Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

USED: LBGE

Options
I have an opportunity to purchase a slightly used (8 months) garage kept and perfectly maintained LBGE from my buddy. Comes with nest and handler, plate setter etc. I am a 6 year egg head so this will be an addition that was going to happen one day regardless how the purchase was made. My question/delema is what to pay for this, we have been friends for 36 years and he told me to pay him what ever I wanted. So I am seeking some advise from my fello eggheads, I realize some of you will have fun with this and others will be serious and I accept all responses with open arms. In case I forget to thank anyone, thank you all in advance. OH!!!!!, the big question I'm sure everyone wants to know is " WHY IS HE SELLING IT".............silence..........crickets.........the suspense is killing you I know..................He bought an XL

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    So, why is he selling it????
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Ah, Texanofthenorth. I know where you are going with this and your correct, however he has a small family and chooses to have only one egg
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    So, did he never use the Large?  Or is it that he used it for many years until he got the XL, and it's been sitting in the garage ever since?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    $700 to a friend that could get you warranty service if needed.
    Jacksonville FL
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Considering it won't be under warranty (unless you want to work something out with him so that he filed any warranty claims) I'd offer him 60-75% of whatever they sell for in your area.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Johnincarolina, as stated in my first sentence (no sarcasm intended) the egg is 8 months old. Garage kept because he pushes it out of his garage every time he eggs then puts it back. He just purchased the XL
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    The warranty work would be my concern as well. If he'll help you out, it is worth much more. Without the warranty, I'd be in the $500 range.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    Dobie said:

Should I just take in account the cost of the egg and handler or include all the Eggcessories
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Dobie said:

Should I just take in account the cost of the egg and handler or include all the Eggcessories
    How good a friend do you consider "yourself"? If it were me, I'd want to give him fair value for whatever he was willing to sell me. If he refuses your fair value offer and says he'll take less then I'd pay less.
    Options
    Johnincarolina, as stated in my first sentence (no sarcasm intended) the egg is 8 months old. Garage kept because he pushes it out of his garage every time he eggs then puts it back. He just purchased the XL

Thanks - I thought maybe the 8 months referred to how long it had been sitting in the garage. With a friend, I'd add up what everything costs brand new (or what he paid for it) and subtract say 10-15 %. Then I would just tell him how you arrived at the offer and ask him if he thinks it is fair.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    The warranty work would be my concern as well. If he'll help you out, it is worth much more. Without the warranty, I'd be in the $500 range.

Good point on the warranty, I don't think that would be an issue based on our friendship.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Dobie said:

How good a friend do you consider "yourself"? If it were me, I'd want to give him fair value for whatever he was willing to sell me. If he refuses your fair value offer and says he'll take less then I'd pay less.

Funny you should mention it that way. He told me to find out what a used one is worth then pay him half of that. Guess that's where my delema part came in. As I want this real bad a great price I'm not wanting to take advantage of our friendship
  • midwestsmoker
    Options

Thanks - I thought maybe the 8 months referred to how long it had been sitting in the garage. With a friend, I'd add up what everything costs brand new (or what he paid for it) and subtract say 10-15 %. Then I would just tell him how you arrived at the offer and ask him if he thinks it is fair.

Good point, thanks
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Dobie said:

I was figuring the egg, nest, handler and plate setter you mentioned. Look someone is going to buy it and it might as well be you. It's not like the guy is hurting for funds and your trying to take advantage of a friend.
    Jacksonville FL
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Dobie said:

I was figuring the egg, nest, handler and plate setter you mentioned. Look someone is going to buy it and it might as well be you. It's not like the guy is hurting for funds and your trying to take advantage of a friend.

Thanks, the good thing is he knew I was planning on a second LBGE so he never considered selling it to anyone else. It is a 6 hour round trip to pick it up.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Dobie said:

Thanks, the good thing is he knew I was planning on a second LBGE so he never considered selling it to anyone else. It is a 6 hour round trip to pick it up.
    That might make the warranty issue a little more troublesome if you'll have a 6 hour round trip anytime you need your friend to file a claim.
    Options
    I would add it all up and take 20% off the price. As others have said if he is such a long term friend I would be a little more generous in my offer knowing he is probably not going to take that much in the end anyways. The three hour drive and warranty wouldn't be an issue for me. Did he register it? If not just ask if he still has the receipt and your good to go. If he did sounds like a good excuse for a weekend trip for some food, drink and good friendly companionship! You send him the pictures to file the claim, drive up with some meat in a cooler and share a nice meal cook on his XL, pick up your part and head on home.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    I would add it all up and take 20% off the price. As others have said if he is such a long term friend I would be a little more generous in my offer knowing he is probably not going to take that much in the end anyways. The three hour drive and warranty wouldn't be an issue for me. Did he register it? If not just ask if he still has the receipt and your good to go. If he did sounds like a good excuse for a weekend trip for some food, drink and good friendly companionship! You send him the pictures to file the claim, drive up with some meat in a cooler and share a nice meal cook on his XL, pick up your part and head on home.

Got that right, we do make frequent trips to each other's place for cooks. Thanks for the advise
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Give him $50. With a second egg you can make new friends. ...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Lols jk broski
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I think $500 is the buddy deal. Fair for both but you'll still be able to look each other in the eye when you see each other. I would pay less if it were a stranger but $100 is nothing between buddies. That's a bar tab one way or the other. No blood.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I agree with Cen-Tex. thats perfectly fair and you can always make up a little more with other stuff.

Little Rock, AR

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    Just for reference I just picked up one for $550 LBGE had all you've mentioned with this one ... Not friends though just someone who advertised to sell it... It was three weeks old used twice

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    Give him $50. With a second egg you can make new friends. ...

That's good, however I may not get very far when figures out the check is for $50 not $500
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    I think $500 is the buddy deal. Fair for both but you'll still be able to look each other in the eye when you see each other. I would pay less if it were a stranger but $100 is nothing between buddies. That's a bar tab one way or the other. No blood.

Glad to hear that because that's the number I keep going back to
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    I agree with Cen-Tex. thats perfectly fair and you can always make up a little more with other stuff.

Great, thanks
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Just for reference I just picked up one for $550 LBGE had all you've mentioned with this one ... Not friends though just someone who advertised to sell it... It was three weeks old used twice

Congrats on the awesome deal and thanks for the input
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I'd say 500.00 delivered and set up. And as a bonus you can cook him a hot dog and send him on his way. :))
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    It is a shame that we now have to be so concerned about the warranty for a product that used to be made like a tank.

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    It is a shame that we now have to be so concerned about the warranty for a product that used to be made like a tank.

IKR, I've been pretty lucky so far. Thanks