BGE- purchased on 5/28/2014
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    oh who cares what the price is...its new we have to have it.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited July 2014
    oh who cares what the price is...its new we have to have it.

=)) So true! I am personally so pleased with my small that I'm glad I didn't wait for Mini Max.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    +1 on the price? and.....year lol
    Beaufort, SC
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited July 2014
    I'm torn.  I want one as soon as it's available, but I also want to get some feedback on how it performs before I get one as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• @minniemoh‌
    I'm with you, love my small. I'm in florida now and brought my small with me.

Little Rock, AR

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I love the versatility of the small. Can smoke every bit as good as my XL. Can sear like a mother and is portable!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • @Thatgrimguy‌
    It certainly sears with the best of them. I cooked some fresh fish filets last nite. They were exceptional (except they didnt happen cuz I dont have pics)

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    YEMTrey said:
    ...but I also want to get some feedback on how it performs before I get one as well.
    well said! The hype has been from eggers blindly wanting something new which to the best of my knowledge has not even been field tested. Let's see...what's that fable about the King's clothes?! WARNING - STAND CLEAR  - My post will get flamed! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @RRP‌ Mini and Small have been tested and proven. Minimax so far is a unicorn. Not to say I don't want one.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    @RRP. Maybe the Naked Whiz will have something to say. :)

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    You guys are right about the SBGE. We use our small at least as often as the M, L, & L combined. It's such a great lil cooker! The MBGE is my favorite performer though - crazy easy temp control and super efficient on lump and a very versatile size. The MBGE is the spatchcock monster - somehow, they just turn out better on that one in my opinion.

I've been working on a little project for transporting my SBGE. I'm saving the post for when it's complete. Should only be a few more days. Don't worry, it's nothing too remarkable but I have put a lot of time in on it. My wife thinks I'm nuts by the way. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Mine rides strapped in the backseat of my truck, usually. This trip had kiddos with me so I strapped it down in back of my truck. If I take off the daisy wheel it is EXACTLY the same height as my bedcover. It road 10 hours down here with no problems. Only issue I have is I cleaned it before I left and left the fire grate at home. I just put one grid on top of firebox, with lump on it, then firering with woo and sear grate over that. Worked fine last night.

Little Rock, AR

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I'm going to be pissed if this MiniMax eliminates the small egg! Upgrade for the mini - yes. Upgrade for the small - not a chance! Not trying to be a Debbie downer but I don't see very many benefits over the current small. I like my mini but wouldn't want to combine it with my small
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    WeberWho? said:

I'm going to be pissed if this MiniMax eliminates the small egg! Upgrade for the mini - yes. Upgrade for the small - not a chance! Not trying to be a Debbie downer but I don't see very many benefits over the current small. I like my mini but wouldn't want to combine it with my small

It won't. All the small components fit the Max except for the the fire grate which is the same as the LG.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    My dealer told he December.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I'm super interested. I need something portable. Chances are I'll own one. It'll go good with my XL.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
     Does it come with a free shirt and fire wires?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Griffin said:

^:)^
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Griffin said:
    Now that's funny!!
    =)) :)) =)) =D>
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited July 2014

C'mon now youse guys - can't we all just get along???  Think of the older people and the kids...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0

No way anyone would post something for shameless self-promotion (is there??)...  Uh oh, watch out - fearing another troll stamp in the passport...

Santa Paula, CA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited July 2014

WeberWho? said:
    This confuses me as well.  I have not cooked on anything but a large, but I'm still not clear on why you need an egg between Mini and Small.   Someone in the know, please tell me.

My speculation is that it is a response to competitive pressure.  A niche has popped up somewhere else and they have to fill that need in order to keep customers buying green flowerpots!  :)  
    (I really don't know...just a wild guess)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2014
    KiterTodd said:

WeberWho? said:
    This confuses me as well.  I have not cooked on anything but a large, but I'm still not clear on why you need an egg between Mini and Small.   Someone in the know, please tell me.

My speculation is that it is a response to competitive pressure.  A niche has popped up somewhere else and they have to fill that need in order to keep customers buying green flowerpots!  :)  
    (I really don't know...just a wild guess)
    A few people are speculating that it was in response to the Kamado Joe Jr.  It is a similar design.  It is shorter than the small egg with the same grid diameter, and it comes with a stand that makes it easier to carry. 

I think people are excited about an egg that is a bit more portable than the small with more cooking area than the mini.

Another benefit should be that because the fire grate is larger it should get more air flow and light easier than the small egg.  This seems to be somewhat of a mystery of the small...roughly half the small owners report that it is a PITA to light and get to temp.  I am in the "small is a PITA to light" camp.  

I already have a small so I probably won't go through the trouble and expense to trade, but if I didn't have a small or mini I would seriously consider the mini-max.  That being said I would wait and hear some of the "field tests" as mentioned before.

I think one advantage of the small is obviously it will hold more lump so it is better suited for longer cooks.  It may also have a taller dome so you really have more room for food (larger cuts, extra grid, etc). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I really want the new smedium egg coming out.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    SmokeyPitt, thanks for breaking it down.  Makes more sense now.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I was told that another be night is to chefs who use the mini in there kitchen wanted a bigger grate to cook on but still be able to have it on the counter and the small would not work for them.

me I want it for the motor home as there are times the mini is to small and my small won't fit in the basement of the motorhome.

either way first one at my dealer already has my name all over it.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have never had a problem lighting my small.

Johns Creek, Georgia