Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin Question

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking a 6 lb beef tenderloin for a family party this afternoon. I'm thinking of following Mad Max's prime rib method, figure about 2 hours cooking time. Any suggestions?[p]Cheers,
C~Q

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    i wouldn't do it quite that way....with a whole tenderloin, i'd go with more of t-rex method. . . .first, if it as the thin 'tail' at one end, tuck it in and tie it so that you have a pretty uniform diameter from one end to the other. .. sear it at nuke temps for about 2 minutes per direct (rolling it for a total searing of no more than 8 minutes). ...let it rest for 20 minutes while you get the egg back to 400 degrees, then either roast it direct, turning it a few times, or go indirect (grid over inverted plate setter) till it hits 120 - 125 internal. .. pull it, rest it, carve it, enjoy it!! . .. .[p]good treatments for the tenderloin are olive oil w/ kosher salt/pepper, or something like dizzy cowlick. .. .[p]you can also go the 'drunk and dirty' method.. .. i don't have it readily available, but you could certainly google it (cooking method would still be the same) .. . .[p]finally as a side garnish. .. . in a saute pan in some evoo, saute some finely chpped pancetta, mushrooms (any will do), shallots, parsley, with a splash of white wine. .. goes great with the tenderloin. ...[p]good luck[p]max

• Citizen Q
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    It's all trussed up and ready to go, so how much time do you figure? At just under 6 lbs, about and hour total cooking time plus the 20 minute rest? [p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    careful on the dwell, probably around 40 minutes, so yea, a little over an hour for the whole deal ...

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    one other thing.. . even though it weighs 6 pounds, it is very lean and not very thick, so it will cook a lot quicker than say, a 6 pound ribroast. ...keep a close eye on it. . ..

• BGEJeff
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Max you remind me of Ole Justin Wilson, A Little wine, a little more wine. Fond memories.[p]Jeff

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Will do. Funny you should mention it though, I got up at 6:30 this morning to light the fire for your rib roast. I just stood there in the light of the fridge looking back and forth at the rib and the tenderloin before deciding my family wasn't good enough for your prime rib. I just finished prepping it and putting it away to age for the next 2 weeks. A nice New Year's Eve dinner of dry aged rib eye steaks ought to do the trick. [p]Thanks Max,
    Sean

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    You're a timely dude. Just last night after yet another work related Christmas party (one more tonight) Sharon asked me to do a beef tenderloin for Christmas. I was about to try to find a good recipe. [p]You are obviously my guardian angel....but, Man! you sure do dress wierd sometimes....and, you have somewhat questionable NFL allegiances. Love you anyway.[p]Lawn "Man, I'm Pooped" Ranger

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]How did things go squaring up with the Butcher?[p]
    Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BGEJeff,
    funny thing is, i can't stand to drink wine. .. i cook with it a lot, but can't stand the taste to drink it. . . .go figure. . ..

• Citizen Q, I did a 7 pounder last week using the drunk and dirty recipe. I seared it 2 minutes on each side in a frying pan on the stove and then cooked it on the Egg at 225 grate temp. It took 1 1/2 hours.[p]Good luck with yours.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    ??????????? Max, do you drink anything in the way of adult beverages?????[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    New Bob,
    i drink maybe 6 beers a year, and only as long as it stays ice cold.. .and maybe a bloody mary or two in a special situation. . .that, and i figured out a long time ago that i can act like just as big a fool stone-cold sober as i can inebriated, and i'll feel a whole lot better the next morning, so why bother? .. .i just kinda lost the taste for the stuff years ago. . .for most of the past 35 years my bevarage of choice has been coca cola ....now that i've given that up, my beverage of choice is a 2cent plain :) . ..

• Chubby,
    There's no need, state law prohibits any merchant from selling merchandise at a price higher than marked, so in effect, I would be asking him to perform a criminal act in charging me the full price and my conscience would not sit well with that.[p]I actually informed the meat guy about the mistake when I picked it up. The karma comes in that the last time I informed these guys of a mistake, it was that the Johnsonville Brats I wanted were all 2 - 3 weeks past expiration.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q