Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib on the small...The Cook!

Options
Hoov
Hoov Posts: 264
I posted a few days ago wondering if I could cook a prime rib on the small egg and feed 12 people. I just wanted to follow up and say thanks for all the feedback in my previous thread and post a few pictures of the cook! My father-in-law had a great 60th birthday with all of his children/grandchildren and the small egg was amazing!

I bought a 19 lb boneless rib roast at sam's club. Here it is with the small...

Cut about 7 lbs of hard fat off of it...

After cutting off half for another day, I'm estimating that I had about 6-7 lb of meat.

All ready to go...

The small looked great on the patio of the cabin we stayed at...

Roast was seasoned with salt, pepper, and fresh garlic. Here it is on the small at 250 degrees with Jack Daniels oak for smoke...

1.5 hours in...

Pulled at 125 to prepare for the sear. Opened the vents up and seared at 550ish for a nice crust...

Then made a topping with onions, mushrooms, whiskey, and beef stock (inspired by a beef tenderloin medallions blog entry by @NibbleMeThis‌)...

Sliced and ready to serve. It was a bit more done than I expected. Medium in the middle and medium well towards the ends, but the crowd was very pleased and it received many compliments...

And here it is plated with some other goodies that were cooked by my brother-in-law on the gas grill...

Again, thanks for all the suggestions from my previous thread and I hope you guys enjoyed the walk through. Hope the crappy iPhone photos aren't all sideways like they look right now (first post from my phone).

Thanks!

- Proud owner of a Large BGE
- Norman, OK

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    That looks awesome, congrats on a great cook.  I really like your transport table/setup for the small - now if I only had a pickup!!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!
    =D>
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Nice job! Im always amazed at what can be cooked on the smalls.
    Plus, it would appear that it travels well too.
    :-O
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Hoov
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments on the cook and table. I'm not much of a wood worker but I wanted to build something with handles for travel. The small is still quite heavy, but my wife and I can move it alright with the table.
    - Norman, OK
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Looks like a nice meal. Glad that all worked out for you!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Looks good!

I'm confused how you got from the first picture to the image of the roast on the grill.  Obviously in the first picture the cut dwarfs your SBGE.   You cut a lot of fat off but did you then roll and tie it?

Thanks for sharing.  Now I'm hungry...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Looks great! Nicely done!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Nice move, @Hoov

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Need to try this one of these days
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Hoov
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌

Based on comments I got on my original thread, I estimated that I would need about 0.5 lb uncooked meat per person (12 people). So, I started with 19 lbs, trimmed 7ish lbs of fat, then cut the remaining roast into two halves, which were each about 6 or 7 lbs.
    - Norman, OK
  • Hoov
    Options
    Oh, and I did tie the roast to make it a bit more circular.
    - Norman, OK
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    =P~  That looks great.  Thanks for the post (and pics).

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Looks more medium than the R to MR I prefer. I fun Eggsperience all the same! 

New Albany, Ohio