Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Napa

Options
Hey Gang. My wife and i are headed to napa for our honeymoon on Monday. I have done some research and found some of the good places to eat. Mustards, morimotos, ad hoc, and a few others. If any of yall have ever been out there and have some suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Where are you staying and what wineries are you going to see? We go out twice a year and have hit a lot of spots. Careful with Marimoto. It's good but we spent $550 (4 or us) on sushi, oysters and wine for lunch 6 weeks ago. Insanely expensive for what it is. Napa personified :D
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    @TarHeelBBQ‌ Don't have any suggestions, but congrats on getting married! My wife would love to go there but I don't drink wine.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I'm more of a beer guy than wine, I'd stop by Napa Marriot and the middle school for raiders training camp.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    It's a good idea to get outside of Napa, itself while doing some of the vineyards. If you're craving BBQ while you're away, go to Calistoga and try Busters Barbecue - basic but great food. They have a try-tip sammy that's knockout. Their hot sauce will blow your brains out - be warned!
    A buddy of mine raves about JoLe for tapas.
    Dinner at Tra Vigne in St. Helena is pricey but memorable - you'll both be talking about it on your tenth anniversary.
    Congratulations, by the way.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    If I was going to spend $500 on a meal i would go to the French Laundry in Yountville. 
    Micheal Chiarello's restaurants have always plated good food..not eaten in his new one, but Tra Vigne was one our favorites when we lived in the Bay Area.
    Go to Satuii's for wine.  Get some food from the deli, bread and a bottle and go out on lawn and have a picnic. Cakebread winery is good stop too.  
    Lots of places to go and see in the Napa Sonoma area.
    The hamburger stand down from Satuii is pretty good too.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Too many good breweries in the area to only do wine.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I thought from the title of the post that we were going to talk about car parts. 

I have been to napa valley a few times, but it was long time ago. We toured a few winery's. That was fun!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions We are going to Hess Winery, Artesa Vineyards, lava vine, tres sabores, volker eisle family estates, domain carneros, and a few more. Going for ten days so we have plenty of time. Not doing a hot air balloon. We are scheduled to head to morimotos. Two good friends of mine went in the last three months and absolutely loved it. Can't wait to get out there and relax. It's been a stressful six months. My parents got us a cast iron plate setter for a wedding present. My wife's favorite food is a cheeseburger. We made some tonight with the cast iron plate setter. Absolutely the best burger I've done on the egg. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking of purchasing one. I made a sriracha aioli and the usual lettuce, tomato, avacado. The plate setter gave it a great crunchy outside layer.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options

Where are you staying and what wineries are you going to see? We go out twice a year and have hit a lot of spots. Careful with Marimoto. It's good but we spent $550 (4 or us) on sushi, oysters and wine for lunch 6 weeks ago. Insanely expensive for what it is. Napa personified :D

I think i would have capped a monkey if my bill was 550.00 for raw fish...i mean was it at least cut really pretty or something?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options

Thanks for all the suggestions

We are going to Hess Winery, Artesa Vineyards, lava vine, tres sabores, volker eisle family estates, domain carneros, and a few more. Going for ten days so we have plenty of time. Not doing a hot air balloon. We are scheduled to head to morimotos. Two good friends of mine went in the last three months and absolutely loved it. Can't wait to get out there and relax. It's been a stressful six months.

My parents got us a cast iron plate setter for a wedding present. My wife's favorite food is a cheeseburger. We made some tonight with the cast iron plate setter. Absolutely the best burger I've done on the egg. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking of purchasing one. I made a sriracha aioli and the usual lettuce, tomato, avacado. The plate setter gave it a great crunchy outside layer.

Lucky man. Her favorite meal is a cheeseburger now you are gonna tell us she prefers beer over a glass of wine art ya...sure go ahead....rub it in...lol

congrats all around
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    You should  check out Castello di Amoroso, one of the best wines we tried and the castle is awesome. We ate at Mustards which was good hard to get a table though.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • HDumptyEsq
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @TarHeelBBQ. Just thought of it - try and get lunch in the restaurant at Chandon. Very modern and cool. Not too expensive.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    French Laundry is all they say it is, and more. Unfortunately, you need a reservation  year in advance.

I Love Satuii as well - as @Austin_Egghead says, do a picnic there. You wont forget it. We still have and use a Cheese knife we bought in the shop there for our picnic 18 years ago.

If I was going to spend $500 on a meal i would go to the French Laundry in Yountville. 
    Micheal Chiarello's restaurants have always plated good food..not eaten in his new one, but Tra Vigne was one our favorites when we lived in the Bay Area.
    Go to Satuii's for wine.  Get some food from the deli, bread and a bottle and go out on lawn and have a picnic. Cakebread winery is good stop too.  
    Lots of places to go and see in the Napa Sonoma area.
    The hamburger stand down from Satuii is pretty good too.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • TarHeelBBQ
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. We are really excited about our trip
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options

My wife and I are headed there Friday (my first time). We are hitting up:

Robert Mondavi and do tastings at Opus, Sawyer, Hall & Louis Martini Friday.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Saturday: Viader, Egelhoff, Joseph Phelps, Kuleto Estates  & Del Dotto Caves.  We want to grab lunch at V Sattui, Oakville Grocery or Dean & Deluca.

We are eating dinner at Mustards and Redd.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I would also recommend Ledson. That's one of our favorite stops. It's a very beautiful place and a nice experience. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    We were there in March and my favorite vineyard was Peju, we learned a lot an drank some great wines. The Francis Ford Coppola wine yard is also interesting, lots of movie artifacts and the wine isn't bad If you go over the mountain to Sonoma Valley and have a Visa Signature credit card, there are about 100 vineyards that offer free tastings with the card. Saves about $10-15 a person Have a great time, hope the weather works for you, we tried to get in a hot air ballon ride but it didn't work out
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • TarHeelBBQ
    Options
    Had dinner at mustards last night. That was the best pork chop I have ever eaten. This is a special part of the world
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    @Proser. Went to Peju several years ago. They asked us back the next day to help with the crush. Those are some great people and good wines, too.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• maedhros
    maedhros Posts: 3
    Options
    Sounds like a great trip. My wife and I head to Napa/Sonoma every other year or so. Our repeat favorites for wine include Joseph Phelps, St. Supery, Frog's Leap, Larkmead, and Benzinger (in Sonoma County). Ad Hoc and the beer can chicken at Bounty Hunter are both a must! 
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    Mustard's is excellent.  Visit the Shramsburg vinyard.  At the time we went it was the "Champagne of the Whitehouse".  Very cool cellars.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Went ziplining in the redwoods near there once. That was fun.
    Gittin' there...
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    If you want a truly local wine experience, try my forum name, Tulocay. Local winery and the guy pours some seriously full glasses. You might need a limo or cab after that experience. A little off the beaten path, but very good wine!!!!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • TarHeelBBQ
    Options
    Went to morimotos. It was good but not as good as advertised. Wife had the tuna and I had the pork chop. Salmon roll for an app was out of this world. Maybe we were full or it was too noisy. So far, we prefer mustards. Hitting several vineyards today. Happy Thursday!!
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    @TarHeeBBQ.
    Just testing to see if it's still OK….'99 Cab Franc. Wonderful stuff.
    ;)

Tony in Brentwood, TN.