Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Cook

Options
TexasBelliott
TexasBelliott Posts: 30
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
Howdy Egghead Nation!

After 3+ years of waiting, I finally took delivery of my BGE on Sat. Yesterday was my first cook, and I'm so pleased with the results (as was my wife). "Griller" my best bud in real life has been egging for a while now, and has even posted some of his cooks which I was one of the lucky consumers of. His guidance and direction have been a great help, and encouragement for me and I'm so excited to put all the wisdom to use.

I decided to do something simple for the first cook, which amounted to reverse-searing (I think I got that right) a couple of Nolan Ryan NY strip steaks from the local Kroger. I figured if I ruined them, it wouldn't be too much of a loss.

I took the steaks out of the fridge and let them sit out for about 30 minutes with a light coat of EVOO and some John Henry Mojave Garlic sprinkled on both sides.

I lit the grill for the first time, and let it reach about 350 for 30-40 minutes before taming the temp to 275. I put on the steaks and the asparagus, and let them go until the temp. reached 115 (thanks Termapen!) I then pulled everything out and opened'er up to about 725. Let me just say, the BGE gets hot.... FAST. 

I threw the steaks and the stalks back on the grill for 45 seconds each side, then plated the whole thing up. (pictures below)

We were both really pleased with the results. After gas grilling for the last 10 years, I forgot about the flavor I was missing.

I hope to something a little more challenging next. Griller suggests a couple of beer can chickens. Seems like that might be kinda fun. :-)

New Egger, signing out for now.
bE

Prep Work

First Light

Medium Rare Yum!
LBGE, MM, KABs

Fort Worth, TX

If it's worth doing, do it low and slow.

Comments