Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: first trip to COSTCO tonight - any favorites ??

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
I have never been to COSTCO before but going to join tonight and pick up some stuff.  I have heard decent things from you all on the forum . . . so is there any FAVORITES ( meats / sauces / prepared sides / etc ) that I should scoop on my first visit?  

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    BB ribs, and pork t-loin....
    GWN
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    The Kirkland brand paper towels are the best we've ever used. Also, have a look at the Kirkland labeled pain relieve products (i.e., ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.); same as the name brands and much less expensive.

+1 with @nanook on the pork t-loin. We also buy chicken breasts and wings at ours.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Head for the meat section and see if the store is carrying packer prime briskets.  If so (price now around $4.15/lb) find the floppiest one(s) and stock up.  Beef prices continue to climb with no end-point in sight. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I like their 2-Pack chickens for $10.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Kirkland Signature Steak seasoning.
    Telicherry Pepper Grinder (if you need black pepper)
    Frozen Shrimp (extra jumbo is my preference). 
    Gold Coast seafood salads (Blue Crab, Lobster). 
    Tri-Tip

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Keep in mind, not all Costco's stock the same merchandise and, even the same store will often not have things that you're used to seeing there (probably with the exception of their Kirkland label products).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Also check out the large roll of aluminum foil, Kirkland brand.  it is awesome. I also agree on their meat, the best I have found and a great price.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Their meat department, in general is very good. They normally have a good selection but as mentioned, you have to watch prices. Their lamb products are Australian and terrific. Their rotisserie chickens are big and half the price of facing supermarkets for smaller birds. I buy 'em if I'm on the run and want something quick and easy and they make great chicken salad, stock etc.
    Costco's prepared shrimp salad is worth spreading all over your body. If you're having a party or looking for appies, they save a lot of time and you can do a lot with them.
    I could go on but you'll find out. I've never got out of there for less than $200.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Keep in mind, not all Costco's stock the same merchandise and, even the same store will often not have things that you're used to seeing there (probably with the exception of their Kirkland label products).

This. All Costco's stock 70% of the same items. Around 20-25% is seasonal/1-time deals and 5-10% is region-specific/local.

I worked there for 5 years so let me know if you have any questions.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    The 100% Blue Agave tequila is great. Kirkland brand. Great price too.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    SWMBO has banned me from entering Costco but any time she visits I have her pick up Tri-Tip since it can't be found anywhere else around my neck of the woods.  Have fun and enjoy!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options

2nd on the Prime Packer Briskets!

I also really like the rack of pork they have. 

Great prices on milk, too!

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Look for prime beef (steaks, packers). I usually get seafood there (lobster tails, scallops, halibut, salmon), lamb (rack and boneless leg).

Also look for imported bufala mozzarella - about 4-5 balls of it packed in water.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Deluxe mixed nuts w/macadamias & brazils, Havarti slices, Palmetto pimento cheese. Any Kirkland branded otc meds. Kirkland French Vodka made in an old Grey Goose unit. 
  • NDG
    Options
    GREAT - this is exactly what I was looking for -  got a nice list going now.
    I appreciate the help! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Echo what others have said about the meat, and about the variability from store to store. We always get their large boneless pork loin, great to break down yourself into roasts as large as you'd like and chops as thick as you'd like, great deal too, we usually get 6-8 dinner portions with leftovers on 3-4 of those for lunches, all for under $20. Freezer ready packs of bone in, skin on chicken thighs.

There is a mango peach salsa that is really good. The Kirkland brand organic diced tomatoes are a pantry staple here. Their prices on large bags of farro and rice are hard to beat.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Somebody posted the other day about the rotisserie chickens. We always buy at least two, one to eat and one to debone for future use. Best $5.00 chicken you can buy IMHO
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    $23.99 for a case of Stella is tops on the list.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Its gonna be an expensive trip. I may be weird but I go there like once a month on lunch and just walk the aisles. They get cool new toys in all the time. I spent $10k there last year and have no kids. Check out their prime meat selection it varies from store to store.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    The price of the bulk Male Depends are a steal..Worth taking a look at... 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    The price of the bulk Male Depends are a steal..Worth taking a look at... 

+ 1 on the male depends.... =)) =))
    GWN
  • thunderdome
    Options
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Kirkland brand Balsamic vinegar (tall square bottle) is fantastic and really cheap.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    ...also they have bags of Kirkland brand boneless, skinless frozen chicken breasts that are individually sealed.  good quality, really easy to handle and defrost since each one is sealed.
  • NDG
    Options
    @johnmitchell - thanks for the heads-up and I appreciate the picture you just emailed me.  I can tell from your face impression that they create a strong bond around the waist - thats key.

Columbus, OH

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    You have to get some mateos salsa- it's in the canned goods aisle. By far the best salsa in the place.
    Greensboro, NC
  • NDG
    Options
    will do - thanks @wolfpack
    Columbus, OH

• TomRaz
    TomRaz Posts: 22
    Options
    We like the Costco paper towels and toilet paper. I bought some really good baby back ribs there 3 to a pack and they were awesome smoked on the egg
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Pics or this never happened!
    Options
    If you are into the 5 hour energy's get the Kirkland brand, dirt cheap.  If you have baby's the Kirkland wipes are a steal.  Paper plates, paper towels, TP are all worthy.  Most sell Mexican Coke in the bottles if you are a soft drink crackhead like myself.  

The meats - always, check the meats.  I always look for wild caught salmon as it randomly appears and is an incredible deal and freaking awesome.  Steaks, chicken, ribs really anything is worthy there.  Also, I generally find that they carry really good Bufala Mozzarella at a price that is ridiculous compared to grocer/cheese shop.  I always get the Comte cheese they sell too.  

Batteries are a worthy purchase there if you find you use them a lot.  I like their chicken salad too.  Spices, tobasco, canned tuna are my last ramblings.  You won't leave under $150-$200 each time.  
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA