Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: first trip to COSTCO tonight - any favorites ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I'll second the mention of fish. They have great wild Salmon and sometimes even Pacific Cod or Halibut. Always extremely fresh.  In the cheese line, they have a great assortmnent and sell most of it cheaper than anywhere else. We like Jarlsberg and they always have it at a good price and have it on sale from time to time.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but Costco has some base items, Kirkland stuff, etc, but Costco carries A LOT of regional items as well.

Cen Tex mentioned grabbed brisket, don't be heart broken if your Costco doesnt carry brisket, mine doesn't. Yours might not carry tri tip, and mine carries it in a cryovac of 6-8.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    HDumptyEsq said:
    Costco's prepared shrimp salad is worth spreading all over your body. 
    That must be some really good shrimp salad. I think I will take some home for dinner tonight! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Private label heavy duty aluminum foil and their private label rub. I also get all my wings and thighs from there.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Check in the cheese and dairy section and see if they have Tzatziki sauce. Best store bought I have found is there. They have great prices on their pork tenderloin as others have said and their mixed nuts are good too.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    HDumptyEsq said:
    Costco's prepared shrimp salad is worth spreading all over your body. 
    That must be some really good shrimp salad. I think I will take some home for dinner tonight! 
    In that case spread it all over the missus. :P

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You read my mind!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @NDG. So, how was it and how much did you spend? :-?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Look at the big Pelican coolers. Incredible prices. And the monster bags of tortilla chips are addictive.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Only bad thing is how much selection varies from store to store. The thread above mentions the pelican coolers. Last year my local Costco had them but this year they have yeti but they only have the 120 qt so I called all the other costcos within 30 miles and none of them had yeti or pelican. My Costco only carries flats but the one 15 miles away carries packers. Just venting but its kind of annoying. I had to drive 30 miles to get to the Costco having the little giant tour so I could get the 26' model.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    HDumptyEsq . . . We did not finish our membership paperwork until 8:30 and they closed at 9:00, but still, somehow, I spent over $200!  I took many of your recommendations (paper towels, mixed nuts w/macadamias & brazils, mateos salsa, diced tomatoes, aluminum foil) so thank you. Also, we found some of our favorites at great deals (ex: box of KIND BARS under $1 a bar).  

I was able to fly through the meat dept. and did not find Tri-Tip (had my fingers crossed) but the Seafood looked great.  We live down the street from Whole Foods and my wife is into the Organic scene and follows the Animal Welfare Standards.  I know many say its overpriced, but we buy whatever protein is on sale that week and its not bad at all.  That being said, my wife was not wild out the Chicken/Pork deals at Costco because of this . . but we will certainly be getting some of that seafood!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    EXAMPLE: Whole Foods Sale this week is swordfish steaks - not terrible, right?

CANADA - MSC-CERTIFIED HARPOON-CAUGHT
    FRESH, WILD SWORDFISH STEAKS
    Valid
    7/23 - 7/29
    $15.99 / lb
    Regular $19.99 / lb
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    Hot dog and a Drink for $1.50
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Kirkland hot dogs are pretty good.
    They have great cashews and their ordinary salmon filets are good and inexpensive.

Costco's selection of things is somewhat limited but if you see an item in the store that you're interested in, you probably won't find it cheaper anywhere on the planet.

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • NDG
    Options
    I know my wife's SUV is due for tires . . . I assume COSTCO will be the best deal?
    Columbus, OH

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2014
    Options
    NDG said:
    I know my wife's SUV is due for tires . . . I assume COSTCO will be the best deal?
    I put tires on my Yukon there, they had a special buy 3 tires get one free in February.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    NDG said:

Not neccessarily. I would see what other options were available as well
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    They alternate the tires deals every month between Bridgestone one month and Michelin the next
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    NDG said:

Most likely. Install is cheap. Lifetime road hazard warranty, rotation, and nitrogen(air) all for free. Saving 30 bucks/rotation on a 50k mile tire basically pays for the next set. I have never seen anyone cheaper besides some online sites.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Jellyworm said:
    Also check out the large roll of aluminum foil, Kirkland brand.  it is awesome. I also agree on their meat, the best I have found and a great price.

My wife just picked up the big roll of Heavy Duty that I keep out on my egg table. I use it a lot for covering steaks when resting... doing a quick clean of the grill... etc. I love it.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR