Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First CyberQ cook.

Options
Dobie
Dobie Posts: 3,365
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
I got a small butt on about 1030 this morning and my first cook with the CyberQ. Took me a bit to get the CyberQ set up since it was the first time. Also just slapped on the Smokeware cap with the regular BGE gasket in place to see how that would do. So what did I learn? To choke off almost all the top vent (I need to properly gasket the SW cap) because the CyberQ can't do much to lower the temp if air is able to move without its assistance. I adjusted the cap so it was open just a sliver and the temp fell to my setting of 250 but it took about two hours from an overshoot to 300 and that was my fault with the dome open early on playing with the set up. The unit will push air in with little top vent. Once stabilized the system is very good at controlling the temp. Checking via my iPad and making any adjustments just rocks and will be handy on overnights. Also the grid temp is 250 and the dome ( and is calibrated) shows 290, so pretty significant difference. Current state of affairs below.
Jacksonville FL

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options

Looking good! I really like my CyberQ.

I bet nobody will steal your egg!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Did you put the gasket on the smokeware cap or on the egg? The recommended placement is on the base of the smokeware cap...
  • Dobie
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @hapster the dealer took the cap off an egg they had installed on the sales floor and they installed the gasket on the egg. They gave me a gasket kit for an egg so I could have one. For this first cook I just slapped it on using the existing gasket on the egg and I'm sure the seal is poor resulting in me choking back the cap setting to a sliver. Tomorrow after it cools I will pull the gasket off the egg and apply the new to the cap as you pointed out.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    @RAC the eggs safe for now but they follow the pork butt LOL.
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @hapster‌ I put the Rutland gasket around the chimney and the Smokeware and the ceramic cap fit snug as a bug in a rug. It works for me. Not to mention with the gasket installed to the Smokeware I wouldn't be able to clean it inside and out without damaging said gasket. I know everybody has said to do it the other way but, this has worked excellent for me.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    my gasket was already on the egg so i just left it, i don't see any leakage around the smoke ware. Even with the original top i had to choke it to almost close when using my cyberq and keeping it under 275.
  • Dobie
    Options
    my gasket was already on the egg so i just left it, i don't see any leakage around the smoke ware. Even with the original top i had to choke it to almost close when using my cyberq and keeping it under 275.

My results so far.
    Jacksonville FL