Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Rib Roast Test Run

Btown Egger
Btown Egger Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a test rib roast for dinner this Sunday since I never cooked this on the Egg before and didn't want my first try to be on Christmas.[p]Here is the pre-cooked 7.68 pound rib roast with olive oil and salt and pepper.
RibRoast001.jpg[p][p]I seared the roast for about 10 minutes at 550 to 600 degrees. The butchers twine didn't survive the sear.[p]RibRoast002.jpg[p]Cooked roast for the remainder on Egg at 325 to 350 for about 2 hours and 30 minutes until internal reached 130.[p]RibRoast003.jpg[p]Let roast rest for about 15 minutes under foil and temp. raised to 140[p]RibRoast004.jpg[p]Here is the finished sliced product. Came out excellent. All set for Christmas Day.[p]RibRoast005.jpg[p]

Comments

• Btown Egger,
    Great pics and a how to. Why was the twine on there?[p]Mike

• mule
    mule Posts: 152
    Btown Egger,
    That really looks good!!! Yum!! [p]mule

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Btown Egger,
    Yummy![p]I'm hoping mine comes out that nice on Christmas.

• Car Wash Mike,[p]The roast was boned and tied by the butcher. The rib bones are cut and then retied to the roast. Supposedly leaving the bones on creates added flavor. It also makes for easier cutting once finished since bones can be easily removed before slicing.
  • Btown Egger,[p]Interestimng you cooked it indirect after the sear. I was gonna do mine diurect at 350 degrees allowing the outside get a good crust but yours looks like the inside near the edge was still nice and tender. I think mine may dry up a little at the edge. Hummmm......gotta rethink this. Maybe no sear temp so the twine survives and just direct at 350 the whole way through. Ant suggestions out there????[p]With the twine not surviving did you still cook the bones or you had to take them off and just cook the meat?[p]Howard[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Howard & Btown Egger,[p]No matter the cooking temp, 250° or 350°, Consider an end sear. Here are a few advantages.[p]1. It is easier to ramp an Egg's temperature up than it is to bring it down from the 500°+ searing temperature.[p]2. By not searing first, the natural sugars and protiens are allowed to come to the surface during the cook. An end sear takes full advantage (excellent flavor & color) of those liquids. [p]3. End sears take less time and make a nice crisp crust.[p]4. If you need to delay dinner, or use the Egg for other things, you can pull the roast at your target temp and store in a prewarmed cooler for a couple of hours if needed. Then sear.[p]PS: If you don't use the Egg to sear, it can be done very easily in a 500° oven.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Howard,[p]The bone portion of the roast was not cut all the way through so even though the twine didn't survive the bones still stayed attached to the roast. Also, after the sear I cooked the roast with the ribs down for the remainder so losing the twine didn't have much effect.[p]Not sure of the effectiveness of a sear for this cut of meat. One side of roast consisted of the rib bones which I'm not sure of any benefit to searing this side and the other side of roast contained the fat layer so not sure if sear had any benefit to that side either. I didn't sear the end portions which may have benefited more from a sear. Anyone else have any comments on benefits of searing rib roast taking into account the above?[p]I'm also considering skipping the sear for my Christmas cook. My wife (who likes her meat more well done) thought the end portion was a little overdone. I had the other end which wasn't cooked as much and I thought came out great. Maybe skipping sear would keep ends from getting to done??
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Btown Egger,[p]Bone-in rib roasts were among the first things I tried on the Egg and I was totally unaware of MMBE's sear method at the time. In my ignorance I used temp and time identical to that my spouse has used in the regular oven and produced a superior result (even by her tough standards.) The last one I did had nothing on it except some Dizzy Pig Cowlick - it was great. I'm sure the sear is a good thing but I suspect it adds more to the appearance than to the taste.
  • T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    I cooked my 14 pounder at 375 indirect for the entire cook. I cooked it to 115 so it was pretty rare, maybe the ends were medium rare....This is 1 hour into the cook, which only ended up taking 2 hours and 45 minutes. I used a fresh herb paste so I could'nt sear for fear of burning the paste...but it still developed a nice crust.

P1010001.jpg
  • I do my prime ribs low, about 275-300, and do a sear at the end. Comes out dee-lish!