Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Great day in USA history

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,167
45 years ago today-Apollo XI lunar landing.  Right up there with the greatest engineering feats of the modern era.  And yes, some of us were on the planet when it happened.  Have a great day!
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Without a doubt, one of the most remarkable accomplishments of mankind.

Hard to believe that there are people who believe the whole thing never happened!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I was born on the day of the launch.  My first day home and this is what my Mom and I were watching (although I don't remember).
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Smoke and mirrors!!!  All filmed in a tv studio.  There really were folks who thought that.   Of course given the wide and weird views of folks today, that is easy to understand.  I can remember watching in total awe...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    I was 14, with my family, huddled around an old Westinghouse black an white tv. Greatest scientific accomplishment in history.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

A great day for the USA.

Just imagine what we could do as a Nation today if we had the dedication and determination to succeed as those that made it possible to land on the Moon. 

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • mslaw
    Our nation has been dumbed down in the last 30 years. Adequate now is the standard. We need another visionary like John Kennedy or Ronald Regan. See, I'm being neutral by usuing a democrat and a republican
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Neil Armstrong = Boilermaker.

He Boiler'd up on the moon!!
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    @mslaw said; "We need another visionary like John Kennedy or Ronald Reagan."

We certainly haven't had one of those in the Oval Office for a long time.  But with all the folks in Congress fighting to line their pockets and empty ours, he/she would have a rough time doing anything that would be a benefit to the country as a whole.  We need a high goal to attempt to attain and then go after it.  We appear to be stuck in an age where "good enough" is OK, similar to the time following the War Between the States when "good enough" became the standard for all things.  Progress in the US was stagnant for a long time in that era.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • mslaw
    Need a good ole cleansing like a French Revolution type
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    mslaw said:
    Our nation has been dumbed down in the last 30 years. Adequate now is the standard. We need another visionary like John Kennedy or Ronald Regan. See, I'm being neutral by usuing a democrat and a republican
    Absolutely, I hope one day soon, another modest and dedicated American will step forward to lead our great county to the front of the line. Earn back the respect we have lost around the world. Lead with the wisdom of are forefathers have given to us.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    edited July 2014
    Great achievement for sure....and one f my favorite movie quotes fits right in image
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Watched the landing at Aunt Agnes' house on a black and white TV.  Amazing accomplishment for its time.  We need another visionary in power.
    "If Columbus had an advisory committee he would probably still be at the dock." - Arrhur Goldberg
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I remember the event and were I was.  A great day, a proud day. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2014
    mslaw said:
    @lousubcap - First year in college I fondly remember watching with the family as this event unfolded. Old enough to understand the significance of the technology and science, yet young enough to get excited about space travel. (sorry for the following political note)

@mslaw - so true, but IMO it was easier for both those Presidents. There was a strong and large middle class, well educated and well paid. They had the determination and the dedication to proudly get the job done, the envy of the world. Today, it is much more difficult, you are either part of the upper class (usually trying to move jobs offshore to reduce costs) or part of the one or two degree minimum wage crowd. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited July 2014
    I was 13 and playing golf when they landed, lots of car horns blowing in the hood for 5 minutes and watched 'the step' that night. 

The visionary of today, to me, is not eligible to be our President. 

He created and sold Pay-Pal and currently is the CEO of; Solar City, SpaceX and Tesla Motors. His vision of the future is for the benefit of all mankind and the earth. Elon Musk.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• mslaw
    You may be right. But, he's a capitilist.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Shameless bump because of the significance of the endeavor!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.