Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I think Im done with foiling ribs

Options
mslaw
mslaw Posts: 241
Did ribeye fri night with Mickeys rub, excellent, did wings on egg Sat night, perfect. Dis st Louis ribs on egg Sunday 3,1,1. Cooked to mush. I keep trying to use foil correctly but just cant get it right. Im gonna return to the tried and true method of just letting them cook until done. No foil except to keep warm after they're done

Comments

• davejames0426
    Options
    mslaw said:
    Did ribeye fri night with Mickeys rub, excellent, did wings on egg Sat night, perfect. Dis st Louis ribs on egg Sunday 3,1,1. Cooked to mush. I keep trying to use foil correctly but just cant get it right. Im gonna return to the tried and true method of just letting them cook until done. No foil except to keep warm after they're done

I agree.......
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Yes, I also agree.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Try 1-1-.5. Cooked 5 racks this weekend and were the best I've egged. Around 300 dome, wrap when the bones start to show, unwrap when they're ready, sauce and back on. I let them go till they are sticky because that's what they like. I really don't time them..just go by looking.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    henapple said:
    Try 1-1-.5. Cooked 5 racks this weekend and were the best I've egged. Around 300 dome, wrap when the bones start to show, unwrap when they're ready, sauce and back on. I let them go till they are sticky because that's what they like. I really don't time them..just go by looking.
    So, is that the end of the .99 ribs?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Yep...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I don't wrap the ribs and have great results.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I wrap them and have never had an issue with mushy. Always perfect tender bite off the bone ribs. Went to a fourth of July party in our new hood and like half the people there had kamados and I heard multiple times about how good the ribs were. One guy walked up and asked the group I was talking to if we had tried the ribs and had no clue I made them. You can foil for a shorter period of time like 30-40 minutes if you want less tender ribs. There's a fine line for sure where they were foiled too long where all the meat will pull so its best to error on the side of shorter foiling.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I found I was too lazy to bother with foiling :) Ribs still turn out great without all that fuss.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    caliking said:
    I found I was too lazy to bother with foiling :) Ribs still turn out great without all that fuss.
    ++++++++++2
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    No foil=Winner!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
    Thank you all got the input. Even mushy, the taste was eggcellant
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Glad they tasted good my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I experimented many times and with several variations of foiling ribs, but eventually decided that I liked the chew of the ribs that were unfoiled and returned to that procedure.  Requires less work as well.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)