Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

savory spatchcock ideas

Options
ChillyWillis
ChillyWillis Posts: 893
edited July 2014 in Poultry
I've been having great success with spatchcocked chicken. It is by far the most consistent food I've been able to turn out in my first year egging. I've been sticking to the @nakedwhiz‌ websites way of cooking the bird and the results are fantastic, however SWMBO isn't a fan of skin on the bird (when serving, she doesn't mind skin on while cooking) and also I'm looking to move a bit more towards the roasted chicken flavor profile for varieties sake (as opposed to a simple rub with or without sauce, I've got that down at this point). Any tips, hints, recipes, or other input would be greatly appreciated!

PS tried it a few times on my own and have found that the simple garlic rosemary evoo ect rub I put on it burnt to a crisp at 400-375 raised indirect. I think I'm battling the radiant heat off the dome but I don't get the same amazing juiciness if I dial the temp down to 325ish.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    If you looking for a more "roasted" taste try cooking the bird indirect as opposed to direct. If you do not add any wood and let your lump burn clean it's basically a roasted chicken that you end up with when cooking indirect. Also you can sit the bird on a rack over a pan with a little chicken stock for that more traditional roasted taste. As far as rubs brother that is a matter of individual taste. That being said I'm real fond of Paul Prudohmes poultry seasoning. I also like just salt, pepper and sage as well. I hope this helps my friend. See the enclosed pics for the pan/broth roasting set up.imageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    You can still spatchcock your bird and use the above set up. Works just the same.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thank you SGH and welcome back my friend. I've been going indirect with my spatchcocks. SWMBO and I prefer not having to peel the char off of the bottom of the bird. My problem is that when I do a indirect cook on top of the plate setter with a raised grid I'm burning the spices on the skin to a crisp. Every time I've tried to combat that with a) dropping the bird back to the felt line, or b) dropping the temp -50 I haven't got the same amazing juiciness that I get with the Naked Whiz tried and true recipe.

I'm pretty sure the issue is the radiant heat is over cooking my garlic and fresh ingredients too quickly, just not sure how to fight it. I was worried about adding broth/water after drying out the skin for 24/48 hours in the fridge because it seemed counteractive to achieving perfect skin, but a drip pan with a bit of stock is certainly worth a shot.
  • SGH
    Options
    This set up will get you down away from the dome. Notice that a grid is not used for this set up.imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Fascinating! Thank you for your knowledge, it's people like you who make it so easy for us newbies to become eggers for life.

:-bd

I'm guessing some spacers would help to not burn the drippings... That's a mission for tomorrow.
  • SGH
    Options
    It's sitting on the plate setter that you see in the first pic. Understand? If you don't I will try to take better pics my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    And yes that's just a disposable aluminum pan. I love them. They have many uses.

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I do indeed. Thank you for your help! I'm sure I'll have pics coming from this type of cook very soon!!!
  • SGH
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I'm always glad to help my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    One last note. If you are wanting to use the drippings that collect in the pan then use a small spacer to elevate the pan a little above the plate setter to prevent scorching. I myself don't worry about it when cooking chicken. I put the pan on the setter and then add stock and let it cook. But again I'm not concerned with preserving the drippings. Either way it works the very same my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @chillyWillis. Try it in a CI skillet, indirect at 350 about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Gives a nice even cook and retains all the juiciness.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    I decided to try the CI skillet rout for tonight's cook. Also I'm going to try sliding the garlic, herbs, and oil mixture under the skin so the garlic doesn't burn.

The Beginning:

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    Gratuitous upskirt shot >:) :

The spices are a mixture of garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, celery salt, EVOO, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.

After the rub down:

• HDumptyEsq
    Options
    Labia pu ……no, I'd better not

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• JHands
    JHands Posts: 78
    Options
    Lmao ^^^^

I haven't tried spatch yet. I have a bird in the freezer I've been saving for it. I'm worried about a spatched bird fitting on the small grate
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    JHands said:
    Lmao ^^^^ I haven't tried spatch yet. I have a bird in the freezer I've been saving for it. I'm worried about a spatched bird fitting on the small grate
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• HDumptyEsq
    Options
    @ChillyWillis. How'd it turn out? Lip-smacking??
    :P

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    The bird went on at 375 over a bed of potatoes, turnips, carrots, onions, and peppers. Temp spiked a bit but leveled out at 390 for the cook. It came out FANTASTIC!!! Juicy as could be and the flavors were perfect.

• SGH
    Options
    The food looks excellent. Glad it turned out well. Nice pics too! Good job!

Status- Standing by.

• SpartanPride
    SpartanPride Posts: 161
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌ Did you precook the potatoes at all or just quarter them raw and throw them in? They cook ok? Looks great.
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Didn't precook any of the veggies at all. The total cook time was around 50 min at 390 and they came out just a few minutes shy of perfect. I tossed the skillet on the stove and finished cooking them in the chicken drippings while I carved the bird.
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    @ChillyWillis. Looks loverly in spite of my lip jokes. Well played.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    Options

@ChillyWillis. Looks loverly in spite of my lip jokes. Well played.

Your lip smacking jokes were my inspiration!
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    :P

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    Options
    JHands said:

Lmao ^^^^

I haven't tried spatch yet. I have a bird in the freezer I've been saving for it. I'm worried about a spatched bird fitting on the small grate

I'm guessing that a CI skillet wouldn't fit in a small..... but if you have a CI surface without a handle or a simple drip pan to lay on the plate setter in order to expand the indirect cooking area it should be easy.

Or you could just do it direct at 375-400 with a rub and enjoy the deliciousness that will ensue. The good thing about spatchcocking a bird is that the legs can be easily maneuvered in all sorts of ways without hurting the cook. Once the backbone is out the legs/thighs are only held to the body by skin and sinew, just twist em to fit!
  • ChillyWillis
    edited July 2014
    Options
    You could actually flip the legs so they're skin side down (first) and protect the thin end of the breast, then flip and twist the legs to finish the cook at the right temp. (Just thinking on the fly here) :-?
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Very nice looking cook..Great post and pics..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....