Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The ribeye and I finally took the plunge

Options
bweekes
bweekes Posts: 725
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
Inspiration post here:

My first dive into SV ribeye went as follows:

Cowboy ribeye, about 1.75 inches thick. Removed from vacuum package, patted dry and salt and pepper. Added rosemary for aromatics, with a bit of balsamic. Into a vac bag and sealed. Set the SV to 131 for 90 minutes. Sparked the XL and dropped my cast iron griddle on the lower level of the woo2. Got the egg up to about 500, but was probably closer to 600 by the time I put the steak on. Pulled the steak out of the bath right at the 90 minute mark, patted dry, seasoned w/ DP raising the steaks, and seared for about 60 seconds/side on the griddle, basting with a garlic rosemary butter I collected in the well of the griddle. 

Overall, it was a completely different flavour profile than my traditional reverse sear. Not sure what texture I like better to be honest. I think SV might really shine w/ tougher cuts of meat. I did a skirt steak on the weekend, and I was more impressed with that compared with this ribeye. We'll see where this SV journey takes me from here! @Hapster, at one point, I contemplated scrapping the cast iron griddle and dropping the steak on the coals. Needless to say, I chickened out through fear of overcooking!... Maybe next time! 

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
Ajax, ON Canada
(XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    All I can say is WOW!
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I am looking forward to other comments, I have not hit a home run yet with my SV, that sure looks good thou. So far my wife like reverse seared steaks the best off the XL
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Dang.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    looks great.  i'm new to all of this, so what is the sort of half plate / grate your you used to to grill your masterpiece?   thanks.
  • bweekes
    Options
    The Cen-Tex SmokerCymbaline65double nolaegghead and the many others I've missed - would love to be the beneficiary of your collective wisdom!
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • bweekes
    Options
    victor1 said:
    looks great.  i'm new to all of this, so what is the sort of half plate / grate your you used to to grill your masterpiece?   thanks.
    I used the BGE half moon cast iron griddle. 

I find it works well for things like cowboy ribeyes (where the bone would otherwise prevent it from sitting flat in a traditional cast iron pan), and seafood (for ease of flipping).
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    =D>
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    Looks Great! =D>

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I'd eat it...

:))
    Looks amazing... If you do it caveman style, don't SV it first. A cut like that I'd just go with sea salt, pepper, garlic salt, and then do it 3-4min a side and start checking with the thermapen.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Daaayum!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bweekes
    Options
    Thanks for the praise guys! I learned almost everything I know about BBQ right here on this forum. I'm glad I stopped lurking and got involved in the discussions. The folks on this forum are always willing to support you and lend advice! Cheers!
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Options
    I have no words for this post..
    =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • speleoegg
    speleoegg Posts: 67
    Options
    Awesome!  Where did you get the steak?  Couldn't make out from the sticker.

1 Large BGE, 1 Keg & 1 Joe Jr

Ajax, Ontario
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Awesome! ^:)^

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• bweekes
    Options
    speleoegg said:
    I see you're a fellow Ajaxian! Got that steak from Totera - they now dry age thicker cuts of tomahawks. I'm frequently up in Vaughan, and Totera has become my butcher of choice when in that area. They're at Keele and Major Mac. Locally, I'm either at Buckingham in Whitby or Bruno's in Pickering. But my favourite Butcher shop is the Healthy Butcher. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Was the rosemary overpowering? Seems like a lot.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bweekes
    Options
    It was my first time adding aromatics to a SV cook. I was expecting it to be overpowering, but it imparted a very light rosemary flavour. To be honest, it didn't make much of a difference. The dizzy pig rub was the most prominent flavour by far. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • speleoegg
    speleoegg Posts: 67
    Options
    bweekes said:
    speleoegg said:
    I see you're a fellow Ajaxian! Got that steak from Totera - they now dry age thicker cuts of tomahawks. I'm frequently up in Vaughan, and Totera has become my butcher of choice when in that area. They're at Keele and Major Mac. Locally, I'm either at Buckingham in Whitby or Bruno's in Pickering. But my favourite Butcher shop is the Healthy Butcher. 

Thanks for the info. I use Bruno's most of the time. Will check Totera out. The steak was top shelf!

1 Large BGE, 1 Keg & 1 Joe Jr

Ajax, Ontario
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited July 2014
    Options
    bweekes said:
    It was my first time adding aromatics to a SV cook. I was expecting it to be overpowering, but it imparted a very light rosemary flavour. To be honest, it didn't make much of a difference. The dizzy pig rub was the most prominent flavour by far. 

Probably because you didn't have in sv but for 90 min. I throw mine in at lunch a lot and come home 5 hours later and sear it. I have screwed up some meat due to seasoning in the SV. I only use salt in the bag and season the rest after the bath before the sear
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bweekes
    Options
    bweekes said:

Probably because you didn't have in sv but for 90 min. I throw mine in at lunch a lot and come home 5 hours later and sear it. I have screwed up some meat due to seasoning in the SV. I only use salt in the bag and season the rest after the bath before the sear
    Agreed. I have yet to do a long cook on the SV. I'm sure the aromatics could get overpowering with longer cook times. Hey quick question - do you notice a difference in texture when you do steak for 5 hours vs. 90 minutes?
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited July 2014
    Options
    So as fun as it was to do that post, I never do beef SV anymore. It's cool to do a wall to wall med rare steak but I don't like it as much as just reverse sear. Where SV really shines in my book is with veggies, delicate proteins like fish, and lean muscle cuts like chicken breast and pork tenderloins. Poached eggs are also out of this world. You can pasteurize eggs so they can be totally runny but still safe to eat. Just do a few boneless skinless chicken breasts tomorrow for fun. No seasoning. Just 147 for 2 hrs then season as you like and hit them with that cast iron half moon for 30 seconds a side. You will never have a better, juicier chicken breast in your life.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I think 4-5 hours is still fine, but much longer and the meat takes on a braised texture that I don't like. I don't SV my steaks often though. Usually I do pork and chicken SV. The reverse sear on the egg has given me better steak results.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I will say that burgers are also really fun to do SV but I feel the same way about them as I do steaks. Good, but I prefer reverse sear or just grilled. You can actually pasteurize burgers at 132 and eat med rare bright pink burgers that are 100% safe. Just semi-freeze the patties before sealing so they don't get smashed In the process. Worth a try but I rarely do it anymore.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bweekes
    Options
    I will say that burgers are also really fun to do SV but I feel the same way about them as I do steaks. Good, but I prefer reverse sear or just grilled. You can actually pasteurize burgers at 132 and eat med rare bright pink burgers that are 100% safe. Just semi-freeze the patties before sealing so they don't get smashed In the process. Worth a try but I rarely do it anymore.
    Thatgrimguy and Cen-Tex - I feared this would be the case. As I said in my initial post, I preferred my reverse sear steak to this SV one I did. I was hoping it was something I could have improved in the SV cook, but looks like I got my answer from both of you. Will definitely try other things - really looking forward to chicken breast. Before I give up on SV beef, I'd like to try a longer short rib cook. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I love short ribs. But not after 72 hours like so many recommend I like mine at about 40-48 hours
  • bweekes
    Options
    I love short ribs. But not after 72 hours like so many recommend I like mine at about 40-48 hours
    Good call. I was worried about "mushiness". Maybe i'll try 48 hours first and see how that goes. Thanks!
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Great looking steak, nice post with good pics!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Impressive
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Reminds me of that time in Lajitas where the the charcoal grill was a mile away and you did impromptu sous vide rib eyes in an Igloo cooler or something and it turned out very good.  That's the only time I have been involved in a sous vide (or sous anything) so I've never taken the plunge to buy the gear.  I have Igloo coolers all over the place if needed.  

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.