Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey's Coffee Rub..what am I missing?

Options
Hey, guys..did Sirloin steaks from Kroger tonight (I know..but they were on a great sale - 4.99 / lb vs normal 9.99) with my first batch of Mickey's legendary coffee rub..

I was pretty excited..got the Ancho Chile powder in from Penzy's.  Used nothing but the "best" spices..mixed it all up.. rubbed a healthy amount on both sides of both steaks..

Annnnnd....

Meh.

So, I figured..I GOTTA have done something wrong.

I mix up a lot of rubs (including from Dr. BBQ's "Slow Fire" book many of which are awesome) and just am not getting it.

I REALLY wanted to be blown away by this rub but think (gasp) my Dizzy Pig Raging River, Dizzy Dust and Dr. BBQ Slow Fire book rubs - and even, unbelievably enough - Montreal Steak Seasoning are far better.

Did I just jump through a time space vortex or something?

Something ain't right.  There was next to no flavor..it really tasted like I put a light "something" that had next to no taste onto the steaks..

What am I missing here?

See below for the requisite / requested proof that I actually DID cook these on my Mini BGE...

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I'd say give it another try. Everyone has their favorites, and people are bound to rave about stuff they like.  I like Mickey's - it's a good, all purpose rub. It's not my favorite for ribs. Maybe Mickey's isn't for you.

You don't need to apologize or search for explanations if you don't like something.
    Some of us have certain charcoal likes that others cant understand...hmmmm...??

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Yeah..I hear ya.  But it's like it had ZERO flavor.  Clearly I did something wrong?
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I haven't been blown away by it either. But I like more kick. It does still find its way into my rotation though.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    We all have different tastes that we like.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SmokyBear
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Funny..I almost took some of it over to a neighbor who brought me a new rub earlier and wanted some of my Dizzy Pig Raging River to try on Salmon tonite..sure glad I didn't set expectations with him on it..the way I read about this rub I thought it'd be MIND-BLOWING, OMG STOP THE EARTH!! good..

Still wondering if I just made it wrong cuz you guys seem to really LURV it.

I WAS really excited to finally have all the ingredients to make it, so kinda was anti-climatic..

Now I DO love me some Dizzy Pig Raging River on chick and salmon.  Gotta try the "raising the steaks" next to see if it's any better than Montreal.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Try it on skinless chicken. That's my trial meat for new rubs as it is as close to a blank slate as I have found.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokyBear
    edited July 2014
    Options
    PS: I probably have violated 1,286,127 forum rules with this post (including "thou shalt not question the holy rub of Antioch") :) but just keeping it real..and trying to figure out what I did wrong..
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have only tried it on a shoulder but I agree it didnt add much flavor. Probably not fair for me to compare though since it was a low and slow.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    SmokyBear said:

PS: I probably have violated 1,286,127 forum rules with this post (including "thou shalt not question the holy rub of Antioch") :) but just keeping it real..and trying to figure out what I did wrong..

Truthful opinions are always welcome. :-bd
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SmokeyBear‌ please list the ingredients you used to make the Mickey's and it would then be easier to determine if you were "missing" something or if it simply was just not a rub that blew up your skirt. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Could someone explain exactly what is Mickey's coffee rub?
    I'm assuming that it's made with ground coffee or used coffee grounds...right?
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SmokeyBear‌ and FWIW steaks in my Casa get simple ingredients: Kosher Salt & Coarse Black Pepper or APL Board Sauce. I like Mickey's on a lot of proteins but, not normally on steak or blackened fish.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    TigerTony said:

This thread has recipe courtesy of @henapple‌

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157211/coffee-rub/p1
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    TigerTony said:

As copied from my "notes" which I believe was copied from this forum:

Mickey's Coffee Rub
    INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup ancho-chili powder
    1/2 cup expresso ground (very fine) Coffee. (Has red,yellow&green label)
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    1/4 cup ground black pepper
    Procedure:
    1 Mix all and keep in an air tight container.
  • SmokyBear
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Made the following recipe * 1/2:

1/4 c Salt
    1/2 c Brown Sugar (light, not dark)
    1/2 c Ancho Chile powder (Penzy's)
    1/2 c finely ground espresso beans (home roasted)
    1/4 c garlic powder
    1/4 c ground black pepper (started grinding by hand..was going to take forever so cheated and used Costco pre-ground)

Maybe that's not the "official" recipe?

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌ great minds think alike eh? ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Options

Hey and they match. Guess I did have it right
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    The only ingredient I have altered is the brown sugar. I use the same measurement but, w/ Sugar In The Raw. Which like Mickey and I discussed was in the original recipe. FWIW
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thanks > @NPHuskerFL > @Jeremiah >  @SmokyBear

I appreciate I'll give it a try one day.
    I don't have any fine espresso I'll have to buy some.  Only corse coffee and chicory in this house (CDM or Union)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SmokeyBear‌ nope u have it correct Sir. Try it on something else and see what you think. It's not for everybody I guess.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @TigerTony‌ oops. I also don't use the same espresso. I use Starbucks fresh ground espresso roast. You can use any espresso so long as it is finely ground (not coarse like coffee).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I'll be honest, I've never believed that any spice rub could really survive a properly- seared steak.  

We all know that herbs burn up before any grilled food is cooked, but how can ground spice(s) survive any longer?  We're trying to cook a wet, fatty piece of meat over high heat and expect the powdered, dry spice on the surface to survive the process??  

This is something I've been thinking about for awhile, and I'm trying to figure out a Cook's Illustrated-style experiment to prove/disprove my idea.  Stay tuned.  
    :-B

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Botch‌ totally agree! Thus APL
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The recipe calls for kosher salt, and instant espresso.

Aside from that, I like it as a good "universal" rub. Best rub I ever tasted? No, but it's pretty balanced and easy to tweak to taste. I added in about a tablespoon or more of cayenne, because I wanted it to have more kick.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I like it on poultry, but prefer to use more assertive rubs on pork and beef.  It seems a bit light on the red meats and the other white meat to me but just right on the birds.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Good eye @caliking‌
    Yep I use a heavy grain kosher salt myself. For that matter I use kosher on most things that call for salt unless it specifically calls for a fine ground salt.
    Edit: I also once added just a lil bit of smoked Chipotle. That was a nice heat with deep flavor on a butt and Spatchcock.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Very similar to @caliking, I added a tablespoon of chile de arbol to increase the heat level. Blessed to have spanish stores in our neighborhood, so very easy to find these spices.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    In this case it was mere coincidence……. :))

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq‌ probably so. Probably so. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    Yeah..gotta try this on chick.  Maybe it's just not meant for Steak.