Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Stall Question

Options
I'm cooking a butt and when it reached the high 160's it hit the stall.   My Maverick showed that the internal temperature of the meat dropped a few degrees as the stall started.   I never noticed this before - I thought the internal temperature just - you know - stalled at a given temperature.

Did I dream this or has anyone else noticed a temperature drop?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    not at all uncommon.  Happens with brisket as well.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Not uncommon at all. I've seen a 7-8° loss. It where the fat and collagens are really starting to break down and actually cool the meat off just a bit (I think).

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes, I have seen the temp drop like that.

Here's some reading material while you wait. :)
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Evaporative cooling.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    I figured evaporative cooling would affect the outer parts of the meat.  My probe was deep in the meat so I didn't think cooling would reach that deep.   Live and learn.  Thanks for the info.

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    The absence of @SenecatheYounger (who would normally opine at length on subjects like this and he reads James Beard at bedtime) makes me wonder…………….@SGH?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields