Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first few cooks

Options
Hi All, Been scouring this site in anticipation of my first cooks so thanks. Just got an XL last Wednesday after lusting after one for a few years. Managed to build it by 10:30pm and smoke some salmon and trout on a plank which I ate after midnight, wonderful. Next night spatchcocked a chicken, used Jamaican jerk rub. Missed the acceleration of temp at the end so was over cooked by 10 degrees but still lovely and moist. Saturday I tried to reverse sear some ribeye, again lovely but I was over cautious and did sear enough, insides where perfect though. Finally on Sunday went for a big rib of beef. Tried a reverse sear again but also cooked some salmon and chicken towards the end before the sear. Pulled everything and then turned the temp up. Reached max on scale and so put beef back in, minute later turned. Now the lesson! I forgot to burp at the end and on opening lost most the hair on my arm and burnt my fingers. It was actually quite impressive for my guests. Recovered quickly and had some mouth watering beef. Main points: The Thermopen is brilliant and why I never bought one ages ago is beyond me. Makes cooking a repeatable science. Egg temperature control needs practise but isn't that critical within bounds and using above. Practise will make perfect. Must always remember to burp! Egg is living up to my expectations.

Comments