Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Makeover

Options
Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
Howdy Y'all!

Been  reading and lurking, but not posting for quite some time.  Today I have something worthy of saying.  My almost 20 year old large is getting a makeover this weekend.  Been saving up for the needed bits and pieces as the budget allows.  Today I got started.  I'm:

1. Replacing my old style, broken hinge with a spring assisted.
2.  Replacing my old, worn gasket with a new Nomex one.
3.  Replacing my old, unscreened ash vent with a screened one.
4.  Replacing my old, rotted away Egg-Mate tables with new ones.
5.  Replacing my old, cracked firebox with a new one.  (Even though I've been cooking with it for 15 years.)

Today I pulled the old hinges off, took the top, scrapped off the old gasket and wiped everything down with Acetone to get the old adhesive off.  Tomorrow I'll take the old, broken guts out and, with the help of my neighbor (who I previously bribed with a couple of pork butts), pull the large out of the nest, replace the unscreened vent and put it back into the nest.  Next, put in the new gasket and, finally, put the new hinges on and repace the top.  It's almost a whole new Egg!

Guess my next project will be to refurbish the almost 20 year old Mini...

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sounds like a fun project. I will prolly be doing the same in 12 yrs when my egg turns 20.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • KJWILD
    KJWILD Posts: 95
    Options
    Bringing new life to a great cooker. Enjoy the experience. It is awesome that your egg is 20 years old and still functioning great. If it could talk, I bet there would be some great stories told.
    Husband, Father, Grandfather and Chef of the Home Front. XL BGE- purchased on 5/28/2014
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Huh. Didn't know the mini has been around for 20 yeara
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Quite a project... Of course, duh, pics or it didn't happen.

:))

Who am I kidding... You're an OE(G) "original egghead"

Sounds like some TLC is in order.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Agreed. I'd love to see an egg after 20 yrs of love. ;)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    that's a great story... hope it turns out like new!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Huh. Didn't know the mini has been around for 20 yeara
    Didn't say that.  Said "almost."  But, just to make you crazy, my dealer at the time didn't want one, but the distributor made him take it anyway.  It sat on the sales floor for close to two years.  

Every tine I went in he bitched  about having to have it.  So I told him: "I'll give you $50 bucks for it."  Sold, (I had no idea what the MSRP for it was.)  It was competely and old stye Mini though.
  • KJWILD
    KJWILD Posts: 95
    Options
    Pictures please?
    Husband, Father, Grandfather and Chef of the Home Front. XL BGE- purchased on 5/28/2014
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I got my mini I think 5 maybe 6 years ago now. Paid 215.00 for it cut I got the best with it.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Howdy Y'all!

Been  reading and lurking, but not posting for quite some time.  Today I have something worthy of saying.  My almost 20 year old large is getting a makeover this weekend.  Been saving up for the needed bits and pieces as the budget allows.  Today I got started.  I'm:

1. Replacing my old style, broken hinge with a spring assisted.
    2.  Replacing my old, worn gasket with a new Nomex one.
    3.  Replacing my old, unscreened ash vent with a screened one.
    4.  Replacing my old, rotted away Egg-Mate tables with new ones.
    5.  Replacing my old, cracked firebox with a new one.  (Even though I've been cooking with it for 15 years.)

Today I pulled the old hinges off, took the top, scrapped off the old gasket and wiped everything down with Acetone to get the old adhesive off.  Tomorrow I'll take the old, broken guts out and, with the help of my neighbor (who I previously bribed with a couple of pork butts), pull the large out of the nest, replace the unscreened vent and put it back into the nest.  Next, put in the new gasket and, finally, put the new hinges on and repace the top.  It's almost a whole new Egg!

Guess my next project will be to refurbish the almost 20 year old Mini...

Hi Kelly! How's things in Jefferson City! Yup - Though I flipped over my 70 card this month I 'm still on the green side of the grass!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.