Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggsessories

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if the plate setter and the cast iron grill are worthwhile for the egg? Anyone have a clue as to what the should cost? [p]Thanks

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Jeff,[p]In my opinion, the platesetter is a must have and is worth EVERY penny. On the other hand, cast iron grate is not something I use much. I find it is heavy and hard to move (when adding lump, etc.). If you're in Atlanta, I'll give you a good deal on mine![p]Smokey
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Jeff in TN, Yes and Yes. They both run aroun $35 to $40 each, depending where you buy them.

• Jeff in TN,
    Plate setter is a must. I bought one from the BGE dealer for $35.00.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Jeff in TN,[p]Been eggin for two years and don't have either, I've been gettin buy with a pizza stone and a few things that I've made. Now I would say that the BGE stone would be the stone of choice.[p]Scott

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Jeff in TN,
    I'm definitely a fan of the plate sitter as it is versatile for pizzas, baking and indirect cooks too. As for the cast iron I only have one I cut myself for my small BGE - I have never switched back and I prefer it for the higher temp cooks I do on the small. OTOH I have no desire to switch for my others...funny huh?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AL
    AL Posts: 81
    When you say grate, you dont mean the metal plate with holes that the charcoal sits on right? I assume you are talking about the piece you place the food on. Someone please tell me the advantage of a cast iron grate. And yes to buying a plate setter, it is great for indirect cooking.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0446.jpg
    <p />al,
    if for no other reason a cast iron grate will produce some pretty bodacious sear marks on your steaks and burgers. Trust me these will make any gassey user weep!!! This pix is from my early attempts and now I can create a near perfect cross hatch every time.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thanks all, I will purchase the plate setter, and think about the cast iron grill. [p]
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    T-rex.jpg
    <p />Jeff in TN,
    The platsetter is a "must have" at around $25.00.
    Also nothing sears better than a cast iron cooking grate. They run around $40.00. Well worth it to me though. Even though I relly just use it for steaks and burgers.

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    jake42,
    Were do you get the cast iron grill, I have a large Egg?

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Glenn,
    I got one for my large and medium through my local retailor. They get my egccesories in on their regular Green Egg order and they are kind enough not to charge me for shipping. They get it in I go pick it up.