Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steel prep table - magnetic/tape supported tool bar?

Options
Hi, I need some advice.

I have a steel prep table next to my egg, and I am unable to use a screw or bolt on the side frame of the table because there is a supporting bar under the frame so the side thickness is too much.

Has anyone used a tool bar or individual tool hooks that are supported by magnets or tough double sided tape that can support many pounds of tools?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Sounds to me like your perfect solution is to drill holes in the frame of your table and then using a "tap" you can thread the hole to accept bolts to secure a tool bar to your table. Not too many magnets are going to hold "pounds" of tools. Maybe you have a buddy with a tap and die set, if not you can buy individual taps and do it yourself. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    If your grill tools that your trying to hang have some ferrous properties you could use a magnetic bar/strip to your table and then tools to the bar. That bar can be purchased at many locations. Keep in mind most SS (at leaat the good stuff is not magnetic). Just a thought to try.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    If your grill tools that your trying to hang have some ferrous properties you could use a magnetic bar/strip to your table and then tools to the bar. That bar can be purchased at many locations. Keep in mind most SS (at leaat the good stuff is not magnetic). Just a thought to try.

Guess I misunderstood, but I thought he was asking about a magnetic board that would attach to his table so that he could then put hooks on it to hold pounds of tools. My suggestion was to bolt that bar to his table instead. That way whether the table Is ferrous or non ferrous won't matter and as long as the bolt has a bite at least as long as the diameter of the bolt it will be good and secure.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @RRP‌ +1 w/ ya Ron. Your suggestion would be ideal and I really don't think a magnetic bar would be the best suited for this particular application. But, based on what was asked at the beginning was what I went by. Bolt on would definitely be better IMHO. I wouldn't use a magnetic bar unless it was high quality and made for fine knives. That would be about it and even that wouldn't be attached to my egg table.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ivada
    ivada Posts: 25
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL and @RRP, both of you have proposed valid options.  I just checked and the table is magnetic.  It is obviously not high quality SS as that would not be magnetic, but I'm not complaining. I'm going to explore the tap and die method since that will definitely be more secure in terms of holding a fair amount of weight.  Thanks for the suggestions!

I will appreciate any other experiences from the others.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Here's mine... Used SS hardware for the Q tools .
    Zoom in to see hardware. Very simplistic design. This may work for your application. image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ivada
    edited July 2014
    Options
    That's a very nice table!!!

I can do exactly this since the front of my table frame is not too thick at all.  However, I'm trying to install on the sides where the steel plate at the bottom is adding to the thickness.
  • RRP
    Options
    ivada said:
    That's a very nice table!!!

I can do exactly this since the front of my table frame is not too thick at all.  However, I'm trying to install on the sides where the steel plate at the bottom is adding to the thickness.
    can you borrow a caliper from someone to determine the actual thickness you have to deal with? My tap idea may work or OTOH if the thickness you have may be easily solved with just holes drilled through and then bolts secured with nuts meaning a very easy solution! Sorry I don't live close by or we could get this whole issue resolved quickly. Good night!
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @ivada‌ thank you. The tool hooks are SS carriage bolts sandwiched with two SS nuts which allows for movement in & out or can also easily remove if need be. Like I said simplistic. I like it and they work nicely. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    I use double sided car molding tape on some applications. It holds so strong that the metal may bend if you try to remove.
  • RRP
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    I use double sided car molding tape on some applications. It holds so strong that the metal may bend if you try to remove.
    hmmm, never heard of that - I use double sided carpet tape for certain projects, but I bet that car molding tape is waterproof - right?
  • Tspud1
    Options
    It is and very strong, it's a 3M product. I usually buy a case and it comes 24 rolls.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    edited July 2014
    Options

Are Self-Tapping screws a Canadian only thing?

Seems to me that these would be ideal - so long as you have enough thickness of the material that they'll 'grab' something.... I don't see why you couldn't put some tool hooks, or larger bar on the side of the table with these....

[img]http://howtomakeanelectricskateboard.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/truss-head-self-drilling-screw.jpg [/img]

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • RRP
    Options
    BRush00 said:

No - we call them "politicians" down here
  • ivada
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    It is and very strong, it's a 3M product. I usually buy a case and it comes 24 rolls.
    Is this the one?  http://www.amazon.com/3M-03614-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape/dp/B002JOVUO0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405636373&sr=8-1&keywords=car+molding+tape
  • ivada
    Options
    RRP said:
    BRush00 said:

No - we call them "politicians" down here

:)
  • ivada
    Options
    Here are a couple of pics, hopefully they'll be helpful.  The plate below the frame looks to be about 3-4" long.  I'm pretty sure it is not solid steel, just sheet metal that is hollow inside.  So not sure if self-tapping screws will work.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

Looking at those pictures, I'd be willing to bet that is square-tubing (hollow). 

Self tapping screws would be my 1st try, if they don't work, you can always drill the same hole a bit wider (straight through the other side) and use a bolt/nut to fasten anything to the side.

Personally, I'd get annoyed with a magnet approach as I am guessing that I'd constantly knock it off.  The tap and die set would work too, but the only advantage over a bolt and nut is that you wouldn't see a nut on the inside/underneath the table.  For simplicity sake, I'd just not bother with that either.

Good luck.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Ivada, that's exactly what I use. I paid $6.08 a roll with shipping. I found some more in my office after I ordered so I have extra if interested. Use it on this style table.
  • RRP
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Ivada, that's exactly what I use. I paid $6.08 a roll with shipping. I found some more in my office after I ordered so I have extra if interested. Use it on this style table.
    Cool table! Make it yourself or bought it? If the latter, then what brand?
  • ivada
    Options
    RRP said:
    Tspud1 said:
    That is a nice table!  What is it?
  • ivada
    Options
    BRush00 said:

Looking at those pictures, I'd be willing to bet that is square-tubing (hollow). 

Self tapping screws would be my 1st try, if they don't work, you can always drill the same hole a bit wider (straight through the other side) and use a bolt/nut to fasten anything to the side.

Personally, I'd get annoyed with a magnet approach as I am guessing that I'd constantly knock it off.  The tap and die set would work too, but the only advantage over a bolt and nut is that you wouldn't see a nut on the inside/underneath the table.  For simplicity sake, I'd just not bother with that either.

Good luck.

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm going to try the self tapping screws on a off-the-shelf tool bar.  If I "screw" up ( @-)) I can go back to the automotive molding tape idea.  Magnets are out!
  • Tspud1
    Options
    ivada said:
    RRP said:
    Tspud1 said:
    http://www.outdoorkitchenequip.com/

There are stainless self tapping screws.
  • ivada
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    ivada said:
    RRP said:
    Tspud1 said:
    http://www.outdoorkitchenequip.com/

There are stainless self tapping screws.
    Wow there are some awesome tables on that website, though most of them are more than my mortgage payment :-)
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @ivada‌ quality SS most definitely is not cheap.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ivada
    Options
    Done!  Self tapping steel screws and a generic tool bar.  Thanks for your help and advice everyone!!