Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's cooking for the Holidays

Options
Btown Egger
Btown Egger Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking a 14 pound rib roast for Christmas. Doing a trial run this weekend since I haven't egged a prime rib yet.[p]Christmas Eve will be a Polish feast. My wife and I made about 400 pierogies over the past few months for Christmas Eve to go with kielbasa, ham, borscht, and kapusta.[p]Happy Holidays to all Eggers,[p]Mike and Sue

Comments

• Essex County
    Options
    Btown Egger,
    I've never done a rib roast but it sounds great.[p]Got about 30 people coming over tomorrow. Herb crusted beef tenderloins, cinnamon chicken thighs, roasted winter veggies, caviar new potatoes, sausage-leek toast cups, BBQ meatballs and, of course, ABTs.[p]Paul

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Btown Egger,
    I am cooking my first Turducken. I have started my preperation already, because I am working right up to 9.30 p.m. on Christmas eve.
    I have my duck and my chicken already boned out and in the freezer. I will make my stuffings tomorrow morning before work, and freeze them also.
    My brother-in-law is providing a home reared turkey, so I must find time between Thursday evening when he arrives, and Mid night Saturday when he wil go on the EGG, to de-bone him, and put the whole concoction together.
    I hope the turducken takes at least 12/13 hours to cook, as I do not intent feeding the masses until 2.00 p.m. and I do not want him to start drying out or getting over cooked.
    Best wishes to everybody for the holiday season, from Ireland.
    Roger[p]

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Btown Egger,
    mmmmmm pierogies.....can I come over :?)
    We will be doing the classic pulled pork. I suggested rib roast as it was a dandy last time I did one but the wife wants PP so thats whats on the agenda. I hope I can find some of our little green friends to keep the small occupied. Last batch I made some without the bacon. The peppers got really charred and were almost as good as the bacon wrapped ones.

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Btown Egger,[p]Lawn Rangers pork tenderloins and smoked salmon for Mary's family X-mas tomorrow and my first batch of jerky for 2005 on Sunday. Really lookin forward to that. Been in the marinade for three days and just drained and tossed it in the freezer till Sunday.[p]Yummy.[p]Go Bears.

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Essex County,[p]How about 31 people? :>)[p]What a great menu.[p]Mick

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    09cf3469.jpg
    <p />Btown Egger,[p]We almost always to a "Feliz Navidad" thing with Mexican goodies. I'll do a butt on Friday as a filling for my tamales. Carne adovada will be done in an open dutch oven on the LGE, and most likely some cheese, onion and crab enchaladas on the SGE. [p]d02b78ed.jpg[p]Of course, I'll have a pot of pintos and use some for a batch of fishlessman's rellenos. Not sure what else.[p]Happy Holidays
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Essex County
    Options
    MickeyT,
    Thanks! Dunno how close you are to Midway but there are cheap flights into Manchester, NH!!! Starts at 4.[p]Paul[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Btown Egger,
    beans or a chowder for xmas at my brothers house, but the first day of the fishing season ,jan 1, will be WDAN's lechon asado on the ice if weather permits

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    MickeyT,
    i'm close...
    we could make it 32,33,34, and 35

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Now that's a plan. I've been shut down with auger problems, a new one should be shipping today and I should be on hard water by next weekend! On several lakes, we can run six lines per fisherman, it can keep a guy busy.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    Options
    thirdeye,
    keep an eye for that book next week, i just got it out and its in ups hands. last week i saw a power head for sale for 15 bucks. already had one but this one starded right up. no need to truck one backand forth between camps. just need to get the auger screw. need to check the maine laws to see if they allow 12 inch holes. i seen some pics last year of 20 pound plus lakers up there

fukahwee maine

• thirdeye
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]A 12" hole ??? Sheesh...you better not take any small children along.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    Options
    thirdeye,
    ive been nervous a few time with the 10 inch. gotta think big. i did almost lose the brittany last year, he dove in after a perch. i had to reach in blind and found a rear leg kicking under the ice. hes fattened up a bit this year and shouldnt fit thru the hole anymore, i hope.

fukahwee maine

• thirdeye
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]There is an up side to everything, I'll bet the flasher transducer doesen't get in the way very often![p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Btown Egger,[p]Fondue - beef and chicken - for the 25th, along with a spinach salad and homemade bread of some kind. Dessert will be cookies and leftover desserts from the 24th.[p]Probably soup for the 24th, not sure on that yet. We always have gingerbread and a peppermint dessert on the 24th.[p]My son is having a party on the 22nd and I am thinking about making chicken adobo with rice for that one.[p]Not much is planned for the bge. I am having a problem with not being able to see out there. There is no light where the egg is and it gets dark here starting at 4:30. By 5 it's pitchblack. Even with a flashlight, it's hard to see. We have to improve the egg location and setup. [p]I will probably do ribs one day but will do those early in the day and have them finished before it gets dark.[p]Gwen
  • guavawood
    Options
    Btown Egger,[p]Would you want to share the pirogi recipe and do you have a potato pancake recipe too? (platki?) You got me wanting some good Polish food...I feel like dancing a Polka! ; ) ; ) ; )[p]Aloha and than you in advance,[p]Greg Kemp
  • Btown Egger
    Options
    guava wood,[p]Here is our pierogi dough recipe and the recipes for cabbage filling and cheese filling. These recipes were handed down from my mother who used to make pierogies with her mom who came from Poland about 100 years ago. We've already tested quite a few dozen and they were bardzo dobze (sp?) (very good for you non-polish folk).[p]The dough must be rolled out pretty thin. It's a pretty time consuming process but they are excellent. My mom was thrilled her pierogies will live on after she is gone.[p]We use an old coffee jar top to cut dough once rolled out. It is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. We normally make the fillings first since that is the most time consuming part and then make dough.[p]GOOD LUCK if you try to make them.[p]
    PIEROGI DOUGH[p]
    2 large eggs beaten until frothy
    5 cups flour
    3/4 cups water
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons margarine[p]Combine flour and salt, set aside. Melt margarine; add water, mixed with milk. Add beaten eggs, warm all. Add all to flour mixture. Combine into ball; knead until smooth and satiny.[p]Cover dough with bowl and let rest at least 1 hour. Cut dough into smaller pieces and roll out. Keep remaining dough covered.[p]
    CABBAGE PIEROGI FILLING[p]1 Cabbage
    1 Stick Butter
    1 Medium Onion
    Salt & Pepper to taste[p]For each head of cabbage you use 1 stick of butter and 1 medium onion then salt and pepper to taste. (you can adjust the amount of onions.)[p]
    Cut Cabbage leaving the stem intact with each piece. This helps to hold the cabbage together.[p]Boil Cabbage for approximately 5 minutes. When done, drain and let cool. Squeeze each piece with hand to help eliminate excess water. Grind cabbage up and then squeeze through cloth to drain more of the water.[p]Fry Onion with melted butter until onion is translucent. [p]Add Cabbage to Onion and Butter mixture. Salt and pepper to taste. Keep stove on low stirring often. DO NOT COVER POT![p]
    CHEESE PIEROGI FILLING[p]1 Package Friendship Farmers Cheese Approx. 3 lbs.[p]1 Package Andrulis Farmers Cheese Approx. ¾ lb.[p]1 Egg Beaten very well (until frothy)[p]3 Tbsp. Flour[p]Break up the two cheeses real fine. Use a food processor if you prefer.[p]Add beaten Egg between the two layers of cheese. Sprinkle flour on top of all cheese. Mix very well with a spoon.[p]

• guavawood
    Options
    Btown Egger,[p]So now what do I do? I got the dough standing by and the ingredients but you left me hanging![p]thanks,[p]Greg
  • Btown Egger
    Options
    guava wood,[p]Sorry I just posted recipes but didn't realize you needed more input.[p]Once dough is complete cut into about 3/12 inch diameter circles. Place about several tablespoons of filling on dough and then pull dough over filling and seal edges of dough with fork.[p]After sealed put pierogies in boiling water for about 10 minutes until they float to the surface. We add butter after they are removed from water and they are ready to be eaten. We cooked all of ours in advance, set them on cookie sheet to freeze them and then placed them in foodsaver bags to be reheated at later date in boiling water.
  • guavawood
    Options
    Btown Egger,[p]Thanks![p]can't wait to try them. I appreciate you giving me the recipe.[p]Aloha,[p]Greg
  • Btown Egger
    Options
    guava wood,[p]Let me know how they came out. Have you ever made these before? I would imagine pierogies are hard to come by in Hawaii.[p]Mike
  • Btown Egger
    Options
    Here is a pic of my wife and daughter making pierogies last year that might help show thickness and size of dough before they are filled.[p]BrozekChristmas2004001.jpg