Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions Regarding Egg Base Support W/ Tables

Options
Was debating making my own table until I found a guy on the craig that makes them out of cypress at such a good price I'm going to let him make it instead of doing it myself. I'm having him make a table that holds a small and large. He said he makes them to accommodate pavers for supporting the egg. I've heard you should have airflow below and I've heard people place them on pavers with no issues. I understand there is a table nest for us with the large but not the small. Debating just putting each of them on pavers from the depot. I figure if airflow is crucial, instead of a giant square paver, I can use small rectangular brick pavers and put them in a triangular fashion. I believe that may open the wood underneath to charring though. Thoughts?

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Maybe supply him with some green feet or if you can't find them, get some from Home Depot for clay pots. That way he can figure them into his dimensions.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Like theseimage
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JHands
    JHands Posts: 78
    Options
    Do those support the weight of the eggs?
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    I also have a cypress table. I was worried that the terra cotta feet weren't quite high enough, so I used those and Egg feet. It came out pretty cool looking AND I can still still see the pretty cypress wood below (it seemed a shame to cover it up). 
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Its about reducing the risk of fire - not eliminating it. Pavers reduce the risk, air gaps reduce the risk, and pavers combined with an air gap reduce it even more. I decided to use fire brick and an air gap. The table I have has been used for a number of years with only the green ceramic feet and there is no sign of heat damage to the wood. However, I do not think that the previous owner pushed the egg to high temps.

One of the issues is knowing how much the risk is reduced by any of the options commonly used. Which is better - air gap or brick? I used fire brick instead of a paver. I know that the fire brick provides more protection, but how much more?  Enough for the extra cost?  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JHands
    JHands Posts: 78
    Options
    My egg didn't come with feet and I don't believe my buddy's large he's selling me has them either
  • TomRaz
    TomRaz Posts: 22
    Options
    My large bge did not come with legs at all since I purchased it with a table at the same time. I went to home depot and purchased a patio stone or what might be called a stepping stone and put it under my egg and it has worked fine for 5 years now.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I purchased my Egg and table at the same time from my dealer. Everything was assembled when I got it. Mine has two concrete blocks under it. It isn't the prettiest set up, but it works. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's