Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New thermapen here

Options
mslaw
mslaw Posts: 241
For the price, I never imagined it wouldn't light up, oh well. Going to stick it in some fat hamburger this evening.

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You did the same thing I did. They offer one with a back light, but my wife didn't select that one. 

You will still love it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited July 2014
    Options
    My wife got the one that's back lit for my Christmas present but i've never used it in the dark!!  How I lived and cooked for all these years without one is beyond me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • mslaw
    Options
    How much are the ones that have backlight?
  • johnkitchens
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If my Tpen ever dies, I'm getting a thermopop. Backlit, apparently just as accurate, only a couple of seconds slower and just $20something. I like the folding feature of the Tpen, but I don't like it $70 worth!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

I also recently purchased thermapen and love it.

Question:  They say it will give a reading in 2-3 seconds.  It seems like mine gives a reading pretty much instantly, is this true for everyone else?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• johnkitchens
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:

I also recently purchased thermapen and love it.

Question:  They say it will give a reading in 2-3 seconds.  It seems like mine gives a reading pretty much instantly, is this true for everyone else?

It is true for me. 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:

Mine reads instantly, but it takes a few seconds to settle down.  I also own a thermopop and think it is great. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • mslaw
    Options
    I've thrown away so many cheap thermometers that I could have paid for three thermapens. You can quickly tell it is a very well made device. Already glad I got it.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Shiff said:
    EGGjlmh said:

Mine reads instantly, but it takes a few seconds to settle down.  I also own a thermopop and think it is great. 

Does your thermopop take a little longer for an accurate temp?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    +1 on the thermapen. Love it and use it indoors and outdoors on the Egg.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    Love my green one. They say the green is the fastest 8-} Hell I even checked my baked potato the other night! BTW- 200IT is perfect for em.
  • mslaw
    Options
    I got red so I can't lose it
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Mines lime green. I heard they are the fastest..... ;)
    GWN
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Well I checked my baked potato with my thermapen the other night and 210 was perfect :P

Mine has flames on it it's so fast
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • mslaw
    Options
    Damn, I just got red. Color of the meat I eat
  • mslaw
    Options
    See, I'm gettin er ready. Gonna stick my red thing in a fat piece of meat. No, I'm not speaking of my better half.
  • MJLivingston
    MJLivingston Posts: 66
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @EGGjlmh‌
    Does your thermopop take a little longer for an accurate temp?

Just a couple of seconds I bought a couple for family members and when I cook at their house I use it and have to remember to slow down but only like 2 seconds. The thermopop is a really good deal.
    Lexington TN
  • mslaw
    Options
    First burger on egg and with thermapen . Came out pretty darn good.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I love mine and got red as well to remind me how I like my steak.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Back lit!!!! what??? I use mine all the time, I didn't. Know there was a back kit version. Whatever. That's why I bought all those. Flashlights.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Guys, the "hot coals" version is obviously the fastest... Plus how can you go wrong with burning lump on your thermapen?!?
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

You did the same thing I did. They offer one with a back light, but my wife didn't select that one. 

You will still love it. 

I've got the backlit. Really not worth the extra money, for me anyways, due to the inconsistent backlit sensor.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I have the Husker Scarlet (red) backlit w/ gel glow in the dark sleeve and leather carrying case. What's the price diff between backlit and non? Don't recall it being enough not to get the backlit model. FWIW.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    mslaw said:

See, I'm gettin er ready. Gonna stick my red thing in a fat piece of meat. No, I'm not speaking of my better half.

Couch time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options

If my Tpen ever dies, I'm getting a thermopop. Backlit, apparently just as accurate, only a couple of seconds slower and just $20something. I like the folding feature of the Tpen, but I don't like it $70 worth!

$24 plus $4.99 ground shipping. Getting mine this week.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited July 2014
    Options
    +99 for the ThermoPop. The backlit display works great for me due to crappy lighting in my driveway.

Although it's not an accurate instant read , I immediately know if I'm getting close to my target the second it enters the probed item.

Approximate temp helps when rotating meat to different areas of the grill. I can live with the 2 second lag when I need precise temps.

But ultimately the best thing about the ThermoPop is the price.

No intention of high-jacking the thread, but just wanted to say thanks to @BYS1981‌ for suggesting the ThermoPop to me several months ago. This thread just made me think of it.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

You will still love it. 
    I've got the backlit. Really not worth the extra money, for me anyways, due to the inconsistent backlit sensor.
    I didn't realize that it could be problematic. I seldom need a back light, but it sure would be nice to have one the few times I needed it.