Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This Forum is Expensive...

Egg And I
Egg And I Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I was looking to replace a few spare parts on my ancient Weber Genesis gasser...found the spares would cost as much as a new one. Except that the new ones were more expensive...who'd pay 600 bux for a gas grill, thinks I? Not that you can't get 'em for ten times that... [p]To summarize a bunch of hours doing research on the 'net, wound up here, and now, thanks to you folks, own a large in a nest (table plans already in the works), plate setter, grill extender, with cast iron grill and side tables on the way from the mothership. Oh, yeah, the wireless Guru...man is that an impressive piece of gear! If you haven't seen one, the workmanship is first rate.[p]First cook last night was a nice thick ribeye from Union Meats, TRex'd, with the basic salt-pepper-mustard-EVOO treatment. Used three small chunks of mesquite for the roast time. I'm used to cooking steaks the same way inside...sear, then finish in the oven...this was better...wife gets irritated when I throw wood chunks on the stove...[p]Plans include a spatchcocked chicken tonight; think I'll use a wet rub of butter, lemon zest, S&P, sage, and sweet Hungarian paprika under the skin. Have a brisket in the freezer and am dry aging a strip loin for steaks. Life is good.[p]Thanks to all here for the tips, hints, raves about the egg...when I add up all the money this forum has cost me I'm gonna...have to hide the bills from the treasurer!![p]

Comments

• The Egg And I,
    welcome neighbor!! .. . . where are you in MD. .. while i'm across the river in arlington, we do have a lot of fellow eggers on your side as well. . .and if you know roy and bill at union meats, well then, you've got it all covered!! . .. they have great stuff at good prices. ..we buy all our competition briskets from them. ..next time you are there, buy some 'hanger' steaks. ... great flavor, and not very expensive. ...[p]also, the vietnamese guy with the poultry counter does a beautiful job butchering chickens.. ..[p]i have a monthly meeting i go to downtown, and make it a habit to go to eastern market while downtown . ...[p]btw. .. . keep your eyes open for the waldorf eggfest in may (i think its the 6th next year, but i'm not sure).... great time, with lots of great folks, and great food. ..[p]

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    The Egg And I,
    Welcome, The weber makes a grat storage for your platedsetters and such!

• Jopa,
    I agree my Weber does a fantastic job of storing Lump and keeping it dry. LOL

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Mornin' The Egg And I,
    Welcome to the fold.
    Just tell that woman of yours who the boss is & who wears the pants in the family!!!
    Please, just don't tell my wife I said that.
    Cheers & happy holidays
    bruce

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks for the comments...I'm in Laurel just off the parkway...yesterday was my first trip to Union Meats, saw some notes about it in the forum (may even have been yours?) and thought I'd pick up a prime rib for Christmas dinner. Great place, although I made the mistake of driving down and couldn't find a parking place within blocks...went back & took the metro which I shoulda done in the first place.[p]Any good places to buy lump around here? (your side of the river, too) Got a couple of bags of BGE from Barbecues Galore, any other good brands available in this area?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    The Egg And I,
    you have either been lurkin or cookin for a long time... you already sound like mad max or one of our other guru/sages.[p]welcome aboard.[p](these people are a little nuts, i'm just here for the tips, being perfectly normal myself)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Nice to see another fellow marylander. As Mad Max Beyond Eggdome noted, there are several who post here fairly regularly, including some in the College Park area. I'm pretty new, although I lurked for quite a while before posting.

If you find good sources of lump in the area, please let me know. Whole Foods, some Ace Hardwares, etc., carry various brands. I'm trying to find a source of Wicked Good in the area but so far it seems that direct shipment from either New England or the Shenandoah Valley distributor (near Harrisonburg) are the only options.

And yeah, this forum really is expensive . . . B)
  • stike,
    Been cooking since I was a kid & mom let me make messes in the kitchen; did quite a bit of cooking during my bachelor years since it was cheaper than eating out; i tell people that when we got married i could cook & she couldn't so i hadda keep at it or starve (mind you, i don't say that too loud when she's around); truth is, i enjoy doing it...her version is that i like to cook and she likes to eat, good combination...[p]

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    The Egg And I,
    Nothing is expensive if it is good value for money. And the EGG matches anything I have ever bought for value for money, relaxation value, and spectacular food.
    So expensive, No Way. Good Value, You Bet.
    Roger

• ...and they look pretty good on her, too...

• Jopa,
    Should'a thought of that, sent all that aluminum to the recycle bin. Think I saw a coke can with weber stamped on it the other day...

• irishrog,[p]couldn't agree more, quality is cheaper in the long run. Cheers.
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    The Egg And I,[p]First of all, your family won't want to go out to eat any more, since restaurant food is not nearly as good as what you make for them on the Egg. If the Egg saves you one restaurant meal a month, it'll pay for itself pretty darn quick, even if you factor in the cost of lump and meat.[p]Which brings me to my second point -- stuff cooked on the Egg is moist and tender, even if you use cheap cuts of meat [which are lower fat, by the way]. So you save there, too![p]And don't get rid of your old gas grill -- it's great for cleaning the crud off your BGE grid -- just fire it up with a big piece of heavy aluminum foil on top of the grid, wait ten minutes, and there you are, without using up any of your lump charcoal.
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    The Egg And I,
    Welcome aboard. You will probably never eat out or "cook in" again.
    It seems that if you have table plans in the works you may want to forget about those side tables though. and just use something else until your table is ready. Once you build that table you are going to wind up with about $70.00 worth of table wings that you can't use.
    just my 2 cents.

• The Egg And I,Enough said you an EGGHEAD!!!! Welcome to the klan. Once set up the food you turn out will more than cover up the cost. But be warned it grows on you and soon you will have more than one.
    Good EGGIN' to You,
    Poppasam