Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Awesome beef jerky

Options
bdsdnfam
bdsdnfam Posts: 22

Getting ready for a Houseboat vacation in a couple weeks so I made two batches of beef jerky on my XL.  Bought 8lbs. of bottom round from our local Sam's club and trimmed the fat cap off.  Then sliced it about 1/8".  Marinated two batches overnight.  One in Backwoods Cajun and one in Traditional Jerky. Set up a medium size pile of lump in the center of the XL (to help keep control the heat) and set the BBQ Guru for 170.  Five hours later (each 4lb. batch) I had 2lbs of awesome jerky!  Here's a pic of my setup.

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Nice, been a while since I've done jerky as I can't pay $4.99 lb for round to have reduced down to 1/2 for jerky. Holding out for a deal.
    Seattle, WA
  • bdsdnfam
    Options

Yea it's a little pricey to say the least.  I might try pork next round.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That's it, my next batch of jerky is going to be smoked on the egg instead of dried in the dehydrator. Speaking of which, I'll bet I have a candidate cut in the freezer right now. Will go looking later.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Looks good.  How was hanging all that meat?  I did the toothpick thing the very first time I did jerky and found it to be a huge pain.  Went with this setup as an alternative and been doing it like this ever since.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    DMW said:
    That's it, my next batch of jerky is going to be smoked on the egg instead of dried in the dehydrator. Speaking of which, I'll bet I have a candidate cut in the freezer right now. Will go looking later.
    I use both ... start first couple of hours in the egg, filling up every level of the AR ... after dripping off the mess and picking up smoke I transfer them to the dehydrator and finish in indoor comfort.
    canuckland
  • bdsdnfam
    Options
    Looks good.  How was hanging all that meat?  I did the toothpick thing the very first time I did jerky and found it to be a huge pain.  Went with this setup as an alternative and been doing it like this ever since.

It's not too bad to hang it with the toothpicks.  You have to get a system put together.  Fire up the egg and while it's getting up to temp take the meat out of the marinade, press it dry between sheets of paper towels, hang it up on the rack, put it on the egg.  I can see why jerky is expensive.  Companies know what kind of PITA it is to make LOL!

• Canugghead
    Options
    @bdsdnfam if I may say so, I wouldn't press or blot it dry, let the marinade carmelise for extra flavour and weight ;))
    canuckland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @bdsdnfam‌
    Man that's some fine looking jerky you got there. Nice job. Way to use the egg to its fullest potential. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I just got a bottom round roast out of the freezer.

I hate to highjack this thread, but I figured jerky experts might peek. 

I don't have any commercial jerky cures/seasoning mixes on hand, does anyone have a killer recipe? I have pink curing salt, and anything else I might not have on hand can be obtained easily.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I'm watching and hoping myself. I'll hijack with you.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I've used Alton Brown's recipe several times and the wife likes it.  He dries on a box fan and uses liquid smoke.  I leave the smoke out of the recipe and use the amazing smoker and a couple of briquets in an old Weber.  I like the way the steel shell dissipates the heat and stays cooler than the Egg would.  I did it once in the XL and it got too warm by my notion, but I didn't have a controller back then.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Canugghead
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @DMW google on 'river city jerky recipe', it's quite good IMO, you don't need special ingredients, no even pink salt.

I'm long overdue for another run ...
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @bettysnephew I use a large coffee can of leftover lumps for minimum voc and heat.  No problem with running out of lump since I transfer to dehydrator to finish.
    canuckland
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Egg and dehydrator method here also . works perfect.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mawger
    Mawger Posts: 40
    Options

At what point do you remove from the Egg and put it in the dehydrator? 

Ready to attempt our first batch!