Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Souvlaki

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,487
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
Chicken Souvlaki today.  This recipe was in the new Cook's Illustrated,  and not something I've ever made before (in fact, I've never even made any kind of shish kebab before, had to buy some skewers).  
Chicken cubes are brined, then tossed in a mixture of olive oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, oregano, and minced mint and parsley.  They're skrunched against each other on the skewer, with veggie skrunched against both ends, to keep the chicken from drying out (worked well):

The cooked kebabs are then tossed in a little more of the marinade, spread on pita, and topped with the peppers/onions and a homemade zatziki sauce; the CI recipe used a LOT of mint, which I haven't before and it was delicious!  Chopped Greek salad and olives finish off.  

Very messy to make, messy to eat, and my chicken cross-contamination skills need work.  I also need to remember those #%$^@! skewers are HOT when they come off the grill.   I'll also do them raised direct next time, will be easier to turn the skewers.  But these things were delicious, definitely a keeper. 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Nice cook. Not familiar with that dish, I love trying new stuff.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    I some times marinate whole boneless chicken breast and cook them whole too same as you but i dont burn my fingers on the skewers  use the same marinate to :}
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Desertegghead
    Options
    I am going to do this with while boneless thighs and then cut after they are cooked. Delish
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I don't use skewers anymore. I put everything in a wire basket and I don't have the hassle of skewering, unskewering and stuff falling off into the fire. Might not look as fancy to guests but it's usually for me and the mrs served over rice with some soy sauce. Yours looks like some Mediterranean goodness.
    Jacksonville FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks incredible.  I would so burn myself on those too.  My favorite thing to do is take off something hot with gloves on, take off the gloves, then turn around and grab the hot thing I just took off.  I am pretty sure I only have a couple of nerve endings left and then I won't need gloves. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    That looks incredible.  I would so burn myself on those too.  My favorite thing to do is take off something hot with gloves on, take off the gloves, then turn around and grab the hot thing I just took off.  I am pretty sure I only have a couple of nerve endings left and then I won't need gloves. 

All the time!
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great looking souvlaki, the mint is a nice variation - SWMBO is drooling on the keyboard as I show her this, it is her all time favourite. 

Our usual is to serve the chicken off the skewer on top of a bed of rice or pilaff, the toasted garlic butter brushed pitas are served cut in wedges on the side with tzatziki as dip for the pita/veggies/chicken as desired. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    That looks awesome!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I've been wanting to try pork souvlaki... The chicken looks bomb.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Saw this on their Twitter, looks great.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Damn tasty vittles ya got there. :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    very nice work
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer