Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt Question

Options
Finally going to do my first Turbo Butt today.  I've searched and read dozens of threads on this topic, and there are so many differing opinions in all of these threads, that I'm a little lost on what the general consensus is.  

I have a 6# Butt.  I'm going to cook at 350.  My two questions are:

1)  Cook straight through to 200 IT, or wrap in foil at 160?

2)  FTC at end of cook or no?

Like I said, i know there are lots of different opinions on this….just wondering what the general consensus is?

Thanks so much to anyone that takes the time to respond!  Appreciate it.
Ewing, NJ

Comments

• onelikearock
    onelikearock Posts: 115
    Options
    I like a bark so I do not wrap in foil
    Chesapeake, VA
  • SidZer0
    SidZer0 Posts: 45
    Options
    I guess you can call my method the Semi-Turbo method but it consistently turns out great butts with tasty bark that pull like butter.

280° - 290° indirect and no foil till you hit 203° internally and your done.  Usually take 7 - 7.5 hrs, I did 2x 5lb. boneless butts this weekend and it took 7.5 hrs.  FTC was not needed as well.

Don't know your time constraints but if 7.5 hrs isn't too long for you give it a try.
    Jax, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    350, indirect, no foil. Remove from egg at 200-202 internal and then pull when cool enough to do so. Only need to ever foil after removal is if it was done too early. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I've only done a couple of turbo butts, but I didn't foil, cooked til int temp was 203*. I did FTC, but only because it was done an hour earlier than I thought it would be.
    GWN
  • Normy
    Normy Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!  It seems like foil isn't necessary.

Out of curiosity, why do people foil at 160?
    Ewing, NJ
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    General consensus?? Not likely to find that here. Pick a method (or some combination) and go with it. It's not really as complicated as it might seem so have some fun and make sure you update us (with pics of course) on your results.

BTW, welcome to the lifestyle
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Texan….yeah, i kinda realized after i posted the question that it may be a dumb question…if there was a general consensus I probably wouldn't have read so many different opinions in my thread searching….haha.

I guess I'll just go no foil and see what happens.  If for some reason it's not as tender/moist as I like, i'll try foil next time.  I'll take pics and try to figure out how to upload them.

My only real goal for today is to not be too drunk before it's done cooking.
    Ewing, NJ
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Just to be clear, your questions were not dumb; just the opposite in fact. Just be prepared to hear more opinions then you may think are possible. Then, go with what makes the most sense to you.

The great thing about doing a butt is that it's pretty hard to screw one up. So, whether you foil or not or FTC or not you're probably going to end up with something that's pretty damn good!

I do not foil (butts or anything else) but I believe that those that do, do it to speed through the stall on a low and slow cook or, by adding liquid inside the foil to create a more tender end result.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    no, i didn't take it that, Texan.

rubbed up and ready to go.

Ewing, NJ
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Welcome aboard and @TOTN captured the general flavor of the forum.  Jump in and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Id say if some are foiling at 160 its because they are trying to get through the stall faster. Generally thats when you hit the stall  I prefer a good bark so i dont foil. i did a butt L&S yesterday 13.5 hrs on a 7lber but it didnt stall till 195 and started falling took 3-4  hours to go from 194-195 to 203

Went fat cap down for the first time and i will be doing this from now on. The bark it produced was incredible never got that with fat cap up
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Normy
    Normy Posts: 26
    Options
    I wasn't quite sure what to do, so I went fat cap down. Put it on Egg at 1:00. We'll see how it goes!
    Ewing, NJ
  • SidZer0
    SidZer0 Posts: 45
    Options
    IMO fat cap down is the way to go.
    Jax, FL