Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time meat loaf

Options
Took my oven recipe meat loaf and cooked it in the egg tonight, not sure I will ever put it back in the oven. I ground a pound of pork loin and then used 2 pounds of 90/10 ground beef, then used 6 pieces of bread, 2 eggs, and a half a cup of milk, and a dash of poultry seasoning and some salt and pepper. Mixed it all and formed it on a cooling rack and sat on top of a pan indirect legs up at 400 for about 90 minutes until if reached 160. The last 30 minutes I put the mixture of ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire on top and let it cook in. Made extra sauce to eat on top, turned out great! Forgot to get a picture of it plated as I was hungry and it looked awesome.
Alexandria, KY

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Congrats.  One of my favorite cooks to do on the Egg.  Another meal that is improved upon by the Egg.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks excellent to say the least. Nice job!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Just curious. Do you ever use 70/30 or 80/20 instead of 90/10?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Good looking meatloaf. SWMBO told me recently that cooling racks aren't meant to be put in that much heat. Any thoughts on that?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    @tulocay‌
    I have been doing it for years with exceptional results. I guess it could depend on the rack it's self. I use the heavy duty ones and it has never hurt them.image

Status- Standing by.

• Big50
    Big50 Posts: 39
    Options
    I was told the same thing but they are never used around here so I gave it a try and didn't have a problem...
    Alexandria, KY
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Very nice!
    What I like about making meatloaf after the basic recipe you can just wing it. The last meatloaf I cooked I added shredded cheddar cheese and and some HP sauce to the mix. I also wrapped it in bacon. It came out awesome!
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Can't go wrong with HP!!
    GWN
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options

That's a good looking meatloaf.  Leftover sammies are almost as good as fresh off the egg.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    One of my favorites also, I do it raised indirect with the AR, right on the grill above a drip pan, above the stone.  Turns out awesome, with no soggy parts and a great 360 crust
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    It looks good, but did the bottom get a little burned? I use a tray I bought to cook vegetables or fish and line it with foil so the bottom doesn't burn. I don't like meatloaf in the oven anymore after having it on the egg a few times now. The last one I did, I mixed in blue cheese and it was great.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I have had excellent results cooking them on my XL using the BGE Cast Iron Grid flat side up.  I just put the CI on top of the SS rack on the platesetter legs up.  Tried several methods of placing the CI on the platesetter but the two sections do not balance well on the three legs.  Hope to get a Woo soon which will eliminate the tipping issue and not get both grates dirty.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • JHands
    JHands Posts: 78
    Options
    I went at 300 indirect with jack whiskey barrel chips. The meatloaf actually had a smoke ring when finished
  • Big50
    Big50 Posts: 39
    Options
    I tried to put it in the grid but it was too big and I could not transfer it without it falling apart...made meatloaf for 8, next time I'm gonna try straight on a raised grid...
    Alexandria, KY
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    The falling apart issue is why I went to cooking on the CI grid.  Flat side up and narrower space between the bars.  Makes it easy to pick up with my giant spatula I got at Wally World.  Also very nice smoke flavor as it isn't confined.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Try doing meatloaf on a cedar plank! Stays together and makes a nice presentation. We do it raised direct (plank makes it indirect) at 375-400 degrees about 1-1.25 hours to internal temperature of 160. And don't forget the JD oak chips!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    I like the idea of cedar planks.  Need to get some of those.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • grego
    grego Posts: 17
    Options
    Looks good, trying one tonight. What's the recipe for the sauce?
    Floral Park, NY