Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ever use your thermapen to intimidate waiters at a high end steak joint?

Just got my open box thermapen last night, and I was reading thru the manual.  Under uses it mentioned checking your steak with it at a restaurant.  I mentioned the idea of using it someplace like Ruth Chris or Capital Grill, and SWMBO quickly shot that idea down.  Anyone else use it to check their steak in front of the waiter, after being put on the table?

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    No. I wouldn't. I always get Ruth's Chris medium rare, and if I need it more done, I put it purple side down on the 500 degree plate for a few seconds.
  • ponder
    ponder Posts: 77
    No...if I did, I'd spend the rest of the time wondering which dish had the spit garnish in it...
    Bloomington Springs, TN... LBGE, charcuterie, winemaker, cheesemaker, experimental plumber and approximate carpenter. Selective misanthrope and budding retrophrenologist.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Hilarious! Next time at Mortons Im going to bring my thermapen along with my mad cow testing kit . The premium steak houses will cerainly understand.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    No but, I've used it at work to temp product cold and hot to show Kitchen managers how far off their "calibrated" pos Adkins thermometers are off (some off by more than 15℉+ or -). Which a lot of them have now changed over to the TP.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    I just got my "hot coals 2" thermapen in the mail a few weeks and cracked up when I read that part of the booklet. SWMBO didn't think it was too funny after I told her about it though... she hid my thermapen the next time we went out for dinner.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @mlamb01‌ & FWIW higher end places don't temp steaks for doneness. (I have serviced both the fore mentioned establishments). They use feel because for the most part they are seasoned chefs. And I have done both feel and TP for "steaks". I prefer feel personally.

Like this:
    How to Cook a Steak in a Pan - Gordon Ramsay: http://youtu.be/1FYZHkjgwdc

Yes I'm a Gordon Ramsay mark.
    B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Steak is the one food I don't cook to temp. If it looks done it's done in my book. I like them from rare to medium. 
    Aurora,OH
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    I'm sticking with temp. Different grades and cuts of beef, pork, chicken are all gonna feel different. Feel is great for someone who makes steak all day, everyday, but its the thermapen for me.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    No , since i have had my Egg and thermapen I have had no need to go to a steak house
    Not to mention a good source for meat!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    ponder said:
    No...if I did, I'd spend the rest of the time wondering which dish had the spit garnish in it...
    LOL!

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Love me some Gordon!
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Whatever you do, don't mess with people that handle your food. Could be worse than playing with fire. Don't be like this lady.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qNR0EOR4eI4
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    I can't remember the last time going out to eat steak.
    Kemah, TX
  • Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    I heard a similar idea on a morning radio show.  The article they read said that you should take your instant read thermometer to any picnics and BBQs you attend so you can check temps to verify food safety.  They all agreed that you would probably get the stink eye for doing it (and a lot less invitations).
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774

I heard a similar idea on a morning radio show.  The article they read said that you should take your instant read thermometer to any picnics and BBQs you attend so you can check temps to verify food safety.  They all agreed that you would probably get the stink eye for doing it (and a lot less invitations).

Try doing that with meat I paid 1000.00 for and you are getting free samples of my cooking and see where my handle comes from. Just saying.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Why the fark would you do that? If you're going to be that particular, buy some great steaks, egg them at home just the way you want them, and save a bundle on dining out.

That's what many (most?) on here do. :) I can't remember the last time I went to a steak place on my own dime. Prime NY strips from Costco take care of my steak craving when it hits.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dayzed&confused
    dayzed&confused Posts: 178
    edited July 2014
    I agree on that! Eating quality steak out is beyond my means and I don't get the pleasure of cooking it.
    San Angelo, texas
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    I would not even think about just cut in in the middle and if its not do right send it back now that i have my egg cant seeing spending money for a steak dinner
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I do order by temp
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Kinda like the last time i had a steak at a steak house while away from my egg  the server asked me if i would like steak sauce.

Stared at her and told her I better not need it!!!
    If it needs it i wont be eating it
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    I imagine the server would want to take my temperature with it - anally.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832

I imagine the server would want to take my temperature with it - anally.

Just be sure you steralize with alcohol.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    caliking said:

Why the fark would you do that? If you're going to be that particular, buy some great steaks, egg them at home just the way you want them, and save a bundle on dining out.

That's what many (most?) on here do. :) I can't remember the last time I went to a steak place on my own dime. Prime NY strips from Costco take care of my steak craving when it hits.

I agree with this, but everyone on here loves to go out for BBQ too, and with some exceptions, we can probably all do better. Same likely goes for Italian.

When I go out to dinner, I am going someplace that will server something I can't replicate at home.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Going out is partly for the change, the company, the ambience and hopefully, good food.
    I was taken to Ruth's Chris Steak House this weekend with a whole bunch of people. I had their lamb chops, medium rare - they nailed it. The servers were great and we all had a good time but it was the whole experience.
    I wouldn't necessarily take 'er indoors there. She likes something a little more light-hearted, although when she eats steak, it's still walking! A Thermapen probably wouldn't even register.
    :)

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields